Thread: Saleen?

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

Question Saleen?

LS1 Vs Mustang Saleen? How would it go?
    How fast are those cars.

maroon
    2001 Z28

depends what year your talking about, trannys, mods etc....

My buddy raced an 04 saleen S281, supercharged. He had an 01 WS6 w/ lid, LT's and borla nad got the saleen by 3 cars to 120mph. Dude in the saleen was pissed off, called the car dealership right away and bitched at the salesman, cause he told him it would kill an LS1. Dude ended up taking it back, what a waste...damn thing cost $50,000...........shoulda got a damn Zo6 for that kinda cash.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I try to hunt for Saleen's during late night drives. I Knew someone that blew the motor on one just driving out of the dealership. I told him next time to give me his wallet so I could set it on fire for him, it would be easier...

Black
    1987 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by 01mmmz28
    depends what year your talking about, trannys, mods etc....

My buddy raced an 04 saleen S281, supercharged. He had an 01 WS6 w/ lid, LT's and borla nad got the saleen by 3 cars to 120mph. Dude in the saleen was pissed off, called the car dealership right away and bitched at the salesman, cause he told him it would kill an LS1. Dude ended up taking it back, what a waste...damn thing cost $50,000...........shoulda got a damn Zo6 for that kinda cash.
    I agree 100%. I had a supercharged-turbocharged 99 GT and I went to price a Saleen at a local dealer just to have something different. The salesman told me the price which was like 48K and I said to him that would get a ZO6 first and come back and whip up on his Saleen all day. Only the 281-E comes with forged internals so the other engines could be broken easily. If anything, the 03/04 Cobra is a much better way to go over the Saleen.

The saleen says look at me in my expensive, nice looking, but not so fast, car. I was never impressed with them even as a mustang owner. The Cobra ,with forged internals, that's a great buy IMO.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc87GN
    I agree 100%. I had a supercharged-turbocharged 99 GT and I went to price a Saleen at a local dealer just to have something different. The salesman told me the price which was like 48K and I said to him that would get a ZO6 first and come back and whip up on his Saleen all day. Only the 281-E comes with forged internals so the other engines could be broken easily. If anything, the 03/04 Cobra is a much better way to go over the Saleen.

The saleen says look at me in my expensive, nice looking, but not so fast, car. I was never impressed with them even as a mustang owner. The Cobra ,with forged internals, that's a great buy IMO.
    Well, 1st off, you have a kickass car already, a Buick G. National is my friend's dream car, they're gettin way to scarse. I think if you have 48k, you can find something better to get. There's always flashier cars like a Lotus or a '70 426 Hemicuda, LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Fade2Black
    LS1 Vs Mustang Saleen? How would it go?
    How fast are those cars.
    which one? There are multiple versions of a Saleen mustang. Most are body kits and suspension bullshit that just make the car slower. But the s281E and the s351 are both over 400hp and run 12s out the door.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    which one? There are multiple versions of a Saleen mustang. Most are body kits and suspension bullshit that just make the car slower. But the s281E and the s351 are both over 400hp and run 12s out the door.
    $48K still isn't justified tho...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    $48K still isn't justified tho...
    they are a rip off but the s351 is rare. No mustang is worth that much.

Black
    1987 Grand National

they are a rip off but the s351 is rare. No mustang is worth that much.
    I agree those are rare and real fast. I don't think I have ever seen an S351 on the road.

maroon
    2001 Z28

never even seen an s351 in person, seen plenty of s281's and maybe a very very skilled driver can get on into the 12's, but when a light bolt-on WS6 can slap one around, I'd say they are not worth it, you're paying for the name.

Quote Originally Posted by 01mmmz28
    never even seen an s351 in person, seen plenty of s281's and maybe a very very skilled driver can get on into the 12's, but when a light bolt-on WS6 can slap one around, I'd say they are not worth it, you're paying for the name.
    The s351 is around 500hp I think . There are like 3 different versions of the s281 and then there is the s281e. Stage 1 is visual, 2 is visual and minor bolt ons, 3 is a roots blower slapped onto the stock 4.6 SOHC engine and the s281e is a blown SOHC with a built bottom end and I think they have a custom paint job.

So which version you are talking about makes a big difference.

Black
    1987 Grand National

The s351 is around 500hp I think . There are like 3 different versions of the s281 and then there is the s281e. Stage 1 is visual, 2 is visual and minor bolt ons, 3 is a roots blower slapped onto the stock 4.6 SOHC engine and the s281e is a blown SOHC with a built bottom end and I think they have a custom paint job.

So which version you are talking about makes a big difference.
    That was the thing that pissed me off about the Saleens. I was at the dealer looking at a S281-SC and it would have been 50K off of the lot without forged internals. I could have justified the additional cost if it had a fully forged rotating assembly. Not to mention the poorly efficient, but reliable, Eaton M90. The Saleen VI is much more efficient as a whipple charger and not roots. I believe the non-supercharged version approached 40K so I just couldn't see it.

saleen= the suck
    324hp/333tq

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I would call bullshit on the s281e running 12's out the door. Maybe the s351 but who is gonna spend 50k or better. Hell my $15000 SS will run that and it really pisses them off. I killed a new Saleen last week. They are so over priced and won't run. What you have to realize is just because they advertise 400 horse that is at the flywheel. Your looking at about 340 rwhp give or take a little at the 15% for manual and less for an auto.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    I would call bullshit on the s281e running 12's out the door. Maybe the s351 but who is gonna spend 50k or better. Hell my $15000 SS will run that and it really pisses them off. I killed a new Saleen last week. They are so over priced and won't run. What you have to realize is just because they advertise 400 horse that is at the flywheel. Your looking at about 340 rwhp give or take a little at the 15% for manual and less for an auto.
    hmm well lets see. They are rated at 425hp(last time I heard, I havent checked because I dont like Saleens), better suspension than stock stangs, better tires and trap over 110. If you cant run 12s in it, you are pathetic. The s351 traps over 120, so that can easily run 12s.

Wow so you killed a whole ONE Saleen, good job. If your SS is stock, it wont be touching a stock s351 or a s281e. Plus Saleens have a resale value through the roof.

its for rich bastards who want to buy the name, SALEEN.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

hmm well lets see. They are rated at 425hp(last time I heard, I havent checked because I dont like Saleens), better suspension than stock stangs, better tires and trap over 110. If you cant run 12s in it, you are pathetic. The s351 traps over 120, so that can easily run 12s.

Wow so you killed a whole ONE Saleen, good job. If your SS is stock, it wont be touching a stock s351 or a s281e. Plus Saleens have a resale value through the roof.

Who cares about stock. If I dumped 40k into a Neon engine, I'm sure it'll keep up w/ my Camaro. And alot of idiots are putting SALEEN across the windshield of a V6 Mustang... If I was a rich bastard who wants a name it would be VIPER or McLaren...

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

If you could read and do the math then you would understand. And no I'm not stock.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    If you could read and do the math then you would understand. And no I'm not stock.
    read what? If you dont post a sig when you post, how is anyone going to remember what you have? unless your car is stripped down, I will put my money on the s351.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Who cares about stock. If I dumped 40k into a Neon engine, I'm sure it'll keep up w/ my Camaro. And alot of idiots are putting SALEEN across the windshield of a V6 Mustang... If I was a rich bastard who wants a name it would be VIPER or McLaren...
    ok
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 12-20-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Thread Information