Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

new respect for 300z twin turbo

OK this isn't a kill story, it's a death story. And I was driving my 01 Cobra, and not my 02 WS6. But I like talking to you guys better than the Mustang guys so here I am...

I was on a 1-lane stretch of road, had a white 300zx twin turbo behind me. I could tell that the guy was having fun, and if given the chance would like to fly past me. Well a bit later we hit a red light. I am in first position, he is still behind me. Past the light, the 1 lane opens into 2 lanes. Sure enough, as we cross the light he pulls up next to me, flashes me a look, and floors it. I was ready for it, but he still kicked my ass. We went from about 30 to about 80 and he pulled almost 2 car lengths on me.

I've never really watched/heard one of them go full out. It sounded sweet, nice turbo sounds, not like a riced out civic or anything. And I was certainly impressed with the view of his rear bumper. I knew they were fast, but are they really that fast? Or do I just not know how to drive??

Anyway, he slowed down at the next light and I pulled up next to him. He was a gracious winner, I complimented his ride, he did the same, light changed and he turned while I went straight so I had no chance at a rematch. All in all, it was a fun 10 seconds or so...
    Last edited by Schmalgar; 07-26-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: correcting the typos I just saw

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I'm sure it was modded, but not sure how much. Stock vs Stock you would have beat him.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i always liked the 300z TT's...

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    I'm sure it was modded, but not sure how much. Stock vs Stock you would have beat him.
    That makes me feel better

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    Stock vs stock it would be close but you would have the advantage. Bolt ons they can make 350-380whp.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

'01 Cobras are NA, right?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    '01 Cobras are NA, right?
    Yep, 305hp or some crap like that

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yep, 305hp or some crap like that
    yes NA, 320 hp, about the same tq. Rated about 5.4 on 0-60...

I think the Mach-1 is the 305 hp one...

I like 300ZXs that are set up like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post

Click for full size
    Nice passenger seat accessory, as well.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Yeah that car is just better all around.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Very nice. As with any factory FI car of the last 25 years, a 300ZX TT can go from decent to pretty quick with very little work.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    OK this isn't a kill story, it's a death story. And I was driving my 01 Cobra, and not my 02 WS6. But I like talking to you guys better than the Mustang guys so here I am...

I was on a 1-lane stretch of road, had a white 300zx twin turbo behind me. I could tell that the guy was having fun, and if given the chance would like to fly past me. Well a bit later we hit a red light. I am in first position, he is still behind me. Past the light, the 1 lane opens into 2 lanes. Sure enough, as we cross the light he pulls up next to me, flashes me a look, and floors it. I was ready for it, but he still kicked my ass. We went from about 30 to about 80 and he pulled almost 2 car lengths on me.

I've never really watched/heard one of them go full out. It sounded sweet, nice turbo sounds, not like a riced out civic or anything. And I was certainly impressed with the view of his rear bumper. I knew they were fast, but are they really that fast? Or do I just not know how to drive??

Anyway, he slowed down at the next light and I pulled up next to him. He was a gracious winner, I complimented his ride, he did the same, light changed and he turned while I went straight so I had no chance at a rematch. All in all, it was a fun 10 seconds or so...
    Nice story, to the point and not too long. Nice death, there is always someone faster, eh? I liked the look of those cars when they came out also.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

there is one that lives here..kinda of a friend i guess you can say rebuilt everything form ground up pushing 618hp...can figure out why he wnt race my 400hp trans am though? that car stays tore up though!

Arctic White, red/gray

They were cool cars and I love me some t-tops but the 2jz from toyota and RB from nissan were far better engines and they were its biggest competition. The 300zx, supra and skyline were all 40k+ sports cars but IMO the supra and skyline potential far exceeds the 300zx.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-28-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

Great, now you're just making me worried about the time I finally get to race my brother's TT 300zx.

I hope my TA can cut the mustard, though I really have no idea how much power his car is putting out since he's running aftermarket turbos and my car is still an N/A TA.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Click for full size
    THAT is not a 300zx anymore lol. It's a Datsun on steroids!

To the op, I think the 300 is a heavy car iirc, I think he had to @ least have had some work done to get over on you.. I don't recall them putting quite the Cobra numbers down stock..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-07-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Pretty sure they're 300ish hp from the factory. My cousin has had 2 and theyre definitely fast, fun little cars. I used to run all over his old car with just a catback and he swears this new one is like 600hp blah blah but for some reason it never "runs right" when I come around lol.. Nice death, at least it was in a Ford not the T/A haha

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    THAT is not a 300zx anymore lol. It's a Datsun on steroids!

To the op, I think the 300 is a heavy car iirc, I think he had to @ least have had some work done to get over on you.. I don't recall them putting quite the Cobra numbers down stock..
    They weigh in around 3400lbs.

With some bolt ons, upped boost, and an average tune they can easily get well into the 12s on the stock turbos. They can also make well over 300whp/300wtq on the stock turbos. A couple people have even gone 11s and 10s on the stock turbos\stock engine with lot's of boost, tuning, weight reduction, and seat time.

This is the average power output of a basic bolt ons 300ZX with tuning:

Last edited by Superluminal; 08-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

They weigh in around 3400lbs.

With some bolt ons, upped boost, and an average tune they can easily get well into the 12s on the stock turbos. They can also make well over 300whp/300wtq on the stock turbos. A couple people have even gone 11s and 10s on the stock turbos\stock engine with lot's of boost, tuning, weight reduction, and seat time.

This is the average power output of a bolt ons 300ZX with tuning:

Click for full size
    Yeah, I figured they could be turned up, but I did'nt know they could run with a Cobra.. Learn something new everyday.. The 300zx is a sweet car tho imho.. Especially the t-top cars..

Thread Information