PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Turbo cobalt SS Killed

So yesterday I had to run the Gf to the Mall cause she wanted to go shoping !!! So She kindly allowed me to go wash the Z while she had her fun. I get done washing it and I pull back onto route 51 to go meet up with her again.

I pull up to a red light and see a Brand new Temp tag and all turbo Cobalt SS. The kid was pretty cool and yelled hey bad ass car man and I returned the compliment. I told him we should run, and he agreed so on Green we go! I spun the tires a little bit due to all the tire shine that the car wash dude globed on my car. I'd say for the First 30 feet I had a fender on him and after that I was pulling about 4 or 5 cars ahead of him.

I was pretty impressed with the turbo version of the ss.Im sure with a bigger front mount and what not he would have gave me a run for the Money. I know when I raced my co workers 06 supercharged cobalt SS I killed him by Bus lengths and he had a stage II with a pulley!

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Should be pretty close if a ls1 is stock. Here's some food for thought.

"to get the power to the track, we used Mickey Thompson ET Street radials on stock wheels.

To get the power to the Mickeys, we used a new clutch we've developed. The stock unit just wasn't up to the task of being a steadily-dragraced car with sticky tires. It's wise to keep in mind regarding durability of the stock clutch...this car's been flogged since it had 500 miles on it, so the clutch may not have had much of a chance with such minimal break in. Plus, if anyone was going to find the limits of the stock clutch, it would be US! No other company so relentlessly dragraces their own equipment in the quest for not only bragging rights, but product development of the highest order.

The 12.95 you see here was the last pass of the night, and the only 12. I reeled off a string of 13.1 and 13.0 passes before nailing this one juuuust right. Funny thing is, it wasn't even my best 60' of the night, so there's def more to be had with more practice. The car was just perfect...I made 7 passes in just several hours, and she didn't even whimper!

My best 60' of the eve was a 1.93. The car is very challenging to launch, even with the Mickeys...when that 330 ft-lbs of torque hits the wheels in 1st, it just wants to break the tires loose...hard! I've been high 1.70's with FWD drag radials, but that was on a car I did a lot of laps in to get there. I don't doubt this one will follow suit!

MPH was decent, but with a mere 13.5 PSI in the Mickeys, I was definitely scrubbing off a MPH or three. A worthy tradeoff for the 12 second pass!"

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

There pretty impressive cars for what they are.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    So yesterday I had to run the Gf to the Mall cause she wanted to go shoping !!! So She kindly allowed me to go wash the Z while she had her fun. I get done washing it and I pull back onto route 51 to go meet up with her again.

I pull up to a red light and see a Brand new Temp tag and all turbo Cobalt SS. The kid was pretty cool and yelled hey bad ass car man and I returned the compliment. I told him we should run, and he agreed so on Green we go! I spun the tires a little bit due to all the tire shine that the car wash dude globed on my car. I'd say for the First 30 feet I had a fender on him and after that I was pulling about 4 or 5 cars ahead of him.

I was pretty impressed with the turbo version of the ss.Im sure with a bigger front mount and what not he would have gave me a run for the Money. I know when I raced my co workers 06 supercharged cobalt SS I killed him by Bus lengths and he had a stage II with a pulley!

nice kill, but can't you wash your own car?

I like those new turbo cobalts, just wait.... these things are gonna be crazy fast with little modifications... im just wondering how much boost the car can handle before shit starts to break.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Nice run, those new cobalts are quite a bit nicer than the supercharged ones

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    Nice run, those new cobalts are quite a bit nicer than the supercharged ones
    Definitely! Would like to run against one.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

In the latest Road & Track the Cobalt SS won the pocket rocket comparo test. It went up against the Mazdaspeed 3, lancer Ralliart, and WRX.
    That's a big deal.

Makes sense though, they're getting ready to replace it so it's about time they got it perfect.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    nice kill, but can't you wash your own car?

I like those new turbo cobalts, just wait.... these things are gonna be crazy fast with little modifications... im just wondering how much boost the car can handle before shit starts to break.
    I always do however I had to use my Free wash coupon I got before it expires, Plus I had the Hangover from hell going on saturday morning and the last thing I wanted to do was stand in the hot sun and get sick!!!!
    Last edited by Justin93; 10-13-2008 at 07:27 AM.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi7769 View Post
    In the latest Road & Track the Cobalt SS won the pocket rocket comparo test. It went up against the Mazdaspeed 3, lancer Ralliart, and WRX.
    That's a big deal.

Makes sense though, they're getting ready to replace it so it's about time they got it perfect.
    Yeah really, They Build the cobalt about 10 miles away from my house at lordstown so these cobalts are all over the place up here!!!!

black
    1999 T/A

a guy at my work has an 08 cobalt ss. Its pretty quick.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi7769 View Post
    That's a big deal.

WTF...I like my Speed3...I seriously don't think a Turbo Cobalt is faster (even a Stage II or whatever)...then again, I've done some simple mods to mine

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    WTF...I like my Speed3...I seriously don't think a Turbo Cobalt is faster (even a Stage II or whatever)...then again, I've done some simple mods to mine
    yea but those little tiny cobalts have 265 hp. I just test drove one today and the local chevy dealer. I was curious but to my surprise it Handles really well for a FWD car!!!! It has Monster torque steer though!

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    yea but those little tiny cobalts have 265 hp. I just test drove one today and the local chevy dealer. I was curious but to my surprise it Handles really well for a FWD car!!!! It has Monster torque steer though!
    And the Speed3s have 263 and with my CAI and Exhaust, I guarentee I gained at lsat if not over 2hp from those

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    And the Speed3s have 263 and with my CAI and Exhaust, I guarentee I gained at lsat if not over 20hp from those
    Fixed!!

You missed the "0" after the 2.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    Fixed!!

You missed the "0" after the 2.
    Why? I was making the joke that my Speed3 has more hp because I had 263 stock and the Cobalt SS has 265...the difference being 2 hp and me have an intake and exhaust which would be at least 2hp to put me at a higher hp rating than the Cobalt.

Thread Information