Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 gto

2004 GTO

Post 2004 gto

Are they worth buying? I am looking at a blue/blue 04 with 150 miles (not K) for $21K. It is an automatic with zero aftermarket parts and the guy who originally owned it, now it is at a dealer so who knows if the story :BS: or not, only had it in storage. It looks very, very clean, but is it going to take going from a garage queen to a car I am going to drive like it was designed to be driven? I haven't sat down and worked out a price, so I am just doing some homework in order to make a smart decision.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That sounds about right. Brand new they were between $32-36k. I know when I looked at a few with 15-20k on the clock, the dealerships wanted $21-$22k. I bought mine modded with 48k on it for a little over $18k(remember MODDED). Talk prices with the seller and see what happens.

2004 GTO

I am going to sit down with him and get everything squared away. I do like the blue/blue set up and the first GTO I drove was a 04 and I was in after that day. My brother has an 06 that is about as stock as Arnold when he was Mr. O and I just want something to drive around when I want to go faster than what my Hoe (as in Tahoe) can do. How do you like your 04?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I love my 04. LS1 with a cam that was installed by the previous owner so it can hang with an LS2.

2004 GTO

This is the first time I am actually taking my time to buy a car and it is driving me nucking futs, but at least I should make the right call when it is time to cut a check.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Been there.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

for that money you can pick up an 06 with a few more miles. I would take the 06 with miles over a low mile 04....that's just me. I owned an 04 and my brother owns an 06. That LS2 has a lot of plus' to it and if you get an 06 you get a few other little things that were nicer. 18" rims were a nice option and much easier to clean than the 17's. Tail lights look better and a couple other small things.

2004 GTO

Thanks for the advice. I am still gathering intel (excuse the gi talk) and thinking about the GTO and other options. Thanks again.

Ray Charles blue

As the guys on LS1GTO told you dont buy it. The car is either 7 or 8 years old (depending on build date), the tires are probably cracked and need replaced and the fluids havent been changed.

If you are not going to just store the car dont buy it. Since I saw you say you want to drive it this time capsule is not the car for you. Get one with some miles on it so that if there are any bugs they have already been ironed out. Also, 50 more hp and 35 tq is a good upgrade my friend.

Since you are considering automatics there is a sh!t ton of cars out there. I think you said you are pretty much set on the GTO but if you cant find the exact car you want dont be afraid to buy an F-body either. I had my 04 GTO M6 and loved it. Now my DD is a 2000 Z28. It gets good mileage, runs as fast in the 1/4 mile, and was cheap as hell.

For instance, check this one out. If it was closer I would make my dad buy it just to put it up for me. lol

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146527

2004 GTO

I asked this question on 3 sites on the same day to hear from those who own them to see if it is worth my effort. I gave up on the Blue/Blue GTO and made up my mind on when I am going to get another car. Automatic or stick, it doesn't make a difference to me since I have been driving both for quite some time. I couldn't ever buy a car to store because it makes no f***ing sense to me. I remember seeing a 1978 Vette Pace Car with 8 miles on it in a Dodge dealer in Warner Robins GA and I when I asked the sales guy about it he said it was the owner's and just for looks and not for sale. I looked up and said that I hoped the roof caved in and crushed the car because he is wasting it, so he might as well throw it in the garbage. I then told him I can't buy a car from a place with an idiot for an owner and walked out the door. It is not a baseball card, it is a f***ing car, so use it.

Impulse Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

did you see the car in person? the blue on blue interier grows on you when you see it. pics do it no justice. dude thats a brand new car for around 20k. a couple mods and you will be at 400 hp. also the blue on blue is like 1 of 1500 made that year. i guess i'm just partial to it because it's the one i have. 150 miles, no one beat on it! if that is the price you can afford it's a great buy. you might even get it cheaper. good luck these cars are awsome.

Ray Charles blue

No one beat on it...........that is true.

However all the fluids are 7-8 years old, the tires are going to need replaced, the rear springs are still weak, the I am betting it gets strut rub in 1k miles from it sitting for so long. Any takers? Also to note that the seals wont be broken in and I am betting if you get in and start driving it every day something will leak.

Oh, and good luck having a bank give you a decent loan on that car. If it was me I would go for an 05-06 for the same price with low miles. That way it has been cared for other than just keeping it in storage.

There is no way I would pay 20k for an 04 GTO. You can find plenty of low mile LS2 GTOs in the 20k range. You're going to drive it not store it so it will depreciate like crazy. Personally I wouldn't even buy an 04 GTO.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    There is no way I would pay 20k for an 04 GTO. You can find plenty of low mile LS2 GTOs in the 20k range. You're going to drive it not store it so it will depreciate like crazy. Personally I wouldn't even buy an 04 GTO.
    I would buy one, hell I had one.

You are right, they are just going to depcriate so why not ge one with a few miles for the same or less money?

The LS2 is a drive by wire which a lot of people dont like and the LS2s have a LOT of oil consumption issues. In 06 you get lighted buttons on your steering wheel, different color tail lights (ricer look), and a door lock button. Oh and I forgot, a late 90s early 2000s Grand Prix rear look-a-like bumper with grape fruit shooters and non functioning hood scoops......lol The 05/06 did get a better tranny than that of the 04 (automatics that is). Oh you could get 18" tires as an option but with a thinner tire.

So why wouldnt you buy an 04?

2004 GTO

The pics are what sell the car without a doubt he got a pic of every angle on the car and it is clean. I wasn't concerned about getting a loan in the least, so I wasn't worried about a bank or anyone lending me money. The dealer isn't a GM or any brand dealer, so it was as is no warranty and with my luck I would be playing with it and going through the phase of a serious . Plus, I only was looking at this car because I didn't buy a bike and was going to throw the money at something to drive and have fun with, so I am just going to wait. The guy has to sell that car and I sure as hell don't have to buy it, which is funny because if he didn't try to be slick he could have sold it to me when I first called for $20K. Fine by me, he will be kicking his own ass as 2011 approaches.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep checking out Craigslist and eBay.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I would buy one, hell I had one.

You are right, they are just going to depcriate so why not ge one with a few miles for the same or less money?

The LS2 is a drive by wire which a lot of people dont like and the LS2s have a LOT of oil consumption issues. In 06 you get lighted buttons on your steering wheel, different color tail lights (ricer look), and a door lock button. Oh and I forgot, a late 90s early 2000s Grand Prix rear look-a-like bumper with grape fruit shooters and non functioning hood scoops......lol The 05/06 did get a better tranny than that of the 04 (automatics that is). Oh you could get 18" tires as an option but with a thinner tire.

So why wouldnt you buy an 04?
    you left out that you also get more cubic inches, more horsepower, and no strut rub with the 05/06 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you left out that you also get more cubic inches, more horsepower, and no strut rub with the 05/06 cars.
    He also left out they are less desirable and depreciate like crazy. I can't believe he's actually trying to say an 04 is a better car.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    He also left out they are less desirable and depreciate like crazy. I can't believe he's actually trying to say an 04 is a better car.
    I am not saying that the 04 is more desireable and a better car. Not in the least but stop trying to say how much more superior the 05/06 is. Yes more HP and TQ but thats about it.

One thing.................shhhh! The 05/06 STILL SUFFER from strut rub and radius rod bushing issues. Oh and the weak springs in the back as well as the same weak rear end.

Ray Charles blue

If you buy an 05/06 because it doesnt depreciate like crazy you are kidding yourself. None of them hold value because they were a flop car. Hence the 3 year run in the USA.

Thread Information