Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

6th gear issues...Sarge...help!

My car is a terd. I drive my 2006 GTO and in 6th gear the car has a hard time to accelerate. It takes about 10 seconds to go from 60 to 70. The RPMs won't pass above 2000. My traction control will go off by itself and i can't turn it back till i shut off car and start it back up. I took it to the dealership and they say they hooked it up and can't find any codes. what should I do? The car is bone stock. The car has less than 10K. They tell me they need another GTO to compare it to. I live in Glen Burnie, MD. Can someone help?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I wonder if this is that "safety mode" I've been reading about?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I wonder if this is that "safety mode" I've been reading about?
    The safety mode thing happened to me. I took it in and they removed the codes and it has not happened again. try a new battery that was the problem with mine.

Nero
    2006 gto

Sounds to me like a lack of torque. Ive never experienced any kind of safety mode, at least I dont think so. Between 60 and 70 im usually in 5th unless im just cruising though.

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Sounds to me like a lack of torque. Ive never experienced any kind of safety mode, at least I dont think so. Between 60 and 70 im usually in 5th unless im just cruising though.
    i am too 6th just cruising. but just try it and let me know what your goat does. go on highway or freeway. get it to about 60ish in 6th and mash on the gas peddle. tell me what your(anyone) goat will do. my goat will slowly creep and up to 80ish it will not past 2K RPM.....

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TysGTO View Post
    My car is a terd. I drive my 2006 GTO and in 6th gear the car has a hard time to accelerate. It takes about 10 seconds to go from 60 to 70. The RPMs won't pass above 2000. My traction control will go off by itself and i can't turn it back till i shut off car and start it back up. I took it to the dealership and they say they hooked it up and can't find any codes. what should I do? The car is bone stock. The car has less than 10K. They tell me they need another GTO to compare it to. I live in Glen Burnie, MD. Can someone help?
    do you have that shift skip eliminator?maybe you need one of those,I have an A4,so i just throwing that idea out there.the ls2 computer is a real pain at times.Trust me if it went into saftey mod car would not even be drivable it would buck and sputter,car would not move,it would flash saftey mode in the dash you would be in the side of the road calling a wrecker,its sucks big time,try shutting car off unhooking battery for a few seconds,then reinstall try it again,ever try doing the 6th gear pull with traction off..this should have nothing to do with it but its possible,my suggestion to you is get a hand held tuner or find someone who has HP tuners or some other sort of tuning software,you would benefit from a good tune cars ar pig rich from GM.
    Last edited by qwkgto; 03-24-2009 at 03:02 AM.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Must be a joke thread here.........6th is double overdrive, in my TA 70 MPH is only 1500 RPM in 6th. Of course you won't see over 2000 RPM at 80 MPH. So if you are in 6th at 60 MPH, it will have a hard time accelerating. If you floor it, it's not like an automatic car that downshifts to a lower gear to give it what you want.

TC won't activate unless a tire is spinning or there is a malfunction, I gaurantee you are not invoking that at 60 MPH in 6th even if you do floor it. Unless you are getting airborne! When exactly does your TC activate?

Skip shift eliminator will have nothing to do with this "problem".

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Must be a joke thread here.........6th is double overdrive, in my TA 70 MPH is only 1500 RPM in 6th. Of course you won't see over 2000 RPM at 80 MPH. So if you are in 6th at 60 MPH, it will have a hard time accelerating. If you floor it, it's not like an automatic car that downshifts to a lower gear to give it what you want.

TC won't activate unless a tire is spinning or there is a malfunction, I gaurantee you are not invoking that at 60 MPH in 6th even if you do floor it. Unless you are getting airborne! When exactly does your TC activate?

I agree with this guy..I mean your at a high gear trying to accelerate,and of course it will accelerate very slow..(dont know much about m6, but thats what happens to me in GRAND TURISMO the game ....) If your an m6 dont you have to downshift or anything???

98 Formula
    06 duramax

safety mode or "limp home" mode is something that you won't "think" that's what's going on. It'll be so obvious you can't miss it. Been in my brothers 06 when we were doing his dms intake. We tried it without shaving the maf down and the butterfly on the throttle body hit his maf......it seriously pissed that car off. Limp home mode isn't just a catchy phrase....it's exactly what you do.
    Try downgearing to 4th and see what your acceleration does. You're just in to high of a gear.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hell...when I row back into fifth my car kicks me in the ass.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

Are you saying that your car will not accelerate past 80 mph in 6th? My car will cruise at 80 in 6th with about 2000 rpms, so if you are just saying that your car is only pulling 2000 at 80 mph that is about right. If you are saying it will not accelerate past 80 you have a problem.

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post

the traction control is on all the time. for some odd reason the traction control will shut off by itself and its usually when i'm cruising 60-80 in 6th. I got it up a little over 100 and still stuck under or at 2000RPM. I know it's not a automatic, and no i'm not airborne. I know I'm not going to break the sound barrier in 6th doing 60...it's just not going anywhere......i know it's slow to reach a higher speed in 6th doing 60 but for some odd reason it's really really slow. and no safe mode message on cluster.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

the traction control is on all the time. for some odd reason the traction control will shut off by itself and its usually when i'm cruising 60-80 in 6th. I got it up a little over 100 and still stuck under or at 2000RPM. I know it's not a automatic, and no i'm not airborne. I know I'm not going to break the sound barrier in 6th doing 60...it's just not going anywhere......i know it's slow to reach a higher speed in 6th doing 60 but for some odd reason it's really really slow. and no safe mode message on cluster.
    Have you checked to see if your OVERSPEED setting is on? I just remembered that.

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Have you checked to see if your OVERSPEED setting is on? I just remembered that.
    yeah that's fine. It's set at 125. I just don't know what's wrong.....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

From what I have heard from my friends with GTOs, when the traction control shuts itself off, it usually means a dirty/bad MAF.

Maybe "heat soak"?

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

From what I have heard from my friends with GTOs, when the traction control shuts itself off, it usually means a dirty/bad MAF.

Maybe "heat soak"?
    Bone stock...new filter 3k miles ago...oil change is due in a few hundred miles...

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Is your GOAT kicking out an ABS fault code when the traction control shuts off? My traction control shuts off when my GOAT gives an ABS fault. It may be a speed sensor that is bad?!?!?

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    Is your GOAT kicking out an ABS fault code when the traction control shuts off? My traction control shuts off when my GOAT gives an ABS fault. It may be a speed sensor that is bad?!?!?
    took it to dealer....no codes

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I'm still confused. Are you telling us your TC is active at 60 MPH when you accelerate, and only when using 6th gear?

And the TC should be on, that is the normal default. If it is actually active and working when you are doing normal driving, then yes that is a problem. I sure would like to test drive some of these cars that people are having a problem with, it is hard to diagnose things from descriptions sometimes.

Thread Information