Blue
    2004 GTO

Anti Theft Problem?

So today my car decided not to start. Well, it would start but instantly stall. After some troubleshooting I figured out what is going on but I don't know how to fix it or why it is happening. Basically once I turn the car off (for any amount of time) it won't start unless I use the key to lock the doors then unlock them, then it turns over just fine and stays running. I think for some reason the car believes it is being stolen and it is the anti theft system not allowing the car to stay running. Am I close to being right on this or not?

IBM
    04 GTO

Is it throwing any codes? I maybe wrong but if it was the Antitheft it would light up the check light???

Blue
    2004 GTO

Nope not a single code. When it does not start the light that shows the car with the padlock by it continues to flash the whole time.
    Last edited by Whatarush; 07-16-2010 at 06:55 PM.

IBM
    04 GTO

Do you have a spare key? Try starting it up with the spare your fob may be f'ed up.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Wouldn't trigger a CEL. Car would just shut down. Sometimes the alarm will sound and once you start it, a msg will appear reading "VEHICLE STARTED WITH KEY". Sounds like your fob is on its way out.

Blue
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    Do you have a spare key? Try starting it up with the spare your fob may be f'ed up.
    I am using the spare key the old one went a while back. I was thinking that it might be the fob but the key does start the car I just have to lock it then unlock it. If it was the fob wouldnt it not start it at all or intermittently without having to do the lock/unlock step?

Blue
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Wouldn't trigger a CEL. Car would just shut down. Sometimes the alarm will sound and once you start it, a msg will appear reading "VEHICLE STARTED WITH KEY". Sounds like your fob is on its way out.
    Forgive my ignorance but what is a CEL? My alarm never sounds during this process.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

CEL= Check Engine Light

My brother has had this exact issue with his 06. Not sure if he's ever gotten it fixed or not but I'll ask him when I see him. If I recall he even got a new key/fob from the dealer and it still done it. I'll have to ask him though. I'll update the thread in the next few days as I usually talk to him every 2-3 days.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That sounds like a BCM issue right there Orion.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    CEL= Check Engine Light

My brother has had this exact issue with his 06. Not sure if he's ever gotten it fixed or not but I'll ask him when I see him. If I recall he even got a new key/fob from the dealer and it still done it. I'll have to ask him though. I'll update the thread in the next few days as I usually talk to him every 2-3 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatarush View Post
    I am using the spare key the old one went a while back. I was thinking that it might be the fob but the key does start the car I just have to lock it then unlock it. If it was the fob wouldnt it not start it at all or intermittently without having to do the lock/unlock step?
    The key and the FOB are different all-together. The FOB is an electrical part, used as a communication medium between the end user, and the vehicle. The actual key (the metal piece) is just a mechanical middle-ware used to turn the tumblers. My point is, the FOB could be toast and the key would still unlock/lock the vehicle with no problem and vise versa.

Orion mentioned his brother's Goat had a problem like this and may still be having it, despite the FOB replacement; that makes me lean ever further toward BCM/PCM problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    That sounds like a BCM issue right there Orion.
    I'm going to agree here -
    I reccomend power-cycling the PCM first;
    Unhook the battery,unbutton your coolant box and set it aside, slide the heat shield up and out, pop the plastic housing off (snaps), remove the lid then take out the 8mm or so bolts holding the connector blocks on. Let the unit sit for 60-90 seconds then button it back up.
    That would reset any short term bugs.

Thanks.

Thread Information