Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Z28 vs Evo 8 vs single turbo supra

Raced some guy in a red Evo 8 last night on the highway. He had all the basic bolt ons, plus a boost controller. We went from 50 and i initially pulled away, then i heard his turbo spool up and he stayed at my bumber until about 90 then i started to pull away pretty good. put about 3 cars on him by 130. We pulled over later but he didnt want to talk though, and just sat in his car with the windows up, which i thought was kinda odd. He did have a girl in the car, which may have had something to do with it. My car has the K&N intake kit and a Flowmaster catback.
    The second was a guy in a NA supra with a single turbo kit. I didnt really race him myself, a friend in his mustang GT tried to though, and lost badly of course. I stayed behind the guy in the supra when he took off, I wasnt able to close the gap but he wasnt able to pull away either. Definately would have been close though. Everytime he changed gears his car would shoot flames out the tailpipe, not normal but definately looked cool. He said he was running about 15 psi of boost.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by drummer52910 View Post
    The second was a guy in a NA supra with a single turbo kit.
    ??? WTF is a NA supra with a turbo kit? Do you even know what NA is? Do you know what a turbo kit is?

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    ??? WTF is a NA supra with a turbo kit? Do you even know what NA is? Do you know what a turbo kit is?
    I dont really think he knows what NA is...

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

An NA supra with a turbo kit is a supra that started out with no turbo, but now has a turbo. There a big difference between installing a turbo onto a NA supra compared to doing the same to a TT.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

An NA supra with a turbo kit is a supra that started out with no turbo, but now has a turbo. There a big difference between installing a turbo onto a NA supra compared to doing the same to a TT.
    But after you put a turbo on it, its not NA. Instead of saying a NA supra with a single turbo on it, he should have said a single turbo supra.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

But after you put a turbo on it, its not NA. Instead of saying a NA supra with a single turbo on it, he should have said a single turbo supra.
    Well your definately right but my point was that the supra was originally an NA. Its important that i say that because the basic NA supras used much weaker transmissions and rear ends than the TT supra did. Even the 2JZ in the NA cars was slightly different, though i dont remember how exactly. My point is that if the car was originally a TT supra, he would definately be running more boost, and it wouldnt even have been close.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Well your definately right but my point was that the supra was originally an NA. Its important that i say that because the basic NA supras used much weaker transmissions and rear ends than the TT supra did. Even the 2JZ in the NA cars was slightly different, though i dont remember how exactly. My point is that if the car was originally a TT supra, he would definately be running more boost, and it wouldnt even have been close.
    that is very true... HE HAS A POINT... because if you ask any Supra Owner, (and I go through their Forums)... they never call a car that was previously N/A... just a TURBO CAR...they always enphasize the fact that it used to be the N/A... because it has difrent compression ratios, diffrent gearing...and it all around a weaker engine... with those 15lbs I'd guess nearly 400whp? ... I mean if a TT car on low Comp. goes to 380whp on 18lbs (without supporting bolt-ons) ...

WHAT ARE YOUR MODS!?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yes but if you start with a Twin turbo supra and put a single turbo kit on it there would only be one difference in performance, that is that the N/A supra came with slightly larger cams. Mine is a turbo motor but i had the N/A cams in it for a while, added around 20rwhp on mine. Most people put the N/A cams in, those cams if you forge the internals and put a huge turbo on there really dont need to be changed out until you wanna make more than 800rwhp.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    that is very true... HE HAS A POINT... because if you ask any Supra Owner, (and I go through their Forums)... they never call a car that was previously N/A... just a TURBO CAR...they always enphasize the fact that it used to be the N/A... because it has difrent compression ratios, diffrent gearing...and it all around a weaker engine... with those 15lbs I'd guess nearly 400whp? ... I mean if a TT car on low Comp. goes to 380whp on 18lbs (without supporting bolt-ons) ...

WHAT ARE YOUR MODS!?

You do realize that boost pressure isn't relative to power being made right? Like a gt28rs at 18psi wont make remotely close to a gt42r at 18psi....

A lot of people get too caught up in "psi", when in reality it's airflow that matters.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Oh and btw, on the supra forums I think they call this particular type of supra a "N/A-T"

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    You do realize that boost pressure isn't relative to power being made right? Like a gt28rs at 18psi wont make remotely close to a gt42r at 18psi....

A lot of people get too caught up in "psi", when in reality it's airflow that matters.
    whatever...I just speak from what I've heard from the Supra Freaks... I don't pay much attention otherwise...

I will... if I ever want to boost up my car...

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

The guy said he was making around 380 at the wheels, which is definately more than i have. I only have an air intake and a flowmaster exhaust, and my car is a Manual. He said his best quarter mile time with hard launching was 12.7, So had i actually lined up next to him he probally would have won by a small margin.

White
    '02 Formula A4

Nice runs man.

A N/A supra with a turbo put on it is called a NA-T. They do it all the time, its getting more popular by the day. The Non Turbo supra's 5 spd can hold about 400whp and the rear end can hold a little more.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

The guy said he was making around 380 at the wheels, which is definately more than i have. I only have an air intake and a flowmaster exhaust, and my car is a Manual. He said his best quarter mile time with hard launching was 12.7, So had i actually lined up next to him he probally would have won by a small margin.
    380 to the wheels and only pushing a 12.7?
    Needs the driver mod

White
    '02 Formula A4

A friend of mine with a NA-T supra is pushing 17psi and dyno'd at 34?whp. I doubt hes making 380 something.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLS1 View Post
    A friend of mine with a NA-T supra is pushing 17psi and dyno'd at 34?whp. I doubt hes making 380 something.
    Could depend on the suporting mods... you know how boost loves suporting mods...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

The NA motors are extremely capable of those numbers with supporting mods but of course the most crucial point is the TUNE.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

What you also have to remember about supras is they arent light, they are smaller than our cars and weigh almost 3800lbs, and the psi thing is true, you really need to know the trim of the turbo

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

This may be semantics, but I feel the need to clarify anyway. "Air flow" is proportional to boost in a given engine. 18 psi from one turbo will flow the same volume of air as 18psi from any other turbo on the same engine. The only reason one will not make as much power as the other is because they fall into different efficiency ranges. A turbo maxed out at 18 psi on said engine will be off of its efficiency island for the compressor and/or turbine wheels. So, it'll take more power away from the engine to spin, and it'll also be producing hotter air. Hotter air, as we know, is less dense, has less oxygen and thus is not capable of producing as much power.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Ok so you are telling me, if you run 18psi on a supra with a 67trim you are flowing the same amount of air if you ran 18psi on a 76trim. I dont think so, the whole point of being efficient is getting more air flow. A bigger whole will flow more air, not to mention you saying a bigger turbo takes more power away from the motor, either im misunderstanding you or you are just silly. Thats why when they say bigger trim that pretty much goes hand in hand with a more efficient turbo

Thread Information