Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

VW Corrado wants to run me... my chances?

So my ex-boss has a '93? (that body style) VW Corrado and it apparently has quite a bit of work done to it. Besides the "one of a kind" body kit , it also has a Lysholm supercharger, and a 68mm pulley. I really don't know too much else about it, I forgot to ask how much boost he's running while I saw him today. Apparently the car is setup pretty well from what I've heard. With the exception of the 100000 spoke alloy wheels and tires that wrap around them with no sidewall. I know a few big honda kids and have a little more than a minimal amount of knowledge when it comes to those, however, VWs I just haven't the slightest clue as to what they're capable of. What questions do I need to ask? This Corrado was sold to my ex-boss by his own brother that built the car, whom also works for the same company as the both of us, and he's more than willing to give up any information that I ask for.

The problem is, my ex-boss wants to run his mouth every time he gets a chance about my "mullet of a camaro" and how he'd mop the floor with me. I'm basically stock with the exception of the full exhaust treatment, and K&N. What are these cars capable of with Lysholm S/Cs, and what would I need to do, in order to take some money from his pocket

NBM
    2002 pontiac Trans Am Ws6

Get a cam, headers, and a stall converter. He would have to wipe your ass than.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

The cam is not in my plans until late fall... tires will probably be ordered in 2-3 weeks, and the converter I won't get until I choose my cam. My question is, to somebody with VW experience and/or knowledge, will I have to wait until then to even stand a chance? Or is this guy just a bunch of hype because his Lysholm sounds like a jet engine?

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

NBM

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKOJ5eVN3Y[/ame]

NBM

Thats a turbo one....but it looks like he didn't catch up till his turbo really spoiled off. So he mite get you from a dig since he got a supercharger but you mite get him in the long run??!?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

That was an LT camaro too.

NBM

Yea true you got a Ls1...get a set of 315's on the back, you should be able to lunch off pretty good from a dig.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I was thinking with him being FWD, that would be enough to hurt him in the 1/8th, so long as I could get DR tire under mine... but I know nothing about these cars

NBM

Well the first mistake your making right now is your doubting your car and you should NEVER underestimate the power of a Ls1....but I'M pretty sure you will wax his ass.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Doubting my car? How so? I'm inquiring for other knowledgeable members input on a subject I have at hand, in which I know very little about. And then seeking advice after making a general assessment of the potential power output of said car...

Never doubted my car

NBM

That's good but yea..you got me, i don't know much about these cars either. Now I'm curious enough to wanting to race one haha, well let me know the outcome when you get a chance to race him.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

from what I've read these superchargers are capable of supporting up to 400hp, obviously that would require a ton of work to be done to that tiny motor in the corrado. My guess is that in order for him to have a chance he would have to be pushing around 10psi, and even then the odds still wouldn't be in his favor(displacement>boost). from experience though I would say he needs be making at least 250whp in order to make it a challenge, which I'm thinking is unlikely with just minor bolt ons and a moderate boost s/c. Just to give u a rl example my buds sr20 240 is pushin around ~9psi with full exhaust and other bolt ons and I wipe the floor with him every time.(Your mods are basically the same as mine). I'd say as long as you get traction you should be fine

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Cool, thanks farmer, I'll keep you guys updated as to the outcome. He's bragged about beating up on vettes and mustangs in the past before. Saying it's nothing to get the thing to 140 EASILY on the street. So we'll see how it goes, I'd like to find a weekend to go to the track and do it, but like I said, I'll keep you guys updated and bring back a video

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    from what I've read these superchargers are capable of supporting up to 400hp, obviously that would require a ton of work to be done to that tiny motor in the corrado. My guess is that in order for him to have a chance he would have to be pushing around 10psi, and even then the odds still wouldn't be in his favor(displacement>boost). from experience though I would say he needs be making at least 250whp in order to make it a challenge, which I'm thinking is unlikely with just minor bolt ons and a moderate boost s/c. Just to give u a rl example my buds sr20 240 is pushin around ~9psi with full exhaust and other bolt ons and I wipe the floor with him every time.(Your mods are basically the same as mine). I'd say as long as you get traction you should be fine
    Weird. Way back in the day when my S13 SR20 powered 240SX was running the stock crappy turbo at 14psi, tuned, with full bolt ons, I could easily hang with stockish LS1 F-bodies. I remember racing an LS1 TransAm that had lid, exhaust, and a stall. We went from a roll, and I was at his door the whole time. I also raced my friends daily driver at the time, a stone stock '98 LS1 A4 Camaro, and the result was similar, but I pulled a tad in the top end. He did out launch me though, so I could only really beat him from a roll on the street. My 240SX ran low 13s in the 1/4 all day, on street tires, with 105-107mph trap speed. I quickly got bored with that garbage T25G and went with something bigger.

To the OP, I sent you a PM.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Yep, got it, thank you sir

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Weird. Way back in the day when my S13 SR20 powered 240SX was running the stock crappy turbo at 14psi, tuned, with full bolt ons, I could easily hang with stockish LS1 F-bodies. I remember racing an LS1 TransAm that had lid, exhaust, and a stall. We went from a roll, and I was at his door the whole time. I also raced my friends daily driver at the time, a stone stock '98 LS1 A4 Camaro, and the result was similar, but I pulled a tad in the top end. He did out launch me though, so I could only really beat him from a roll on the street. My 240SX ran low 13s in the 1/4 all day, on street tires, with 105-107mph trap speed. I quickly got bored with that garbage T25G and went with something bigger.

To the OP, I sent you a PM.
    if my bud was pushin 14psi then yes it would be a diff. story, but he ain't, and he's not tuned. not quite sure y but the dude he bought it from said the stock turbo was doing 9psi which I also found odd for a redtop. I suggested kickin the boost up but since he daily drives the shit out of the thing he doesn't want any sort of reliability issues to pop up, which they have regardless, shoulda bought a chevy

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    if my bud was pushin 14psi then yes it would be a diff. story, but he ain't, and he's not tuned. not quite sure y but the dude he bought it from said the stock turbo was doing 9psi which I also found odd for a redtop. I suggested kickin the boost up but since he daily drives the shit out of the thing he doesn't want any sort of reliability issues to pop up, which they have regardless, shoulda bought a chevy
    S13 Redtops and Blacktops came with a T25G wastegated to 7psi. Also with the stock turbo, SR20s are notoriously reliable, assuming you didn't get some junk engine. They have a very strong bottom end with forged rods, strong main girdle, and closed deck block. Many guys have reliably pushed well in excess of 400whp daily with nothing more than a stronger headgasket and ARP studs.

Reason I ask is because 14psi is not drastically different. It still falls off back to 9-10psi towards redline because the T25G can't move enough air at high RPMs. You get that initial boost of torque when the turbo spools to 14psi, but it feels the same as it bleeds off back to 9-10psi. The dyno conmfired it as well. On a T25G, peak horespower/torque is made in the midrange (230-240whp depending on your turbo/gasket condition) and it falls back down to about 200-210whp up top.

I won't compare an SR to an LS1 though, that's like apples to walnuts. Both are reliable, and a H/C LS1 can make SR20 "big turbo" numbers with power all under the curve. Can't beat the powerband and displacement that a V8 gives you.

School me. Whats a VW corrado???

The only VW's I'm familiar with are kind that power my sandrail with an air cooled 1835cc and bus transaxle

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    S13 Redtops and Blacktops came with a T25G wastegated to 7psi. Also with the stock turbo, SR20s are notoriously reliable, assuming you didn't get some junk engine. They have a very strong bottom end with forged rods, strong main girdle, and closed deck block. Many guys have reliably pushed well in excess of 400whp daily with nothing more than a stronger headgasket and ARP studs.

Reason I ask is because 14psi is not drastically different. It still falls off back to 9-10psi towards redline because the T25G can't move enough air at high RPMs. You get that initial boost of torque when the turbo spools to 14psi, but it feels the same as it bleeds off back to 9-10psi. The dyno conmfired it as well. On a T25G, peak horespower/torque is made in the midrange (230-240whp depending on your turbo/gasket condition) and it falls back down to about 200-210whp up top.

I won't compare an SR to an LS1 though, that's like apples to walnuts. Both are reliable, and a H/C LS1 can make SR20 "big turbo" numbers with power all under the curve. Can't beat the powerband and displacement that a V8 gives you.
    thanks for the info, honestly I don't really know much about these motors but would really like to learn more, I find them really impressive. I mean I kno my buds car can't be makin anymore than 250hp but it still kicks really hard @ wot. The fact that's it's soo light combined with respectable power puts a smile on ur face.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

My buddy has a Corrado with the 4 banger turbo. It's a cool little car, not hating it at all. But as for your race with a V6 S/C I still would put my money on the LS1. You will hurt him badly from a dig (rwd > fwd) and you won't miss any shifts of course. Even if his power to weight ratio is better, and I'm sure it is, the LS1 has such a strong top end and so much power under the curve he will be chasing you the whole time. I think he's got a fight on his hands. If you want insurance, get a stall converter and your launch will be insane as long as you have enough tire for it.

Post results!

Thread Information