Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

smoked by a crossfire!!??

while cruising through the sacramento mtns in new mexico, i was passed by a chrysler crossfire. caught up and the race was on. figured he might have me on the curves and i'd smoke him in the straightaway. except, didn't work out that way. in fact, he seemed to pull harder.

pulled into a little town called 'weed', [serious, look it up!]. I thought it was a srt6 but he popped the hood and stuffed in was a 6.1 magnum with auto trans.

so....if your in new mexico just north of el paso tx and you see a little all black crossfire....

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by white98 View Post
    while cruising through the sacramento mtns in new mexico, i was passed by a chrysler crossfire. caught up and the race was on. figured he might have me on the curves and i'd smoke him in the straightaway. except, didn't work out that way. in fact, he seemed to pull harder.

pulled into a little town called 'weed', [serious, look it up!]. I thought it was a srt6 but he popped the hood and stuffed in was a 6.1 magnum with auto trans.

so....if your in new mexico just north of el paso tx and you see a little all black crossfire....
    i almost tripped out on this until i saw the part about the 6.1 magnum...i know theres a german company that makes 6.1 conversions for the crossfire but its a mercedes 6.1 and also upgrades suspension and other stuff...that conversion is about $40,000 according to my cousin, who studies those cars like we study f bodies. ...i dont know about the srt6, but the regular crossfire is slow until you hit upwards of 80mph then it does fairly well. my girls v6 mustang which ran 14.7 in the 1/4 smoked my cousins crossfire by at least 2 cars at the track. But yea, they can kill on the curves. very nice handling.
    Last edited by jiveass; 03-22-2010 at 05:50 AM.

1966 Corvette Coupe

That would be a fun little car... You could pull the wool over ALOT of eyes...

-me

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Oops.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

nice death! you couldn't hear the difference?

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

I think from driving from Florida to New Mexico, you lost a little bit of hp....Clean out those fuel injectors. Just kidding! I guess you can squeeze a 6.1 into the engine bay of those. My father in law has one. They look really nice!

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

El paso you say eh?

Exclamation died

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    nice death! you couldn't hear the difference?
    wasn't sure what it was when it came up on me.
    as it passed i saw the make but the sound was kinda like the sound THOR would make when he smiled!
    FELT would be a better descriptor than heard.

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    El paso you say eh?
    near the observatory north of el paso.
    car looks 'normal', just blacked out.

i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar

SOM
    01 WS6

I have an SRT-6 as a daily driver. It's a fun car to drive, handling is great of course and the brakes are awesome (13.1") they are throttle by wire and they put a delay on the WOT so if you floor it it doesn't go WOT just climbs quickly to WOT, so off the line really sucks. However once it's there it takes off like a bat out of hell. I've never had mine at the track but they can trap upwards of 108 or so stock which my TA trapped 107.8. So it's a good run for a stock LS1.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

hmmmmm....well fuck, next time I'm in El Paso, I'm going to have to go looking for this car, just so I can pull him over and check it out myself! Oh and take pics! haha

Never imagined a 6.1 Magnum could fit into those suckers, but that's gotta be badass

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I was confused as well, until I read the part about 6.1. It's a magnum, not the 6.1 Hemi? I was thinking it was an SRT6 also.

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Barracus View Post
    I have an SRT-6 as a daily driver. It's a fun car to drive, handling is great of course and the brakes are awesome (13.1") they are throttle by wire and they put a delay on the WOT so if you floor it it doesn't go WOT just climbs quickly to WOT, so off the line really sucks. However once it's there it takes off like a bat out of hell. I've never had mine at the track but they can trap upwards of 108 or so stock which my TA trapped 107.8. So it's a good run for a stock LS1.
    Gotta love the drive by wire. F'ing hate that.

pewter
    99 trans am

so since were talkin about the crossfire, heres a couple of pics of my cousins candy custom crossfire

White
    1998 Camaro

That's pretty B/A! I'll bring my F-body for some touch up paint.
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

pewter
    99 trans am

what really sets it off is the wheels. those are 18"s up front and 20"s out back....only costed 700 on ebay, but to me they make the whole thing work.

Your title said Crossfire, and I thought you got whipped by an 82 camaro or vette with Crossfire fuel injection

What in the world is a Chrysler Crossfire???

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Your title said Crossfire, and I thought you got whipped by an 82 camaro or vette with Crossfire fuel injection

What in the world is a Chrysler Crossfire???
    really? lol a crossfire is based off a mercedes slk320....what sucks about the car is that mercedes is so tight with their technology and what not that there is practically no aftermarket for this car, other than a tune that adds around 10hp, which even that can be touchy according to my cousin, who says that the tolerances in the factory tune are very tight, so gain is minimal. some guys have taken it upon themselves to create their own mods such as homebuilt headers, ls swaps and turbo setups. but from what im told, even this route can be quite frustrating. the best performance mod for this car costs around $40,000 which replaces the engine with a 6.1 mercedes v8, and suspension upgrades. too much money when you can have somethin a lot cooler for less than the origional price of the car.

Is that what is pictured above in this post??? I can't honestly say I remember even seeing something looking like that on the road. Strange looking little thing.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is that what is pictured above in this post??? I can't honestly say I remember even seeing something looking like that on the road. Strange looking little thing.
    yea thats a 2006 crossfire.

i have--MEMBER--a large T/A Barracus's Avatar

SOM
    01 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    really? lol a crossfire is based off a mercedes slk320....what sucks about the car is that mercedes is so tight with their technology and what not that there is practically no aftermarket for this car, other than a tune that adds around 10hp, which even that can be touchy according to my cousin, who says that the tolerances in the factory tune are very tight, so gain is minimal. some guys have taken it upon themselves to create their own mods such as homebuilt headers, ls swaps and turbo setups. but from what im told, even this route can be quite frustrating. the best performance mod for this car costs around $40,000 which replaces the engine with a 6.1 mercedes v8, and suspension upgrades. too much money when you can have somethin a lot cooler for less than the origional price of the car.
    There is actually a fair amount more you can do to the SRT-6's. Needswings and a few other companies provide a fair amount of performance stuff. The pulley and intake will get an SRT-6 solidly in the mid 12's and then there is a supercooler that is made etc. The fastest SRT-6 that I know of right now is 10.9 @ 127.4 but that was running 19.5lbs of boost AND spraying a 150 shot with custom heads and on Hoosiers.

The mods for these cars are ridiculously expensive though. They want $999.00 for the pulley kit.

Thread Information