Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

grey
    95 9c1 caprice

racing with winter beaters

i just wanted to see if other people do this....i have always had winter cars up here in the norther ny area and i used to have a 88 yugo gv and i ended up putting a used cherry bumb and a tach and i used to race anything just cause it was so slow but it did turn 8200rpms before the valves would float. it would give me a rush flooring it for like 15-20seconds off the line trying to keep up with someone that doesnt even know we are racing and after flooring it and shifting it as hard as i could without letting off the gas while going inbetween gears and after 20 seconds i was still under the speed limit.....i put 10inch wide tires up front from a opel and a wooden lift kit "yea this car shouldnt of been on the road" but i was young and didnt care about my winter cars...i bought it off a friend that drove it the same way always way above the 5k redline that the manual told us and it never burned or leak anything and the only thing that broke was the shift lever cause i was racing a 90 olds classic and i was right next to him and i drabbed 2nd so hard that it broke the lever from underneath the floor board!..me and my friend put a total of over 40k on the car without breaking anything and it had 160k when i sold it and i saw it around for awhile...from what i hear i think i had a good one cause most people didnt like their yugos...anyways i just wanted to hear what other people did with their winter cars

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

funny story.

i got a rush just reading that

i used to race my 92 lumina against things like a old dodge dakota and what not.

Maple Red Metalic (MRM)
    2000 TransAM WS7

Ah yes.. My old Dodge Spirit. It was the POS my praents handed down to me (because it wasent worth the gas of taking it to the junk yard). Man i ran the piss out of that thing.. This was the car the i learned about checking oil levels on... Threw a rod, and then i think the motor seized (wouldnt even turn over). Got 50$ out of it though, from the jyard...

98T/Aformula
    Ran my 98 eclips through 4ft snow drifts this last winter and never got stuck lol but then agin I was stuck in the middle of the snow storm and didnt want to get stranded, all tho once I got home there was a drift infront of my driveway that was a good 5ft high and I hit that doing about 40 lol, then I was stuck haha. Glad the TA was in the garage

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I have never seen actuall snow...

Last edited by Rikki_SeVeN; 09-14-2007 at 08:19 AM.

NBM
    99 TA

a few years ago me and a buddy had a rival going, he had an 88 Rx7 that he dropped an LT1/6spd into. It was winter time so we couldn't race but we kept talking shit to each other about who was going to win

so one day we were both at a light in our winter beaters, i had a dodge stratus and he had a cavalier... light went green and it was ON.. i kicked his ass!

Sad part was that some suv passed us that was just driving at a normal pace

98T/Aformula
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post

Lol and the sad part was I had to dig my car out that night, so like 2 in the morning, with it snowing and the wind blowing 70+ mph.....Im moving to Puerto Rico lol

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula View Post
    Lol and the sad part was I had to dig my car out that night, so like 2 in the morning, with it snowing and the wind blowing 70+ mph.....Im moving to Pureto Rico lol
    LOL... yep... it's great here most of the time... right now there's suposed to be a Tropical Storm comin that might turn into a Hurricane... (that's the only down side)...

oh yeah... the other downside is when it gets to hot and humid that your ballz stick to your legs like Crazy Glue...

white
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post

with the winter that we got hit with last year, consider your self lucky. all we could do was go to the liquor store, buy beer and stay warm and drunk haha

98T/Aformula
    Yeah thats how Colorado summers are, hot and dry but winters can be either really harsh or 50 and 60s with no snow...And the car sits around for 5 months

98T/Aformula
    Quote Originally Posted by coloLs1 View Post
    with the winter that we got hit with last year, consider your self lucky. all we could do was go to the liquor store, buy beer and stay warm and drunk haha
    This winter did suck ! I was sick of seeing white

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Anyone gettin rid of their f-bodies before the winter comes for pretty kinda cheap

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Anyone gettin rid of their f-bodies before the winter comes for pretty kinda cheap
    i just sold a thirdgen for $1,200

Black
    01 Camaro SS

I race my winter beater all the time. The LS2 does ok...
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I ruined my winter beater =( Going through snow drift the plow threw up, I guess the radiator got jammed or something cause it overheated and siezed. Snow plow plows the streets and goes around your parked car, leaving you with this mountain of snow all the way around you. Sure...you COULD shovel it, but where is the fun in that. I love'd throwing it from reverse to drive in the old junker is hard as I could going back in forth trying to make headway then for some reason you are compelled to get your ass bouncing up and down on the seat for extra traction.

98T/Aformula
    Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I ruined my winter beater =( Going through snow drift the plow threw up, I guess the radiator got jammed or something cause it overheated and siezed. Snow plow plows the streets and goes around your parked car, leaving you with this mountain of snow all the way around you. Sure...you COULD shovel it, but where is the fun in that. I love'd throwing it from reverse to drive in the old junker is hard as I could going back in forth trying to make headway then for some reason you are compelled to get your ass bouncing up and down on the seat for extra traction.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA Yes !!!! been there lol I tought I was the only one

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    i just sold a thirdgen for $1,200

Damn I missed out on a thirdgen lol, congrats on sell her and welcome to the quest of an Lt1/Ls1

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I've had a ton of races with winter beaters. The best one was with my truck against a SN95 Saleen S281. I put it in 4 wheel low range with the front shaft off and roasted his ass. I had a 83 Cutlass with a chevy 350 swapped in that could barely pull on a 92 V6 firebird until about 60ish and it would shift to 2nd gear at about 68. It had big time highway gears in it. My favorite winter beater was a 84 Subaru GL wagon. Super tiny 4cyl with a 4 speed and 4wheel drive. It was another good one to pop into 4wheel low and launch like crazy run all 4 gears in low range than shift to 3rd in high range. I beat a few ricers with it that way. Otherwise it wouldn't go at all. If I'd go up a moderate sloped hill in 4th it would lose speed with the gas to the floor! It had close to 300k on it when I sold it.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am M6

so one day we were both at a light in our winter beaters, i had a dodge stratus and he had a cavalier... light went green and it was ON.. i kicked his ass!

Sad part was that some suv passed us that was just driving at a normal pace
    i lol'ed at that....

I used to race my dads PT Cruiser i had to drive when my 97 had a blown lt1 and had to sit for 2 years...i used to beat the shit out of my drummers turbo jetta which is saying something for a NONturboed 4 banger fat pig of a car...this was until my girlfriend crashed it and sent my head through the windshield ultimately resulting in my LS1 purchase

For one
    Looking

That would be the reason I live in Phoenix. I left Colorado because of the snow, but more because of the gravel they put down because of the snow. I never had an accident on snow. I had 2 on the gravel

Thread Information