Thread: SS vs. SRT-4

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

SS vs. SRT-4

So I was driving back from The Brit (a bar) on El Camino (a street not the car) and a SRT-4 pulled up next to me. I didn't notice him until he peeled out when the light turned. Then I slammed the throttle while in first and caught to his rear wheel when he let off. He slowed down to about 25 MPH and he counted off to 3 with his fingers and we went at it again. He pulled slightly ahead of my front bumper when I shifted to 2nd and started to pull but the goddamn light turned red and t'was my turn to make a left. We were sitting at the light and were talking and he said that his car was pretty stock and that he'd beaten an SS before. The light turned green and I said "nice launch" then we parted. Not exactly a kill, but I definately think I would have smoked him if I had more pavement to work with.

How quick are the SRT-4's? Don't they have a turbo, stock? And aren't they based off a Japanese car (honda possibly)? All of this is hear-say from a buddy of mine. Anyways, just thought I'd share and I would've loved to put that "american rice" in it's place.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Those SRT-4s are fast for a 4-banger. I hate to say it but about 2 years ago I thought about getting one. They rev high and fast, have an intercooler and turbo with 230hp and a m5. According to car and driver, they have a 13.9 1/4 bone stock--not bad for a neon.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Blue ---"Not bad for a neon".....You are a disgrace! Send me back my parts!!

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

They're not bad at all. I was looking into buying one for a daily driver as well but just couldn't get past the 4 door styling. The newer ones dyno 240-250 to the wheels stock so they're not underpowered. I saw a bone stock one save for a boost controller run an 8.3 @ 84+ in the 1/8th mile. He did have slicks on the front also but the guy driving told me it was his wife's daily driver. Not bad at all for a wrong wheel drive 4 banger.

Quote Originally Posted by Contra[SS]
    Not exactly a kill, but I definately think I would have smoked him if I had more pavement to work with.
    I agree.

WS6RedDragon
    Dude why didnt you continue at the light? Screw turning left that neon told you he has beaten an SS before you need to whip his ass and put him in his place.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Blue ---"Not bad for a neon".....You are a disgrace! Send me back my parts!!
    I know I done a bad thing, but at least its domestic. My dad had a '02 Z and that won me over cause they're better,so I got one too. And Contra, I think you would have had him with a little room.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Anyway you look at it, a Neon's still a Neon, some just cost more and the trunk comes full of bs.

thestaton
    the SRT-4 gets alot of its design ideas from Mitsu being Chrysler owns about 40% of Mitsu still. They are alright but at the end of the day its still a neon with the worst interior, and plagued by a majority of arrogant kids who will street race the amish if they look at um wrong.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WS6RedDragon
    Dude why didnt you continue at the light? Screw turning left that neon told you he has beaten an SS before you need to whip his ass and put him in his place.
    I know I shoud have, but I was a little tipsy and didn't want to further risk my chance of getting a speeding ticket or a DUI. Under any other circumstance I would've loved to tear him a new hole.

White
    2002 Camaro SS

I bought one for my dd/beater car, took the wing off and then the mod bug hit. I just added a couple of things and the darn thing is faster than my SS when it was stock (I have an altitude problem here 2700ft city and 3075ft track alt). Of course the SS isn't stock either anymore. I ran a 105 mph at the track in the SRT(108 best for SS w/mods), but here's the funny part; it was a 14.5s run! Traction is a huge issue. Our track prep is non-existent here for street nights and I get 2.35 60ft times or worse. I got a 2.15 60ft once after they heated up the track to dry up a spill, but I was bracket racing with my club and slowed down to not break out. From a roll I can take a stock ls1 with my current mods, from a dig it is a drivers race. So, we can pick on the stock and lightly modded SRTs, but watch out for the stage3r/big turbo ones. 2900lbs and 350wftlbs+ of torque = death to any stock ls1 and then some.

When these cars first came out, the people that bought them were former import owners and the crowd was very ricerish (some of those losers are still around). There are alot of real performance car enthusiasts into it now and the aftermarket is very strong. For less than a 1000 bucks these things can hang with and beat ls1s.

See my post

Thread Information