Thread: STS 98 cobra?

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

STS 98 cobra?

So until today I'd been itching real bad for a race since it'd been about a month since I'd last ran against anything. This morning my wish was granted with a beastly pimp slamp wrapped into the package.
    Was on my way to class this morning when I spot a black 98 body style cobra with MASSIVE rear tires about 4 cars ahead of me, so i'm thinking "hell ya, it's musting muching time!". As I get closer I notice a bunch of extra pipes and tubes at the rear of the car along with what looked to be some sort of metal box with a hose coming out of it feeding back towards the front of the car. On the outside (besides the tires and pipes in the back) the car looked and sounded stock, and looked quite pretty if I do say so myself with the 18' polished alloy rims. Luckily we both pull up first at a light which feeds into a nice big 3 lane road with about a 1/4mile stretch.. I look over at the guy; 40/50yr old black guy, and throw a couple revs his way. He looks over and gives a little grin and nod and looks back at the light, I catch a glimpse of the inside of his car as we were sitting there and see a gauge pillar with a nice big tachometer sitting above the center console.
    So I hold my revs as high as I can with my stock stall until the light turns green, I go wot and my tires bite immediately giving me a perfect launch. As I launch I look over and see the front end of the cobra jump up a little after it hooks and just start pulling away from me like i'm not even there.. That wasn't the most astounding part though, as it was pulling away this thing sounded like it was eating the atmosphere, at one point it got so loud it drowned out my exhaust completely and all I could hear was air being sucked into this thing, similar to what a jet engine sounds like. At each shift point he just kept pulling away more and more, it wasn't even a race. At about 100 he had god knows how many bus lengths on me and was still pulling away very hard. So I just shut it down out of complete embarrassment and listened to it blast away. At the next light he turned right and went his way, so unfortunately I never got a chance to ask him about his setup.

So yeah.....I basically started off my day by getting mercilessly raped.
    Last edited by LeadFarmer; 10-13-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Lol nice. you cant win them all. I know a guy with a 7 second camaro that sounds quiet enough to drive around town with the radio on 5 and still hear the music just fine, until he gets on it and then like you said its eats the atmosphere. He said he had taken the car through a drive through and ordered with no problems with car on at idle.

Tan 79 and Red 01
    79 Z28 & 01 SS SLP

There are quite a few quick cars running around DFW my friend! Had a neighbor in Garland who's turbo'd ex-CHP Stang was putting out @950HP. Total sleeper with stock looking wheels and all and sounded stock until he stepped on the loud pedal!
    There's always someone quicker out there!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The fuel pumps go in the very back often exposed like that, he had a box to cover it
    You want a pillow to sit on?

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The fuel pumps go in the very back often exposed like that, he had a box to cover it
    You want a pillow to sit on?
    Is the fuel pump relocation necessary for a rear turbo setup, or is it possible it could have just been a front mount turbo?

O and yes please

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It simply is an outer fuel pump, I imagine it is necessary for any of those guys who go f/i. On a recent cruise I was on, a fellow with a late 90's mustang had a fuel pump hanging down below the license. I thought it was something for a turbo also till he popped the hood and revealed the procharger. I don't doubt it was turbo'd but I think in all likeliness it was the pump since two fords in different states seem to match a similar description.

And beyond that I don't want to know the specifics of how any ford is faster than my car

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Haha nice death man

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i have had the same fate before...long ago when my car was stock i raced a eclipse 2001? GTS with 5 people yellin and being dumb with there CONVERTIBLE top down. I was gonna shut them stupid kids up untill we both stepped on it and all i could hear was (as you so awesomely put) the car eating the atmosphere...most embarrassing moment of my racing life.

a chick car with a drop top and 5 kids in it still beat my LS1..ownd
    so dont feel bad man that would be one hell of a loss id love to get my ass kicked by cars like that!

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Good death. Nice to read a humble post every now and then, I give you props for posting a Mustang death.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Happens to all of us. I got beat like a red headed step child by a rock looking 07 mustang with the California appearance package. My.friend has the same car with bolt ons and I walk away from him like nothing. This car looked the same right to the stock wheels. I saw a.guy in his 50's and he pulled next to me at a light and looked over an nodded so it was on. With my A4 ,3.73's and bolt ons I got a good jump on him I.figured it was over till he caught traction and walked away. Car sounded stock so he was pulling into a gas station so I wanted to understand what just happened. He had headers, high flow cats, and a normal sounding exhaust no cam lobe but there was a nice.polished whipple lurking under the hood. Dam sleeper car no fancy yacht just a small shift light I saw and a couple gauges mounted in the dash in a custom setup. Car was built perfectly to street race in my opinion nothing to really give it away all I.could hear racing was my exhaust. At least it was blown so.it made me feel better knowing I.find't get raped by a bolt on GT.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

White
    1998 Trans Am

Oh yeah forgot but before I.got.my LS1 I had a 89 5.0 manual with a cam,heads, intake, and a small powerdyne blower and used to love racing old LT1 fbodys and vettes Ames letting them see my taillights, plus my car had a macco paint job so it looked like a pos.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    i have had the same fate before...long ago when my car was stock i raced a eclipse 2001? GTS with 5 people yellin and being dumb with there CONVERTIBLE top down. I was gonna shut them stupid kids up untill we both stepped on it and all i could hear was (as you so awesomely put) the car eating the atmosphere...most embarrassing moment of my racing life.

a chick car with a drop top and 5 kids in it still beat my LS1..ownd
    so dont feel bad man that would be one hell of a loss id love to get my ass kicked by cars like that!
    Wow that's gotta be the biggest ego killer I've ever heard of. A convertible eclipse with 5 people in it.......shit I really can't think of anything worse, maybe a Miata?LOL If I was in your shoes I would've felt like shit for awhile, well atlleast up until the point I beat something else lol.

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Good death. Nice to read a humble post every now and then, I give you props for posting a Mustang death.
    thanks, to be honest I haven't won a race in about a year, it seems the only cars that like to pick a race with me are the ones that are modded to hell, or just stupid fast stock. Death list: Z06, R1, full bolt on prelude, turbo fox body, superchargered challanger and now this cobra
    Why can't I just have some ricer civic rev at me for once; Is that too much to ask for? lol

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Happens to all of us. I got beat like a red headed step child by a rock looking 07 mustang with the California appearance package. My.friend has the same car with bolt ons and I walk away from him like nothing. This car looked the same right to the stock wheels. I saw a.guy in his 50's and he pulled next to me at a light and looked over an nodded so it was on. With my A4 ,3.73's and bolt ons I got a good jump on him I.figured it was over till he caught traction and walked away. Car sounded stock so he was pulling into a gas station so I wanted to understand what just happened. He had headers, high flow cats, and a normal sounding exhaust no cam lobe but there was a nice.polished whipple lurking under the hood. Dam sleeper car no fancy yacht just a small shift light I saw and a couple gauges mounted in the dash in a custom setup. Car was built perfectly to street race in my opinion nothing to really give it away all I.could hear racing was my exhaust. At least it was blown so.it made me feel better knowing I.find't get raped by a bolt on GT.
    At least it was a nice car. Think of it this way, if you have the same style supercharger on your LS1 I think the story would've been a little different

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

ya it made me feel like i had a 2 inch....ya

it killed me for awhile but i got over it took me a few years.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Only main problem I have found with the TA is how.much a procharger or a vortech kit.costs.for.these cars. I only have 87k but putting any super or turbo just seems like.a lot after I had checked prices a 2yrs ago. Been looking for a nice used one. More cost effective to build a cammed, forged block with ported heads and a 250 shot for when things like this happen.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    for some reason I laughed hard when I read that

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    So until today I'd been itching real bad for a race since it'd been about a month since I'd last ran against anything. This morning my wish was granted with a beastly pimp slamp wrapped into the package.
    Was on my way to class this morning when I spot a black 98 body style cobra with MASSIVE rear tires about 4 cars ahead of me, so i'm thinking "hell ya, it's musting muching time!". As I get closer I notice a bunch of extra pipes and tubes at the rear of the car along with what looked to be some sort of metal box with a hose coming out of it feeding back towards the front of the car. On the outside (besides the tires and pipes in the back) the car looked and sounded stock, and looked quite pretty if I do say so myself with the 18' polished alloy rims. Luckily we both pull up first at a light which feeds into a nice big 3 lane road with about a 1/4mile stretch.. I look over at the guy; 40/50yr old black guy, and throw a couple revs his way. He looks over and gives a little grin and nod and looks back at the light, I catch a glimpse of the inside of his car as we were sitting there and see a gauge pillar with a nice big tachometer sitting above the center console.
    So I hold my revs as high as I can with my stock stall until the light turns green, I go wot and my tires bite immediately giving me a perfect launch. As I launch I look over and see the front end of the cobra jump up a little after it hooks and just start pulling away from me like i'm not even there.. That wasn't the most astounding part though, as it was pulling away this thing sounded like it was eating the atmosphere, at one point it got so loud it drowned out my exhaust completely and all I could hear was air being sucked into this thing, similar to what a jet engine sounds like. At each shift point he just kept pulling away more and more, it wasn't even a race. At about 100 he had god knows how many bus lengths on me and was still pulling away very hard. So I just shut it down out of complete embarrassment and listened to it blast away. At the next light he turned right and went his way, so unfortunately I never got a chance to ask him about his setup.

Been there, done that, my ass hurt, but it got better with time.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    for some reason I laughed hard when I read that
    I'm glad you find amusement in my time of debilitating pain lololol

black
    1998 transam ws6

no shame in geting beat by a fast car

Thread Information