Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Any all year GTOs

so i'm thinking about getting rid of my z and my pick up and just getting one car. I was just wondering if there was anyone who drive there gto year round in anywere it snows.

Red
    04 GTO

i drive mine year round but not were it snows, u just have to get use to the gas prices. Its a fun car to drive so why not have it on the street were it belongs and not in the garage.(that's just me though)

I'm from Chicago, I know winter.

This is my first winter in the GTO and it's been nothing but awesome. Just slap a set of snow tires on there and don't be heavy on the throttle. I have driven it through the biggest snow storms we've had this year without issue.

Oh, and by snow tires I mean all four. Some idiots think only the two in the rear make a difference - FALSE. Those are the ones who total their cars and say that rear-wheel drive is impossible in the winter.

2002 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk | 2006 Pontiac GTO
    Pictures and Videos of my cars

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    I'm from Chicago, I know winter.

This is my first winter in the GTO and it's been nothing but awesome. Just slap a set of snow tires on there and don't be heavy on the throttle. I have driven it through the biggest snow storms we've had this year without issue.

Oh, and by snow tires I mean all four. Some idiots think only the two in the rear make a difference - FALSE. Those are the ones who total their cars and say that rear-wheel drive is impossible in the winter.
    well thats good to hear, i live staight east of chicago so we have about the same weather- cold, did you get a set of winter wheels as well or just tires?

Yeah, just a set of stockers to kick around in. They can be had for cheap and I hate going through the hassle of mounting and balancing every winter season. I never trust the idiots at those places.

And I have a 45min commute. It's always nice to have a LS2 on tap when you get the slow drivers in the winter cluttering the highway.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Yeah, just a set of stockers to kick around in. They can be had for cheap and I hate going through the hassle of mounting and balancing every winter season. I never trust the idiots at those places.
    thats what i was planning, as the car i'm interested in has a set of aftermarket wheels that i don't think would take winter that well

cyclone grey
    2006 pontiac gto

i drive up in the sandia's with no prob's
    2006 gto cyclone grey ls2 m6
    aps tt system,90mm ported fast intake,elite catch can,b&m short shifter,fiske profil 10 18x8 1/2 245/40/18ZR 38mm offset fr 18x9 1/2rr 275/40/18ZR 51mm offset rr,Magnaflow cat
    back.
    2006 GSXR1000 with to much done to it then i'm willing to write about.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

From just down the road, Detroit.
    I got caught on I-75 just south of the city where a series of overpasses exists. It had rained till about 3:00pm. Then the bottom fell out of thermostat. It was solid ice up and down a series hills as well. Kept the traction control on, feathered the pedal in 2nd and 3rd gear and never a problem. Everybody else was all over the road - that's the biggest problem, the other idiots...

Black
    00 WS6

I drove my 04 GTO in the snow for two years. First year with stock tires, it sucked!!! The second year I bought some snow tires and the GTO was ok in the snow.

I just drove through the biggest snowstorm I think we've had all year in Chicago in the GTO. Stayed stable the entire way, just have to baby it around 90degree turns.

Not sure I'd be able to say the same thing without snow tires.

Black
    04 GTO

North Dakota

I drive mine in Bismarck (capitol city, pretty close to the center of the state), where damn the weather just sucks. But anyways no problems here, just easy on the throttle and very easy on the 90 degree turns. But then again, sliding (fish tailing is fun anyway when it happens) is inevitable here

Hope this makes you feel better.

Later
    1stgto

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by 1stgto View Post
    I drive mine in Bismarck (capitol city, pretty close to the center of the state), where damn the weather just sucks. But anyways no problems here, just easy on the throttle and very easy on the 90 degree turns. But then again, sliding (fish tailing is fun anyway when it happens) is inevitable here

Hope this makes you feel better.

Later
    1stgto
    north dakota? yeah fish tailing around corners is always the best part of a snow storm

Black
    2000 T/A

i agree, best part

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

ok so i've been meaning to get back to this thread, thank you all for your input, sounds like if my plan goes through and i get the gto i'm eyeballing i shouldn't have any problems with the damn indiana winters haha, on a related note how bad would it be to try to sell a dodge pick up on this site? just wondering, thanks again

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I don't have too many snows around here but we did get a good frost and my GTO handled it fine. Loving it as a DD otherwise.

Nero
    2006 gto

I live in RI, so I can definitely tell you about snow. Not only snow, but totally shit roads too. Get snow tires if theres going to be anything more than an inch, and turn off traction control if you start to slip. Other than that, the biggest problem you'll face is other drivers.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    I live in RI, so I can definitely tell you about snow. Not only snow, but totally shit roads too. Get snow tires if theres going to be anything more than an inch, and turn off traction control if you start to slip. Other than that, the biggest problem you'll face is other drivers.
    yeah other drivers are the problem in ANY car

Blue
    04 GTO

I live in North West WI. Snow and ice is always a problem up here. Get your self some good snow tires (ALL FOUR) and put some bags of cat litter in the back. really any weight will do but if you do get stuck you have some git readily avalible. you will be really suprized what they can go though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I drive mine year round and although we don't get a ton of snow I drive it in snow every year with no problems.

Thread Information