black
    2004 gto

2004 gto rear end M6

hey guys. just a quick question before i do more investigating myself. I went to go for a drive today to find ice under my tires when i tried to get it out. as i was rocking the car out of the spot i noticed that only one wheel was spinning. im not sure if this is from the ice or is my rear end going bad? is there some sure fire ways to test it out?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

That sounds normal. If neither wheel has traction, it usually just goes to the right side (I think).

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

With a true POSI rear, both tires should spin together. There use to be a chevy pickup truck commercial that showed a Ford, Dodge, and Chevy truck on a hill. There was a set of rollers on this hill on 1 side of the truck. The commercial shows how the true posi rear would allow the truck to go up the hill, and the non posi rear would not have traction and just spin the 1 tire on the rollers.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I'm not sure if it does the same thing in reverse but going forward both wheels should spin, that is the reason to have a posi rear, to get you out of trouble. If you have over 100k miles on your rear and you are a spirited driver I think you may be due for a new posi unit. The stock unit can't be rebuilt. Take your car to a safe location and do a burnout. look at the stripe(s) and the darkness. You should have two equal black stripes.
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 03-09-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

These cars have posi? I thought it had a regular limited slip...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wait... he's talking about a goat... so those have posi?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    These cars have posi? I thought it had a regular limited slip...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wait... he's talking about a goat... so those have posi?
    Posi traction, limited slip, tru traction, sure grip, twin grip, trak loc, anti spin and so on are all different names for a "posi rear"

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Oh.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I Am not 100% sure, but I think even in reverse both tires should rotate. I cant wait until the weather breaks (hopefully soon) so I can run a ... um...experiment, to test the posi situation. I love a nice burning rubber smell! LOL. I do have an aftermarket MOSER rear, but it will still give me the answer i am looking for, or the very least the burning rubber tire smell I desire.

Primer
    1964 ChevyII Nova

If it's got some miles on it, doesn't it have to roll far enough forwards to load across both wheels?

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I just gave my stock 2001 Silverado a lil test drive to test the posi out. Sitting still and flooring it will cause both wheels to spin. Doesn't matter if your in drive or reverse. It doesn't really take much. I guess when the rear sees slippage in one wheel, the other wheel locks in and the axle becomes locked. I think jjc239 is going to be replacing the rear soon. When my original 10 bolt on the 98TA started having issues, I replaced the fluid with some Royal Purple synthetic fluid which helped a bunch. In the end though a few years later, it was changed out, although it was still working.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you ever had the gear oil changed since you've had the car? Our cars have a mix of gear oil and friction modifier as the rears in the GTO are clutch-style and do not have spider/planetaries like regular diffs. 85w-140 and some friction modifier and the "one wheel peel" should be gone. Keep us posted.

Thread Information