Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Raced a Twin Turbo 2007 Vette

So I finally got my turbo 240sx tuned were It pulled hard all the way through 7000rpm, So I decided to go to my local 1/8 mile drag strip to see how it runs, Got up there and encountered a few problems, due to the air change, (I live in the Valley and The track is on the Mountain) So it screwed my tune all up, After a Few passes I was able to tune it back. Made a 8.14@89MPH pass, an 8.17@87MPH pass, I was upping the boost as I went, started at 4lbs and finished at 10Lbs, I mostly ran pro drag cars cause thats all that was pulling beside me, Until this Twin Turbo Vette decided he wanted some, I figured I would scare him a bit so I pulled a Pro Stock Burnout through the lights :} HAHA Gotta love a big burnout. This Guy is running the rear Turbo setup with Auto trans, Not sure if he had slicks or Radials. I was running 8 inch slicks in the back at the time, With radials on the front, Mistake... SO we line up, I cut a .003 light, to his .224 light ,1.67 60' to his 2.02 60' and at half track, I was fucked I was way out of the groove and it decided to take a hard left, So I pedaled it through the lights sideways, ran a 8.10@91, to his 8.43@96. I won by a car topend, My Dad said I had him by 3 cars till I decided to Drift!!! The track was getting moister on it and those 8 inch slicks were not cutting it. Top end it was getting crazy with me, As I parked my car the guy in the vette passed and gave me a thumbs up!!!! I think I might of scared him a little bit with my Drift!!!! HAHA.... But I like cool guys that can respect a fast import that own domestic, There all cool cars in there own way. I own both.

By the end of the night my best pass was 7.80 @ 91MPH, I was satisfied.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Looks like a solid 11 second car... Good stuff.

Black
    1998 Z/28

wow, a TT vette ran a 8.43 in the 1/8th, must of not knew how to drive or somethin, sounds like a good time for u, what size turbo u runnin?

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Corey1987 View Post
    wow, a TT vette ran a 8.43 in the 1/8th, must of not knew how to drive or somethin, sounds like a good time for u, what size turbo u runnin?
    Im not sure what his deal was, He sounded like a jet engine on top end and ran 96MPH but had nothing bottom end, I only heard him change gears 1 time so he must have a high gear in the rear.

As of now im using a T25 which has ceramic turbines that suck topend, If funds allow im trying to upgrade to gt45 for next year, With that turbo I can put down 750WHP, But not sure if I can use that much power do to already having problems keeping it in a straight line.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

What engine do you have, the record for the most hp out of the sr20 is 2 hp under 700rwhp. So unless you are running a inline 6 turbo IDK

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

A Built Rb25det, Its an inline 6, Everything internal has been modified and forged, Bored, honed, Decked, balanced, Compression was raised in the motor from factory 9:1 to now 9:8 so im not stressing the internals as hard under boost.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

why is 9 to 8 better for the internals then 9 to 1?

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

The more compression you run on a turbo motor the less Ooops in tuning you have to blow it. But it doesnt stress the internals as hard because you dont have to run as much boost to make the same power.
    Most people like running no more than 9:1 with a turbo, Because it gives them a better bracket for tuning, Vs mine I have to be dead on and not off much or I can kill it quick, But in the end with a good tune and lower boost PSI I still make the same power, And I can raise the boost more to make even better power, Plus it makes for a better bottom end, The RB has lots of torque anyways. Prob not everyone's option of choice but Isnt everyone unique about there build?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I see what you are say, but you cant really compare losing power from a lower comp ratio to being able to up the boost. If you went form 9 to1 to 9 to 8 you probably picked up 25rwhp maybe, but if you have 9 to 1 you can run more boost alot more than 25rwhp worth. But i see what you are saying about everyone has there own setup. I know a guy running 15psi on a 86mm trim hybrid turbo on stock ls1 comp ratio. Just needs a good tune, i see people run that on 8.5 to 1 ls1s and dont make as much power as him. My supra has a 9 to 1 thats the only reason i ask.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Well the way it was explained to me is the more boost you have to force the harder it beats and bangs your bearings, So in order to not run as much boost for more power you raise the compression, But then you get into alot of tuning issues while doing this. I didnt do it to gain alot of power, More or less to just save my internals as much as possible because its going to be run hard multiple times. I am experimenting on a few things with my local machine shop due to this is such a rare engine where I live, So far its doing great.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah i do all my own work, noone aroudn here know much about the 7mgte, there are all like if its a 2jz i can work on it. The shops aroudn here charge alot to work on a motor they dont know.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Yes they do!!!! They charge a ton if you let them. The thing with this shop is they were willing to learn something new about something they knew nothing about and I wanted to learn to so we put our heads together and facts and came out with what I have now, I built the motor myself they just did all the necessary machine work I needed. I like a machine shop thats willing to give a little to receive a little, Makes you feel a little more at eas... I dont know anything much about 7mgte, Have never worked on one. But if I had one I would find out. Most people are scared to work on something they know nothing about, I say give it to me and Ill figure it out somehow. It all works the same but with different combinations.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Lol i know how, i have rebuilt it 3 tiems now, motor is out and awaiting the 4th rebuild. First time i made 357rwhp, second 389rwhp, the 3rd i had 517rwhp, and now the 4th we are hoping for 650rwhp or so. The turbo with that motor has seen numbers of over 850rwhp. Now it takes me and my friend tony under 3 hours to pull the engine/tranny and strip it down to a short block lol.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

anymore pics of the car it looks pretty good

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Im getting a build up site ready from start to finish on it. Might be a few more days before I get it finished but Ill post the link when I get it done.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Some of the pictures I put together of the build. Slide show links.
    http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=6255dbba.pbw
    http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=9bcd09db.pbw

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    why is 9 to 8 better for the internals then 9 to 1?
    I thought all compression ratios were a number to 1.
    Example like 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 or 8.5:1
    I have never heard or a ration being any other number than one on the end.
    But hey you learn something new evey day.

Unless you mean 9.8:1. In that case, ignore my post and Im stupid. LOL

Also good 1/8 th mile numbers.

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

nice car. seems like you did your home work and built a nice ride.
    kid @ work has a 240 w/ a skylie engine his DADDY bought him.
    what a little D_ck. i would race him but from what i've seen as he left the plant i don't want to be on the road w/ him. 500hp and a 18yr old prick are a bad combo. don't get me wrong hes got a nice car, just a bad driver.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    I thought all compression ratios were a number to 1.
    Example like 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 or 8.5:1
    I have never heard or a ration being any other number than one on the end.
    But hey you learn something new evey day.

Unless you mean 9.8:1. In that case, ignore my post and Im stupid. LOL

Also good 1/8 th mile numbers.
    Ya Its 9:8:1 I assumed everyone knew that, My bad, Thanks im working on getting it out of the hole, It seems to wanna bog on the launch a little, So after my 2 step install and a few more little upgrades hope to be in high to low 6's

[/QUOTE]nice car. seems like you did your home work and built a nice ride.
    kid @ work has a 240 w/ a skylie engine his DADDY bought him.
    what a little D_ck. i would race him but from what i've seen as he left the plant i don't want to be on the road w/ him. 500hp and a 18yr old prick are a bad combo. don't get me wrong hes got a nice car, just a bad driver.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Its been an on going 4 year project, Money stays tight as with any build, The 240 with a good suspension setup is the best handling car I have drove in the RWD car. But with a bad driver and lots of power = Death. I Cant stand daddy bought cars, I like the fact that I started from scratch, This car was crashed when I got it, So it went from frame machine to power machine, with tons of man hours,

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Nice transformation. Good work.

Thread Information