Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slk55 Amg

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Slk55 Amg

Ok, not a kill or a race but a sign of respect from the upper crust crowd.

About 10 minutes ago, on my way home i come to a light which is 3 lanes and im in the middle. The right lane only lasts about an 1/8th mile maybe less until it merges into my lane. As the the light changes a car creeps up the my right and we both roll out, I heard something and look over to notice that sloped SLK front end and while still in first i punch it with tires screeching then bang 2nd to chirp em.

The next light is red and he comes up to my diver side givin a thumbs up with his milf of a wife in the pass seat. After the light turns green i let him go (I saw about 15 cops within a 20 min drive) and damn that thing sounded mean!

We continue down the road to where i have to turn off, I flip my lights up flash em and then drop them a and he returns a enthusiastically shaken thumbs up through the back window.

Always good to get some respect from the rich guys driving Benz's.

I checked the specs and found 5.4L 332ci V8, 360hp@5750 /375tq @4000, 4.7 0-60. Not too shabby!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    Ok, not a kill or a race but a sign of respect from the upper crust crowd.

About 10 minutes ago, on my way home i come to a light which is 3 lanes and im in the middle. The right lane only lasts about an 1/8th mile maybe less until it merges into my lane. As the the light changes a car creeps up the my right and we both roll out, I heard something and look over to notice that sloped SLK front end and while still in first i punch it with tires screeching then bang 2nd to chirp em.

The next light is red and he comes up to my diver side givin a thumbs up with his milf of a wife in the pass seat. After the light turns green i let him go (I saw about 15 cops within a 20 min drive) and damn that thing sounded mean!

We continue down the road to where i have to turn off, I flip my lights up flash em and then drop them a and he returns a enthusiastically shaken thumbs up through the back window.

Always good to get some respect from the rich guys driving Benz's.

I checked the specs and found 5.4L 332ci V8, 360hp@5750 /375tq @4000, 4.7 0-60. Not too shabby!

Nice! Figured he woulda let you know you were #1
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 07-28-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Black
    2002 WS6

Nice i think he didnt wana be embarrased with his wife in the car he paid over $60k for!!

Firemist Red
    '05 AMG SLK55

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Night Stalker View Post
    Nice i think he didnt wana be embarrased with his wife in the car he paid over $60k for!!
    An SLK55 is a mid 12second car trapping ~ 112 mph. A 2002 T/A is a mid 13 sec car trapping ~ 106 mph. I don't think he was too worried.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by KLEEMANN View Post
    An SLK55 is a mid 12second car trapping ~ 112 mph. A 2002 T/A is a mid 13 sec car trapping ~ 106 mph. I don't think he was too worried.
    Assuming both cars were stock and I'm pretty sure that his TA was more likely to be modded than the SLK.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

mid-12 car? Well, according to R&T, Motor Trend, or C&D all Mercedes are speed demons. They must get the down hill pass when they are tested.
    Fast cars, no doubt, but paper numbers seem inflated on them.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

he should be if it were me and MANY others on here....i appear stock...i love it

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    mid-12 car? Well, according to R&T, Motor Trend, or C&D all Mercedes are speed demons. They must get the down hill pass when they are tested.

they have lightning fast 6 and 7 speed auto trannys that are built for acceleration NOT gas milage...and im sure there near 50/50 weight distribution helps a lil too..... the numbers are accurate....they better be for the cost of those cars

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    they have lightning fast 6 and 7 speed auto trannys that are built for acceleration NOT gas milage...and im sure there near 50/50 weight distribution helps a lil too..... the numbers are accurate....they better be for the cost of those cars
    I'm not arguing that they are anything but fast, however in one of those magazines they test several different models of MB's with the same HP and a significant weight difference, yet the ET's are virtually the same.

You're right, gas mileage sucks. A LS1 M6 can come close to 75% better gas mileage for similar performance. Of course, if you can afford one of these German autobahn cars, the price of gas isn't much of an issue.

I'll take mine in red, white, and blue.

Firemist Red
    '05 AMG SLK55

12.7 ETs @ 111 are typical. 12.8 ETs are the "slow" times. Several guys on the Mercedes Benz forum have squeezed 12.2 ETs @ 112 mph (stock with posted timeslips).

Guys, nobody is talking down the OPs T/A. I like T/As (hell, I like just about all Muscle cars as did the SLK55 driver the OP was playin' with).

Stock AMG cars are pretty fast. Modded, they get faster real quick since most already come equipped with a blower (Kompressor) from the factory.
    Obviously, the AMG cars handle pretty well & have zero brake fade (they are built for more than strictly straight line speed performance so while they are pricey, they are built well & are all around solid performing cars).

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

12.7 ETs @ 111 are typical. 12.8 ETs are the "slow" times. Several guys on the Mercedes Benz forum have squeezed 12.2 ETs @ 112 mph (stock with posted timeslips).

Guys, nobody is talking down the OPs T/A. I like T/As (hell, I like just about all Muscle cars as did the SLK55 driver the OP was playin' with).

Stock AMG cars are pretty fast. Modded, they get faster real quick since most already come equipped with a blower (Kompressor) from the factory.
    Obviously, the AMG cars handle pretty well & have zero brake fade (they are built for more than strictly straight line speed performance so while they are pricey, they are built well & are all around solid performing cars).
    AMG's are certainly nice - and fast - cars. I have to face the fact that I will never be able to afford one, but I can appreciate the quality that goes into their build. Just a whole lotta money...way more than I'll part with.

I'd just prefer to take my Z28 and mod it as I go along. It will stay a sleeper too. AMG badging is a big "HERE I AM, A PERFORMANCE MODEL". My goal is to have a mid-11 car, but one with a suspension far superior to the stock version. Lots of work to be done, but that's part of the fun.

No doubt the AMG's are a real performance push from a standard MB. Still, I do not like the way most magazines seem to favor both MB's and BMW's (and recently Audi's) over say American cars like the Corvette, for no obvious reason.

Firemist Red
    '05 AMG SLK55

Thumbs up

AMG's are certainly nice - and fast - cars. I have to face the fact that I will never be able to afford one, but I can appreciate the quality that goes into their build. Just a whole lotta money...way more than I'll part with.

I'd just prefer to take my Z28 and mod it as I go along. It will stay a sleeper too. AMG badging is a big "HERE I AM, A PERFORMANCE MODEL". My goal is to have a mid-11 car, but one with a suspension far superior to the stock version. Lots of work to be done, but that's part of the fun.

No doubt the AMG's are a real performance push from a standard MB. Still, I do not like the way most magazines seem to favor both MB's and BMW's (and recently Audi's) over say American cars like the Corvette, for no obvious reason.
    Yes, your Z28 is a real "sleeper". (I'm just yanking your chain a little ;o) . Seriously, I think people get the idea your car halls ballz when they see it - it's a Muscle car my friend.

If you want a Benz - you can get one but like you said, it may not be worth the money for what you want out of a car. I'm the same way with my RX-7...I'd rather keep & mod it as I have as it's just a fun little car to DRIVE & outperforms 99% of stuff on the road (and it's rare). Soooo, no harm in keeping what you like - I personally think people are foolish to always keep having car payments.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Yes, your Z28 is a real "sleeper". (I'm just yanking your chain a little ;o) . Seriously, I think people get the idea your car halls ballz when they see it - it's a Muscle car my friend.

If you want a Benz - you can get one but like you said, it may not be worth the money for what you want out of a car. I'm the same way with my RX-7...I'd rather keep & mod it as I have as it's just a fun little car to DRIVE & outperforms 99% of stuff on the road (and it's rare). Soooo, no harm in keeping what you like - I personally think people are foolish to always keep having car payments.

Yeah, I do have to laugh at myself calling a hugger orange and striped Z28 a "sleeper". It is supposed to be somewhat fast, but I like when it is MUCH faster than you would think. When it will pull the front wheels off the ground, I think I'll be where I want to be!

In this area, the V12 MB's outnumber all F-bodies by probably 2 to 1. I can't imagine what a $1000+ car payment is like! Yikes.
    Last edited by jad628; 07-30-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

My father has had two, one E55 AMG and his new one is the CL 65 AMG. You wouldn't want to mess with either of them. My mother drives the car you are talking about (SLK 55 AMG), and it would run pretty close with any stock LS1, although from driving it my SS seems faster (my mother's feels like its geared for middle aged women to drive, though I have no idea if thats the case).

Thing about those cars is, you don't realize how god damn fast they are because it feels like you are riding on air. You gun it, look down a few seconds later and your doin 100, even tho it feels like 60. The seats even move around when your taking corners to support your weight correctly.

Its cool that the dude was pretty nonchalant about it all and he appreciated your ride. I would bet he was pretty sure his was faster tho.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    I would bet he was pretty sure his was faster tho.
    Yeah I would be willing to bet on it but its good to get some recognition and respect from that kinda guy.

Black
    2002 WS6

Dnt know were you get the mid 12seconds from but heres wat a stock one did on a 1/4 mile http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-11760.html

Firemist Red
    '05 AMG SLK55

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Night Stalker View Post
    Dnt know were you get the mid 12seconds from but heres wat a stock one did on a 1/4 mile http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-11760.html
    The same place you did (12.2 @ 112 mph): http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-9903.html

As I said in my earlier post, there are outliers for EVERY car (very slow times - your posted time), & very fast ones (my posted time). Removing the tail ends of the distribution curve, the midpoint/average for both cars is accurate (mid/high 12 sec car for the SLK & a mid/low 13 sec car for the T/A). So my times come from multiple sources - not just drag times (published ETs & traps in C&D, R&T, MT, Automobile, Dragtimes, my own experience, etc. Put them all together & you have a very good idea of traps & ETs.

In stock format, the SLK55 is just a quicker car - it's newer, weighs less, has more power & torque, a 7 Spd tranny, etc. The car is also significantly more money so you are paying for more overall performance & some other things (retractable hard top, airscarf, GPS/Nav, Xenon lamps, blah blah.. ;o) . I didn't mention the Black Series which weighs even less & has another 45 Hp.

I raced one a while back. Once from a dig and he had bus lengths on me. Those things have traction like alien technology. From highway rolls I stood a better chance of staying even. We raced 4 or 5 times. The dude said he had more respect for Z/28's after that highway roll. They will absolutely kill a Z/28 that isn't highly modified I lived it.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Firemist Red
    '05 AMG SLK55

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    I raced one a while back. Once from a dig and he had bus lengths on me. Those things have traction like alien technology. From highway rolls I stood a better chance of staying even. We raced 4 or 5 times. The dude said he had more respect for Z/28's after that highway roll. They will absolutely kill a Z/28 that isn't highly modified I lived it.
    Your post was funny regarding traction (I had to set my Dr. Pepper down during lunch ).

It's cool you guys had fun - nothing wrong with some harmless pulls. SLK55 street encounters are likely not so numerous as there are only 1,000 produced/yr for the US market (production numbers for the other AMG models are significantly higher than the SLK55 - it's cool you ran one).

Young dude about 28 in a vert, said he was getting something even more $$$$. He was just droppin off 2 hotties at a strip club, lucky bastad. The crazy mofo passed a car by driving to a slower cars left which was in the fast lane and the divider was to his left!

I sh8t you not, that is how bad he tried getting me off his butt.

To those familiar - it was between Genesee and the 8 E going south on the 163 S.
    5 lane rd minimal traffic, the guy just chose that route.

Thread Information