Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

2004 GTO - Muffler Delete

I have a 2004 GTO which is mostly stock and it has 50k on the clock. I am getting ready to do some mods and I was going to start with the exhaust. I was thinking about going with the stock system for now but going muffler delete and running just the cats and resonators. Has anyone done this before and how does it sound. Will I throw any codes. I plan on using 2 1/4" pipe bent at my local muffler shop. Any advice would be welcome.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you have a muffler on either side(SAP), you can just get the, I think, Kooks axleback pipes. They bolt where the
    mufflers go and they are 2 1/2 inches in diameter so you don't lose exhaust flow. I have heard 05/6 GTOs with the
    muff delete and they sound really nice. You won't get any codes. Check our sponsors as I believe they have the
    pipes you need. By the way, they come with tips already welded on.
    Last edited by cammed goat; 06-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you have the two pipes out the driver side, just weld in some pipes where the mufflers were.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

I did the muff delete a few years back, it will be loud and pop a lot when you let off, with the rest of the exhaust on cabin noise won't change much if at all. I like loud and ran it that way for 2 years.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

If you remove the panel behind the right rear wheel you will find a threaded hole to allow to hang a dual exhaust exiting both the left and right sides. I had to get rid of BMW look. PFYC sells a template with sleeves. You scribe with a marker on the lower right rear portion of valance. Cut outside/inside the line depending on how you look at it, meaning you can always trim, but you can't put material back. You dremel both sides, epoxy in the sleeves and paint... Buy the sharpest wheel dermel sells and run at the highest rpm and let the wheel cut without generating heat. In other words don't force the through the plastic. This avoids the clumpy crap that builds up when cutting plastic. Key is taking your time.
    Last edited by The Silver Goat; 06-30-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    160 tstat
    K & N CIA
    Diablo custom tune
    Borla dual exhaust
    CAGS Eliminated
    Catch Can / Breather Filter
    TB Bypass

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by The Silver Goat View Post
    If you remove the panel behind the right rear wheel you will find a threaded hole to allow to hand a dual exhaust exiting both the left and right sides. I had to get rid of BMW look. PFYC sells a template with sleeves. You scribe with a marker on the lower right rear portion of valance. Cut outside/inside the line depending on how you look at it, meaning you can always trim, but you can't put material back. You dremel both sides, epoxy in the sleeves and paint... Buy the sharpest wheel dermel sells and run at the highest rpm and let the wheel cut without generating heat. In other words don't force the through the plastic. This avoids the clumpy crap that builds up when cutting plastic. Key is taking your time.
    Sounds like a plan. I have the headers on order now and will look into the cat back system.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Are you after sound or performance? Just leave the cat back if you are doing doing headers. The stock cat back flows surprisingly well and has a great tone. I only lost a handful of rwhp going from a Corsa Touring back to the stock cat back and that was when I was making around 430rwhp.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Thread Information