Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Racing The Police

Can my car keep up w/ a Crown Vic or Impala w/ a police package? Always wondered what the specs are on Cop Cars.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Not only would you keep up, you'd walk away from them. They're really heavy with all if their police crap.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

I think you will smoke it. i would love to race a cop just to see where they stand.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Pull up next to one at a light sometime and rev at him, i'm sure he will bite

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Pull up next to one at a light sometime and rev at him, i'm sure he will bite
    Funny! After you...

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    Funny! After you...
    It'd probably be on my list if I had an hour to live

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lol

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...cPoliceInt.asp

brand new ones have 250 horse, i'd be bad if roush made them or SVT

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Right now those cars are maybe 235 h.p. stock, and then bare bones, 3600 pounds on the light side, then add the weight of the radio, computer, cage, paperwork, light bars, gadgets, guns, heavy duty suspension etc, ..what kind of question are you asking us? I would say crown vics, with everything that I have mentioned, maybe 16's in a 1/4. I went to the track the other night and a guy was runnin one them morauders, those have '02 320 horse cobra engines in them and 15.5's all night. Top end on the vic.s are usually limited to right around 130...the reason is tire issue, what maybe put on after the goodyears are spent.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Dont care how fast any of your cars are...including mine......we can't out run the two way radio..........

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    dude cop cars are no compare with LS1s!!! are u kidding me.. ok they are faster than regular crown vics. but not faster than u.. even without all those cop stuffs in them, you will still walk on them!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

There's tons of used cop cars in my town that kids are modding up. This one kid lowered one and put glass packs on it with custom wheels. He tried racing me, but not even close. They are not very fast compared to any real sports car. They also have heavier frames in them for stability to push cars off the road. The last good fast cop cars were the B4C camaro's and Caprices. The Caprice was faster then the Mustangs!

NBM
    98 trans am

faster than mustangs? well thats no surprise...

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Well from personal experiance on a stock SS you will not hook up on launch and then you will pull so hard on them that the cop about 3 miles up the road will be waiting for you on an overpass, then they will both pull you over about 1 mile later. Oh yea thats after you slow down too about 80 and they get the chance too catch up. Lets just say that was an expensive group of fines. The funny part was it was an unmarked car that reved back at me so i was like umm yea lets go. lol
    Fun times i guess
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

White
    2001 Camaro SS

But beware I saw a Hemi Charger cop car the other day.

However we would still put lengths on them.

flat black
    idk bought where yall live, maybe its just different here one of my friends is a cop and he got a new cruiser and took it out on the highway last week...just to make sure it would do 155, that car will go sideways in every gear..i was sittin there while he was saying that..."must make car even faster..." he kinda gave me a weird look

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    Can my car keep up w/ a Crown Vic or Impala w/ a police package? Always wondered what the specs are on Cop Cars.
    Just consider some parts "heavy duty" and there is your police package. Crown Vics (P71 on Fords) are decent, but no where near any LS-engine car. Police package and Taxi-package are pretty much the same thing. In a "legal" 1/4 run, a stock LS1 running on seven cylinders would still leave a Crown Vic (I know several troopers on NCSHP who had their Camaros deadlined and were forced back into Vics. They were not happy). 4000 lbs PLUS about 200-300 more in equipment. The only saving grace against a "stock" Vic is a better rear-gear, but sometimes THAT ain't enough and a stock Vic is actually faster than the police package!!! My '94 T-bird with a lightly modded 4.6 would leave a Vic, but it would not touch an LS1. Not even close. I've never actually driven the newer Impala "marked" cars, but I hear they have reliablity issues. Nobody seems to like the FWD either. I've driven a few unmarked ones, but they don't differ much from a "regular" Impala. Police packages are NOT really higher performance. That's a mystique that still continues on. I thought about putting a "Police Interceptor" badge on my kid's battery-powered Gator at one time!!!

BTW, 130 mph is about top end on one (Vic), but it's not because of a limiter, it just runs out of horsepower around there. I'm not sure about the Impalas but i have seen 125 'ish out of one.The older 5.8L Vics were even slower than the 4.6's!!! I had one of the faster ones and it topped out at 128mph. But you could run it there for miles. It would not overheat, and that was probably the best attribute of the police package.

I wouldn't recommend a street race though. He won't pay you if YOU win, and he will definitely make YOU pay if YOU lose.
    Last edited by jad628; 09-11-2006 at 09:06 AM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

As the other guys have said, Police Interceptor Crown Vics really aren't that fast at all. Fully equipped, they weigh in at about 4200lbs, and they only have 235HP stock. Even with the "low restriction" police package exhaust, they still have less than 250HP.

So basically any car running 14's or better shouldn't have a problem getting away from one, provided they don't have your plate number and you can drive worth a damn

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

From personal experience with the 94-96 Caprices:
    They were powered by an LT1, putting out 260 hp and about 330 lb/ft of torque. Mine was really quick, handled very very well (flat in the corners.), and built to last.
    Lots of heavy duty stuff like brakes, shocks, springs, swaybars, some had posi-rear, thicker gauge steel frame, tighter and quicker steering, green silicone cooling hoses, heavy duty trans cooler, steering fluid cooler, additional oil cooler.......the list goes on. Lookin at about 7 secs 0-60 and the 1/4 in about 14.5 - 15 for a car weighing 4200 lbs.
    The newer Crown Vics are NO MATCH for these older Caprices, much less an LS powered car. They're not all that bad, though some cops say they wallow like pigs in the corners. Not so with the big Caprices.
    Police cars handle quite well for what they are, and many officers are trained to know the limits of their cruisers, and can probably drive their cars harder and better than we can drive ours. Plus, they only go to 80% of their car's capabilities, just to have that extra bit, or that margin.
    Never ever try to outrun a cop. I'm not one by the way.
    That being said, an LS car is much much faster, handles better, and is a true sports car. But I know not to mess with one of my old Caprices....she did 144 on the open highway.....and outran Mustang GTs....ahahahahaha!

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

Oh, and the new Impalas are terrible..... cops drive the beefed up version of the Impala LT...and watch out for those Charger R/Ts....they're everywhere, but you can still take'em.

Thread Information