Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 gto

artic white
    1998 Formula

04 gto

I am buying a LS6 Intake off of a 04 GTO and I can get the Throttle Body real cheep also. My question is Is it bigger than my stock one on my 98 Formula and will it work.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98warbird View Post
    I am buying a LS6 Intake off of a 04 GTO and I can get the Throttle Body real cheep also. My question is Is it bigger than my stock one on my 98 Formula and will it work.
    both will swap right in with maybe some grinding on the bottom of the intake to make room for your coolant lines. the only difference between the ls1 and ls6 are the runners for sure, i am not sure about the inlet

hugger orange

I've read and been told we have a 75mm, 78mm , and 80mm tb's what size it really is, I'm not sure.
    also been told the gto tb is slightly bigger and been told its the same size....so I'm waiting to hear what a pro will say lol
    I do know there are three different throttle cam sizes which can be easily seen by the color of the spring

artic white
    1998 Formula

Thanks for the help I will just keep my stocker for now.

artic white
    1998 Formula

Thanks for the help I will just keep my stock TB for now.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by SableGTO View Post
    The 2004 GTO Throttle Body is a 78MM. The 05/06 is a 90MM.
    Hope that helps.
    that's right, I forgot about the 05/06 being a 90mm (Ls2 intake).
    laid one of my friends ls2 intake next to my ls6 intake on the bench and the ls2 is a massive unit. it can be swaped to the ls1, but you need adapter "O" rings for the injectors, ls2 fuel rail, fuel rail adapter, MAP relocation(moves it to the front), and need to fab a bracket to mount a throttle cable (05/06 is drive by wire)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    that's right, I forgot about the 05/06 being a 90mm (Ls2 intake).
    laid one of my friends ls2 intake next to my ls6 intake on the bench and the ls2 is a massive unit. it can be swaped to the ls1, but you need adapter "O" rings for the injectors, ls2 fuel rail, fuel rail adapter, MAP relocation(moves it to the front), and need to fab a bracket to mount a throttle cable (05/06 is drive by wire)
    the ls6 outflows the ls2 on a 5.7 motor. There was an intake shootout several years ago. LS6 did better on the smaller cubed motor.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the ls6 outflows the ls2 on a 5.7 motor. There was an intake shootout several years ago. LS6 did better on the smaller cubed motor.
    I've read about the shoot out, but what about a well built 5,7?
    Bill picked up his ls2 intake for alittle bit of nothing. its a 3 piece design (kind of like the fast) upper and lower sections are vibration welded together with a center section sandwiched between them.
    looking down inside of it, it has lots of jagged/ unmatched joints (vibration welds) in the runners and air leak gaps. if the runners are cleaned up (ground smooth) and gaps epoxyed and smoothed it should really help it flow a lot better.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I've read about the shoot out, but what about a well built 5,7?
    Bill picked up his ls2 intake for alittle bit of nothing. its a 3 piece design (kind of like the fast) upper and lower sections are vibration welded together with a center section sandwiched between them.
    looking down inside of it, it has lots of jagged/ unmatched joints (vibration welds) in the runners and air leak gaps. if the runners are cleaned up (ground smooth) and gaps epoxyed and smoothed it should really help it flow a lot better.

A well built 5.7???? ...that's easy it'll have a Fast intake. Seriously, nobody puts a LS2 intake on the 5.7 and for good reason. It's a downgrade.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    A well built 5.7???? ...that's easy it'll have a Fast intake. Seriously, nobody puts a LS2 intake on the 5.7 and for good reason. It's a downgrade.
    so am I stuck in the bigger looks like it should be better, but isn't catagory? and is this where the difference with runner length and (resonante) tuning come into play to make the smaller ls6 intake work better?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

so am I stuck in the bigger looks like it should be better, but isn't catagory? and is this where the difference with runner length and (resonante) tuning come into play to make the smaller ls6 intake work better?
    I think the key word here when comparing the LS6 to the LS2 is velocity. That's why the ls6 is better for our smaller cubed motor. I would really like to see a back to back comparison done with an LS2 motor between those 2 intakes.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think the key word here when comparing the LS6 to the LS2 is velocity. That's why the ls6 is better for our smaller cubed motor. I would really like to see a back to back comparison done with an LS2 motor between those 2 intakes.
    ok, makes sense. I know there are lots of short falls and inherent problems with the ls2 in stock form......but I'd like to see one worked over against a stock comparo.......just some mixedup fiberglass resin poured in the bottom of the ls2 to give it a flat space should make a big difference in its whe characterists......good or bad I don't know

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

ok, makes sense. I know there are lots of short falls and inherent problems with the ls2 in stock form......but I'd like to see one worked over against a stock comparo.......just some mixedup fiberglass resin poured in the bottom of the ls2 to give it a flat space should make a big difference in its whe characterists......good or bad I don't know
    how does 14 more hp going to the ls6 intake over the ls2...
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    how does 14 more hp going to the ls6 intake over the ls2...Click for full size
    man that is a hell of a difference

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by m_williams View Post
    I don't know how far I would go trusting that book....

I would either run the LS6 intake or save some money for a FAST or the new Weiand Street Warrior.... Have you looked for a used FAST? With the new Warrior being offically released, I am sure there will be some deals on used FAST intakes.
    The Weiand Street Warrior was first shown at SEMA in the fall of 2007 with a planned production date in March of 2008. ....zero have been produced to date. ...and even then Weiands own data said the production Fast already produced better numbers above 6200 rpm. So a ported Fast im guessing beats it across the board and thats why its not being produced or that there are other issues with it.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

man that is a hell of a difference
    this was done on a ls2 motor.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    The Weiand Street Warrior was first shown at SEMA in the fall of 2007 with a planned production date in March of 2008. ....zero have been produced to date. ...and even then Weiands own data said the production Fast already produced better numbers above 6200 rpm. So a ported Fast im guessing beats it across the board and thats why its not being produced or that there are other issues with it.
    If I were going to run a plastic intake,id go with the ls6 and put the 90mm throttle end on it someone was producing them or get one off a ls6 vette with a 90mmTB and just for the record 14hp you will never feel or miss..ive had the fast intake and for the price,its not worth the hassel.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by m_williams View Post
    I don't know how far I would go trusting that book....

I would either run the LS6 intake or save some money for a FAST or the new Weiand Street Warrior.... Have you looked for a used FAST? With the new Warrior being offically released, I am sure there will be some deals on used FAST intakes.
    well it is dyno proven facts..buddie its a well known publisher with over 135 PROVEN dyno test for the GM ls1 through the ls7 id say they know alot more then most of us,as they have the dyno facts to back up and have published the real facts,do you have some better light to shed there Mr williams? if so im all ears,I realise you are the SE ohio premier consultant on the ls motors even though you run in the mid 12 index.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

here is my intake of choice and its GM far cheeper then the fast.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I think that is what b20 is using that on his car. Saw it on last summer at the Summit Racing store show. If I remember right he had to do some grinding on it to get it to fit.

Thread Information