Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slow 5.0

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

slow 5.0

Was cruisin last night and came up on a early 90s 5.0 with a couple knuckleheads in it. They were pacing me and kept goosing it tryin to get me to bite but I didn't as I really wasn't in the mood.

We come up to a stop light and are the first two cars, me on right, him on left. I look over and smile as he threw me a rev. I looked back at the light waiting for it to turn green.

I put in in 2nd waiting for the green. Green light came and I rolled out a foot or so to see if he was game and as soon as I heard him I punched it and immediatly put like 4 cars on him within a couple seconds. I slowed back down to the speed limit as he was catching up and they threw me a couple thumbs up as did I.

He definatly had exhaust and it sounded like a cam as well. But not sure as we didn't talk or anything.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Nice. They're really not bad cars but it takes quite a bit of modding to get them to run close to ours. Funny they wanted to run you - lots of kids think they've got the fastest car around only to find someone else is faster.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

white
    2000 Z28

heads and cam for them gets them in stock ls1 territory nice kill

silver
    2002 ws6

stock 5.0's are weak

2002 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Funny they wanted to run you - lots of kids think they've got the fastest car around only to find someone else is faster.
    They probably just wanted to race.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Nice. They're really not bad cars but it takes quite a bit of modding to get them to run close to ours. Funny they wanted to run you - lots of kids think they've got the fastest car around only to find someone else is faster.
    Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure they were bored. I don't think they actually expected to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    heads and cam for them gets them in stock ls1 territory nice kill
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    stock 5.0's are weak
    It's still fun to pick on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    They probably just wanted to race.
    My thoughts exactly. It was all in good fun.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by My Slow Camaro View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure they were bored. I don't think they actually expected to win.

Thanks.

It's still fun to pick on them.

My thoughts exactly. It was all in good fun.
    yeah it is fun to pick on them. kids that have them these days think they're so fast!

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    yeah it is fun to pick on them. kids that have them these days think they're so fast!
    They can be fast but only with boost and then you run into the 5.0 engine design problem. The weak lifter valley that tends to crack at high rpms and good power. I have a coupld friends who run 10s at 125-130mph one with a turbo at 9psi and one with a supercharger at 15psi.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

5.0s can be quite fast (11's and quicker) without boost - you just don't run into them as often, and it certainly takes more work to do it than it does with an LS1.

That said, they are light and cheap, and thus with someone that knows what to do with them.....lots of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    5.0s can be quite fast (11's and quicker) without boost - you just don't run into them as often, and it certainly takes more work to do it than it does with an LS1.

That said, they are light and cheap, and thus with someone that knows what to do with them.....lots of possibilities.
    That's what makes them such a great platform.

There were a ton of quick fox bodies in SW Ohio where I came from. You never knew what you were up against. Seemed to be a hot bed for them over there. Too many to count that dipped into the 11 second bracket with a few in the 10's as well.
    Street encounters were almost a daily occurance.

Here in Arizona, I rarely ever see one at all.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Getting to be pretty rare birds everywhere on the street these days. VERY common in Ford Drag Racing circles, but not so much anywhere else....of course the newest of the fox body Mustangs are now 17 years old. My how time flies...

Arctic White, red/gray

What I meant by fast was 8s and 9s with trap speeds exceeding 135mph. N/A 5.0s can move out and spray is always an option but to get real power out of a 5.0 boost or spray is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    What I meant by fast was 8s and 9s with trap speeds exceeding 135mph. N/A 5.0s can move out and spray is always an option but to get real power out of a 5.0 boost or spray is needed.
    Everyone here including myself, as far as I know were referring to street cars, something you would encounter on a somewhat normal basis.
    11 second mustangs in SW Ohio were pretty common, even up to just a couple years ago, until I moved out west.

8 and 9 second cars are not something you would see on a day to day basis out on the street. You rarely see a certified street car that fast at the track even. Most are gutted race cars brought in on trailers.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Everyone here including myself, as far as I know were referring to street cars, something you would encounter on a somewhat normal basis.
    11 second mustangs in SW Ohio were pretty common, even up to just a couple years ago, until I moved out west.

8 and 9 second cars are not something you would see on a day to day basis out on the street. You rarely see a certified street car that fast at the track even. Most are gutted race cars brought in on trailers.
    Someone mentioned low 11 and 10 second N/A 5.0s, those cars are most likely gutted.

I know a couple 8 second street cars. But anyway I didnt know we were all talking about street cars, just the 5.0 engine itself. My 2 buddies with 10 second stangs are still full interior cars.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The vast majority of 8 second or 9 second ANYTHING is going to have some sort of power adder.

The quickest non-stroked (ie...~308 cid) N/A 5.0 Mustang I know about went 9.3s @ ~145 mph. NMRA Hot Street car owned by Matt Wirt of Chesapeake VA.

Yes, most 10 second N/A 5.0s will be gutted, and very light. The old iron block 5.0 simply can't put out the power of the much larger LSx series of aluminum engines. We all know this. They can, however, be quite quick, and one reason for that is because they do start out with such a weight advantage - partially making up for the much lower initial power. No doubt I'll go faster at the same weight with a 346+ cid LSx series (assuming the same weight).

Of course, once we get into stroked 5.0s (330, 347s, etc), then we have go somewhat quicker.

Of course, once we get into stroked 5.0s (330, 347s, etc), then we have go somewhat quicker.
    That's what most of them are anymore. Talking about a car that is more than 20 years old and ran hard. There is at least one engine build in there. And with the cost of strokers so cheap it just makes sense. The engine shop I frequented had 2-3 347 builds going on just about every week it seemed.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

It should also be noted that Fox-Body LSx swaps are getting quite common. For a drag racer, its a match made in heaven....a light chassis with almost limitless suspension setups combined with a lightweight, compact, powerful powerplant. Neat stuff.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

+1. I would like to build a fox trunk model lx with a lsx powerplant
    Posted via Mobile Device

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

As stated earlier fox mustangs are very old cars,those guys were foolish to try a ls1 car,but in it's day 5.0 mustangs were the kings of the street.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    As stated earlier fox mustangs are very old cars,those guys were foolish to try a ls1 car,but in it's day 5.0 mustangs were the kings of the street.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes. Yes they were. Very.

I'm sure they were just looking for a little action win or lose. Unfortanately for them, they lost.

Thread Information