Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we race

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

Why we race

hello everyone i wanted to start this thread just to see in anyone else has come to love speed the same way i did.

When i was younger i didnt care anything for cars,trucks, engines, or racing for that matter. At 14 when i got my permit that all changed though. I remember my dad had just finished building a 1977 f100 into about as bad ass of a truck as u can. It had a 351 windsor small block that had been stroked to a 393, punched .040 over after that, the block had 4 bolt mains, true flattop pistons, oversized valves, gt-40 aluminum heads, it had custom built intake for accepting a supercharger. He had used the tranny out of an old gt-40 that one of his buddies had bought back around the time that ford started making them for the LeMans. The body had been super lightned due to the fact that large ammounts of the body were cut out and replaced by lighter steel. The frame had been beefed up and it was virtually inpossible to keep tires on it. Well it was in that truck that i cam to love speed. One night on our way home from a truck show we was probably going 80-100 trying to get home before morning. Out of nowhere a police officer pulled out and turned his lights on and i started to panic, well my dad, the rebel that he is, who later became a officer himself, decided he wanted to run from the cop. Well i aint exactly sure how fast we was going but i remember the speedometer stopped at 85 and when i looked over it was wrapped back around to about 40/45. I remember when we got home he parked in back behind the house in the woods and we ran like hell through about 3 acres of woods to get back to our house and inside. The feeling of the adrineline was the feeling id never forget as everytime i got back into a vehicle after that i just had to push the gas pedel as hard as i could and go fast just to get that RUSH of that super drug, the one thing that i am truly addicted to, adreniline and speed.

2002 TA

Well... I must say it was my friend that got me into it. (although sadly we don't talk much because of distance.)

I was 14 though to. Didn't have any idea of what car I would buy, or anything, didn't know jack about cars, didn't really care....

Then I met my friend Sean in the gym, real cool down to earth guy he was older then me, we started hanign out, he had a 1987 Mustang Gt Convertible, 41k ORIGINAL miles, I mean this car was MINT, had like 3 little bolt-ons, looked PERFECT. We ALWAYS cruised around in it, he took AMAZING care of it, one time after cruising around for like 3 hours we pulled off in the country adn went for a walk, he just wanted to let the car cool down lol, like this car was his love you don't even know. Of course things came to pass, he got tired of being beaten on the street, so he sold it and bought a 92 Corvette, automatic, targa top. Was faster, but not all that fast, and 2 seater+auto=a teen's worst enemies in a sports car lol. So he ended up totaling that and bought a 98 Mustang Cobra Convertible 30k miles (Yellow, one of 582 made that year) And THAT car was Nice, and quick to. Totally stock except for flowmasters, went 13.6 with a 2.0 60" Now he is selling that and buying an 07 Grabber Orange Mustang Gt 5 speed coupe (he works at Ford gets D-plan pricing)

Once I got into cars and speed that was it for me, first car pos 3.4li firebird, sold it in a few months, bought an 88 Mustang Gt Convertible, fun car, got used to it, bought a 95 Mustang Gt coupe, fun car, got used to the speed but wanted something more, now I might be buying a 98 mustang Cobra convertible I found, if not I'll be looking at LS1's.

Same for me though, the adrenaline, the rush, the speed, the race, all of it.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Pythias View Post
    Well... I must say it was my friend that got me into it. (although sadly we don't talk much because of distance.)

I was 14 though to. Didn't have any idea of what car I would buy, or anything, didn't know jack about cars, didn't really care....

Then I met my friend Sean in the gym, real cool down to earth guy he was older then me, we started hanign out, he had a 1987 Mustang Gt Convertible, 41k ORIGINAL miles, I mean this car was MINT, had like 3 little bolt-ons, looked PERFECT. We ALWAYS cruised around in it, he took AMAZING care of it, one time after cruising around for like 3 hours we pulled off in the country adn went for a walk, he just wanted to let the car cool down lol, like this car was his love you don't even know. Of course things came to pass, he got tired of being beaten on the street, so he sold it and bought a 92 Corvette, automatic, targa top. Was faster, but not all that fast, and 2 seater+auto=a teen's worst enemies in a sports car lol. So he ended up totaling that and bought a 98 Mustang Cobra Convertible 30k miles (Yellow, one of 582 made that year) And THAT car was Nice, and quick to. Totally stock except for flowmasters, went 13.6 with a 2.0 60" Now he is selling that and buying an 07 Grabber Orange Mustang Gt 5 speed coupe (he works at Ford gets D-plan pricing)

Once I got into cars and speed that was it for me, first car pos 3.4li firebird, sold it in a few months, bought an 88 Mustang Gt Convertible, fun car, got used to it, bought a 95 Mustang Gt coupe, fun car, got used to the speed but wanted something more, now I might be buying a 98 mustang Cobra convertible I found, if not I'll be looking at LS1's.

Same for me though, the adrenaline, the rush, the speed, the race, all of it.
    I wished i were not addicted to speed probally worse than other addictions I suppose

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    I wished i were not addicted to speed probally worse than other addictions I suppose
    sometimes i would agree to that due to the face of the many speeding tickets but in the end it all come down to doing this to the guy that pulls up next to u in his japaneese made rice burner and says wanna race

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

awesome story

2002 TA

I have yet to get a speeding ticket yet.... I mostly set the cruise control around 55 and listen to some music.

*Knock on wood*

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

It's def. an escape for me. When I'm at work or at home, I just always think about taking my LS1 out and define FAST to everyone out there. I'm very competitive w/ my friends who have Stangs and whatnot, so I'm always tryin to mod it to stay a step ahead, it's a bug and once it bites you, you're def screwed.

Very good question.. I dont know why I love racing so much. I do know at age 14 I was sitting shotgun street racing with my 21 year old brother though, that could have something to do with it.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Very good question.. I dont know why I love racing so much. I do know at age 14 I was sitting shotgun street racing with my 21 year old brother though, that could have something to do with it.
    hearing stories from my mom saying, " your daddy blowed up every car we owned", had an influence on me and watching a movie called," smokey and the bandit" at age 12 didnt help either

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

My dad used to drag race a Chevelle and a GTO back in the day, he gave my older brother the Chevelle. It had a 427 Big Block Corvette motor in it, candyapple red with some really smooth gold rims. Not those BS little gold spoke rims you would see in the hood, but some muscular gold/chrome colored jobs. That was a smooth ass Chevelle. Then my bro got an S10 and tubbed it out and is running like mid 5's in the 1/8th now.

That is how I got into speed, riding with my bro up and down the street I grew up on, flying in a gotdam nasty Chevelle.

I had a couple of rides I tried to hotrod, but money was tight for a kid, and you just can't get an 88 stepside GMC Sierra to run like a sportcar without blowing every penny you got in the bank.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

I was raised in a lower middle class suburbia and all that lurked were crappy V6 Stangs, '92 Celicas, and Hondas up the wazzu. I didn' t see what the craze was all about and thought my older brothers were nuts being intersted in random automotive knowledge. There was this place were guys would meet to set up races, but I never went to them until a year later I after my brothers introduced me to this hot spot. Some tight rides were there; RX-7s, Supras, 3000Gt, 300ZX, Eclipses, and the Type R. But all the while there was something missing. I couldn't help but notice that the American muscle was on the other side of the parking lot and the imports usually kept their distance. When I first heard that V8 rumble, it really roared! The LT1 Trans Am shook with fury and I knew from that point on that American Muscle was the way to go.
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

fast cars, women is somthing all men like and desire. all of us sooner or later, at different ages
    will attain one or both of them. heheheh, no pun intended for the "boy lovers" out there, or the mental geeks that will never have/wish a sports car.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

[QUOTE=djvaly;482208]fast cars, women is somthing all men like and desire.

and i dont know bout any of u guys but a woman in leather is just a plus

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I like adrenaline because the drug dogs can't sniff it, you can't see it, and to get high all you've got to do is stomp the loud button of an LS1 to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy351w View Post
    hello everyone i wanted to start this thread just to see in anyone else has come to love speed the same way i did.

When i was younger i didnt care anything for cars,trucks, engines, or racing for that matter. At 14 when i got my permit that all changed though. I remember my dad had just finished building a 1977 f100 into about as bad ass of a truck as u can. It had a 351 windsor small block that had been stroked to a 393, punched .040 over after that, the block had 4 bolt mains, true flattop pistons, oversized valves, gt-40 aluminum heads, it had custom built intake for accepting a supercharger. He had used the tranny out of an old gt-40 that one of his buddies had bought back around the time that ford started making them for the LeMans. The body had been super lightned due to the fact that large ammounts of the body were cut out and replaced by lighter steel. The frame had been beefed up and it was virtually inpossible to keep tires on it. Well it was in that truck that i cam to love speed. One night on our way home from a truck show we was probably going 80-100 trying to get home before morning. Out of nowhere a police officer pulled out and turned his lights on and i started to panic, well my dad, the rebel that he is, who later became a officer himself, decided he wanted to run from the cop. Well i aint exactly sure how fast we was going but i remember the speedometer stopped at 85 and when i looked over it was wrapped back around to about 40/45. I remember when we got home he parked in back behind the house in the woods and we ran like hell through about 3 acres of woods to get back to our house and inside. The feeling of the adrineline was the feeling id never forget as everytime i got back into a vehicle after that i just had to push the gas pedel as hard as i could and go fast just to get that RUSH of that super drug, the one thing that i am truly addicted to, adreniline and speed.
    cause we have a cock_.. why do women race? cause they pretend to have a cock

NBM
    '00 Z28

My dad had a '69 Chevelle when I was a kid. He had me helping him tape off the body and stripes, and even had do a little spraying on the paint job at 5 years old. He sold that one and got a '72 Chevelle. I always loved the way that thing sounded through glasspacks. Then he got me a go kart.

Racing and performance has always been in my DNA. If the hottest chick alive were offering to give me head at the same time someone fired up a sick ass V8, regretably I'd probably forget what she was saying as I looked over to see what was just started.

You guys know what I'm talking about. You can't help it when you hear a built motor fire up breathing through open headers. Or when you get the aroma of fuel alcohol as a car goes rumbling by. It's an unexplainable excitement that makes you want to hop in whatever you've got keys to and romp on it. It wouldn't matter if it was a Geo. The fact that speed is dangerous just adds to the exhilaration. Hell, you'll never feel more alive than when you've been shot at and missed. And that's the same feeling you get when you're running right on the ragged edge and come out victorious.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    cause we have a cock_.. why do women race? cause they pretend to have a cock
    ahh i get it now, my g/f doesnt want a cock that why she kicks my ass for racing and all this time i thought she was just a bitchy woman

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    when i was at highschool, i was stealing my dad's fiat marea everyday around 4-5 am ( yes i was waking up to drive that shit) i had no licence and everytime i got the car, i was flooring, drifting and all that shit.. then i started to drive my dad's minibus and i was absolutely racing by myself.. nobody around i was still punching and shifting as hard as i could.. i just love to get whatever the car has!!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

...Damn, after reading this thread I gotta jet into my car everytime!

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    ...Damn, after reading this thread I gotta jet into my car everytime!
    +1

Thread Information