Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Put bus lengths on a New Supercharged Saleen Gt

Went to Desert Demons last Friday got a race with a new Gt mustang with the Saleen supercharger package. Just put gears, slicks and suspension on my 98 Z28 other than that just free mods, lid, bellows and a few tranny mods. Anyways like the title says we lined up and I left off the rev limiter at 6100 rpm and smoked him so bad it must have been embarressing for him in that saleen. I literally put bus lengths on him. There was also a 2004 Cobra with upper and lower pulleys, full exaust, intake, front mount intercooler, drag radials, ssr racing wheels and tune and who knows what else. Anyways we lined up and I left him by a car and a half from a dig launching at 6100 again. I got sideways in third cause of low tire pressure and stayed in it though but he ended up making up some ground and got me by a fender only on the top end. Was a good race. I came back and ran again the next pass and kept it straight despite low tire pressure on my slicks and ran faster than the cobra did all night. Seriously though with all that on that cobra and with me almost stock and naturally aspirated I thought he would be able to kill me bad, but my car is running really good and has a sick launch. I'm not impressed at all with the supercharged cobras even with mods cause they suck for being blown and barely can outrun a mild free mod and bolt on camaro. Plus before you cobra guys start crying I've raced three other more stock terminator cobras before my mods and was trading off a few wins and a few losses. Sorry no video guys especially for the nay sayers that will probably be ford owners who have lost there way from svo.com. But sorry guys I only tell it how it is. Peace

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I was full bolt-on, 4.10's, and cam and put one of those new supercharged saleen in the rear view by bus lengths too. I thought they would run harder than that too.

The only real competition I have ever run into were modded 03-04 Cobras, a couple fox body mustangs, and an M3.

I loved whuppin' the 03's the best though.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I cant believe you are launching at 6100 rpm thats gotta be hard on stuff

LOL, ya when I read that it put shivers down my body,,,,on a nearly stock 4th gen it just makes me cringe. That 10 bolt is not long for this world.
    Interesting races though,,,wish I could race,,,still snowing here. Larry.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

With his mods, the driver mod was highly necessary to put a well modified 03 in the rear view.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

i see a broken 10 bolt and a twisted driveshaft in the future lol

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

His future is my present. Damn GM for making me spend 2.5K in a rear end!

Im sorry but your car with just bolt ons is not going to hang or even come close with an 03-04 Cobra with those mods. You would be down well over 100 hp to the Cobra. The Saleen Gt sounded like one of those over rated POS Saleen cars that barely put down 300rwhp.

Now if you are blown like your user title shows, then by all means , you should be pulling on them.

Blue
    04 Mach 1

with all that you never mentioned an et!!!
    what does your car run?
    the thing about those new saleens is that they have anchors on all four courners!!!!! Plus they are always overrated. I have ye to to run any new ones but all the pre-05 style i have ran i have beat.
    Nice kills.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang View Post
    what does your car run?
    the thing about those new saleens is that they have anchors on all four courners!!!!! Plus they are always overrated. I have ye to to run any new ones but all the pre-05 style i have ran i have beat.
    Nice kills.
    Thanks man! At sea level my camaro runs low 12's but at desert demons it's a non prepped track with sand and a dip and at 4000 ft altitude. It's a street race style track with a pro tree and no mph,60 ft,or 8th recorders just quarter mile. It's really a slow track but really fun heads up style races with wild traction limited runs. At that track in el paso my car runs high 12's low 13's about a second slower than my sea level runs in louisiana. I had to drop a second with gears and bolt ons out here just to match my previous stock sea level runs. The O4 cobra was running a partially traction limited 13.2 on drag radials with his mods, keep in mind however that is an altitude corrected 12.3 approximately for the cobra. Most stock fbodys out here run low 14's to high 13's, cobras run around mid to high 13's at this altitude stock which is congruent with there 12' second sea level capability stock. But yea that new saleen was disapointing I left him like he was sitting still. The cobra was fast but I thought he would have been faster with pulley, tune, front mount intercooler, exaust and drag radials. Good races though.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 02-13-2007 at 11:04 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    Im sorry but your car with just bolt ons is not going to hang or even come close with an 03-04 Cobra with those mods. You would be down well over 100 hp to the Cobra. The Saleen Gt sounded like one of those over rated POS Saleen cars that barely put down 300rwhp.

Now if you are blown like your user title shows, then by all means , you should be pulling on them.
    It's my 89 camaro thats blown not the ls1. My ls1 camaro only has smooth bellows, mti lid, 3.73 gears, poly trans mount, z06 clutch, hotchkis tubular panhard and lca's, 26x8 phoenix slicks, a 100 pound weight reduction and free mods, which consists of free ram air, hand ported polished throttle body, muffler delete, tb coolant bypass, egr mod and maf descreen. Honestly I thought that cobra would pull me hard but it just didn't happen brotha. Keep in mind my car is a low 12 second car with a 60 foot time in the 1.5 to 1.6 range leaving at 6100 on the wood. With the motor all stock it's a very potent combination for what it is. I was running with cobras when I was completely stock by the way, but yea on average you would probably be right but my car has a few of the right mods and the ls1's make decent power stock. It's not always about having the most power but if you can put it to the ground plus i'm clearly lighter than the cobra. On a roll race the cobra could have shined and shown his horsepower, but it was the drags not the freeway, no excuses there if you think about it, thats what this is about is goin to the track and puttin up or shuttin up and I love to race even if it means breakin something. My 60 foot time is really nasty for a mostly stock street car which is a factor, but good concern for the validity of the situation, sorry no video that would explain everything without words. Those cobras are pretty damn fast though to the credit of ford, I just thought they should be faster for blown, but its run what you brung and they are what they are.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 02-13-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    i see a broken 10 bolt and a twisted driveshaft in the future lol

yea i'm workin on my third rear end right now with 91,000 miles on the clock, not to bad. I have a ford 9 inch with 4.56 posi sitting in my shop right now getting ready to go in soon. I'm not to worried bout breakin the rear end cause I specialize in building custom motors and rear ends also at my shop so if I break something i'll just fix it myself.

I'll tell you what though it's nasty leaving at 6100 the car left so hard they said it looked like it wanted to pull the wheels and the slicks wrinkled hard enough to almost let the rim touch the ground. Thats not bad for just mostly stock. My launch is so good that it takes people some good horsepower if they plan on running me down. I didn't get beat at the line all nite.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    LOL, ya when I read that it put shivers down my body,,,,on a nearly stock 4th gen it just makes me cringe. That 10 bolt is not long for this world.
    Interesting races though,,,wish I could race,,,still snowing here. Larry.
    Yea I was giving it hell thats for sure. It sounds sick just leaving off the limiter. It felt suprisingly good though, it's like being launched from a catapult. It's the gears, suspension, weight reduction, light small slicks and z06 clutch that allow me to leave like that though without slipping the clutch or really breakin much it's really cool. If I try to run a bigger slick on the car the limitations of the clutch become apparent but with the small light slicks it's perfect cause less rotational mass plus you can spin them a little if you need to by increasing tire pressure. I chose my mods real carefully cause im on a budget, but it's amazing what you can do with right combination and if you can put your power down.
    Plus yea we are lucky here in New Mexico cause we can race year round. The air sucks out here though cause the altitude makes it weak so runs are slower out here. You just have to do more to go fast here so its a trade off. Wish I was racing in louisiana, I always post my fastest time there at no problem raceway with the good dense air. Peace
    Jesse
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 02-13-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    With his mods, the driver mod was highly necessary to put a well modified 03 in the rear view.
    Oh yea for sure. It was awesome, I jumped out on him instantly by at least 1.5 cars from a dig. The car launches nasty on the limiter.
    However to the credit of the cobra and beloved mustang owners i'm sure that cobra would get me in a roll race, the advantage really goes to me from a dig with my launch, but hey it's run what you brung and I couldn't afford a supercharger, intercooler, and tune like him but it just so happens that with my simple mods, plus being a gm my car runs pretty decent. All's fair in love, war and racin!
    Peace guys
    Jesse

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I have a 100 wet shot that im installing this week. Plus I have pacesetter long tubes, with off road y and sims in the mail right now. Test and Tune is Sunday at arroyo seco so im shootin to run on the jug with the headers and get some solid 11's out of the car even at this weak altitude in NM. The juice should really wake it up cause the air is so thin out here my car is starving for density. Hopefully we should have a camara out this weekend so I'll let you guys know how it goes. I was so hurt that I didn't have a camara last friday it would have been sweet to have those mustang races on vid.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

what does your car run?
    Nice kills.
    Yea you probably would beat them those 20's really hurt, there was a couple pretty nice mach's out there also that were running pretty decent, you would have appreciated it being a mach owner, there was actually a large mustang showing with a whole line of fox bodies, machs, gt, and cobras. It was pretty cool to see some comp out there from the muscle car camp, even though im a gm fan it was cool. There was also lots of nice fast gm's late model and older, plus some decently fast turbocharged import affairs out ther as well, good times.
    Jesse
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 02-13-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    It's my 89 camaro thats blown not the ls1. My ls1 camaro only has smooth bellows, mti lid, 3.73 gears, poly trans mount, z06 clutch, hotchkis tubular panhard and lca's, 26x8 phoenix slicks, a 100 pound weight reduction and free mods, which consists of free ram air, hand ported polished throttle body, muffler delete, tb coolant bypass, egr mod and maf descreen. Honestly I thought that cobra would pull me hard but it just didn't happen brotha. Keep in mind my car is a low 12 second car with a 60 foot time in the 1.5 to 1.6 range leaving at 6100 on the wood. With the motor all stock it's a very potent combination for what it is. I was running with cobras when I was completely stock by the way, but yea on average you would probably be right but my car has a few of the right mods and the ls1's make decent power stock. It's not always about having the most power but if you can put it to the ground plus i'm clearly lighter than the cobra. On a roll race the cobra could have shined and shown his horsepower, but it was the drags not the freeway, no excuses there if you think about it, thats what this is about is goin to the track and puttin up or shuttin up and I love to race even if it means breakin something. My 60 foot time is really nasty for a mostly stock street car which is a factor, but good concern for the validity of the situation, sorry no video that would explain everything without words. Those cobras are pretty damn fast though to the credit of ford, I just thought they should be faster for blown, but its run what you brung and they are what they are.
    I got a little of that "you are lying" from the Ford crowd on here after I embarrassed a Steigmeyer ported black 03 a dragstrip party one Saturday night. He said his clutch was slipping, and it sure smelled like it at the other end of the drag. But, I was the first one to trip the lights, and that is ALL THAT MATTERS.

I was side by side with an absolutely wicked sounding pullied red 03 up to 140 three times in a row, and this is what I got from Ford guys...

"surprised you hung"
    "bs"
    "not buying it"

Whatever, like they were there. I got a lot better things to do than post a fantasy world race, so those comments are really irritating.

RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG!

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    Its just odd, that cobra with those mods should be able to hit high 11's low 12s with Drs.

Trust me, I love weight reduction. My car is a perfect example . fuck those cast iron blocks

Blue
    04 Mach 1

hey roastem, i would love to see you at rockingham sometime, maybe we should try to meet up there again. This time i think i will be running mid to low 11s. D1sc on the way!!!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

hey roastem, i would love to see you at rockingham sometime, maybe we should try to meet up there again. This time i think i will be running mid to low 11s. D1sc on the way!!!
    Dude, you are getting a procharger! SWEET!

I haven't run her down the 1/4 mile yet, but from my 1/8 time I think it is gonna be mid-11 second. So, after you the procharger installed, we are prolly gonna be neck and neck.

I am trying to sell my custom truck to raise enough money for a new rear end. Hell, she has been sitting comatose since early December. After that, my drivetrain will be virtually bulletproof.

I will see you in Rockingham my friend, trust and believe.

One thing though, you gotta to let me ride in that Mach after you get the charger installed.

Thread Information