Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Mustangs

FAS02SS

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

New Mustangs

I keep reading magazine articles about the new Mustangs that show quicker
    0-60 times than I'd expect from a car so heavy. I have an 02 M6 SS w/a few mods (4.11's, catback, lid, tune) and while I don't street race very often I'd expect to smoke any new GT or Shelby. Has anybody run a newer Mustang and how close was it?? My car should have picked up @ 25hp/ft/lbs over stock at the flywheel which should be enough to whip a new GT.

With those mods a stock GT shouldnt be a problem for you. Now the Shelby Cobra will own you pretty badly. The Shelby GT on the other hand might put up more of a fight but the gears you have should have you pulling ahead with zero problems.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have beaten them if your both stick and both drive well the T/A will win but if your not as good as him it can be close.

Will the 4.11 and the tune you it sould be easy i beat them often im a m6 with headers catback and a lid.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    With those mods a stock GT shouldnt be a problem for you. Now the Shelby Cobra will own you pretty badly. The Shelby GT on the other hand might put up more of a fight but the gears you have should have you pulling ahead with zero problems.
    shelby cobra? you mean the shelby gt500? so what is the shelby cobra and the shelby gt. this doesnt make sense......

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    shelby cobra? you mean the shelby gt500? so what is the shelby cobra and the shelby gt. this doesnt make sense......
    Yes I think he means the Shelby GT 500 but I can see some being confused about the name since there is a Cobra emblem on the grill and sides of the car. The Shelby GT is 325 HP Shelby package on the Mustang GT not sure what is all added but I believe the price when way up lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I had the same questions when I pulled beside a Mustang yesterday that was decked out with Shelby decals, different rims, different taillights, different ground effects package, etc. I got a chance to play around with him in 3rd and 4th gear on the highway and pulled on him about a car length without having too much trouble. I instantly realized by his performance and the fact that there was nothing even remotely impressive about the exhaust tone that it wasn't the Shelby GT500....if it was, the race would've yielded a much different result!

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

All N/A 4.6 M5 Mustangs come with a very short 1st gear (~3.35). Compare that to an F-body M6 1st gear (2.66), and you start to see why they can be quite quick off the line, and still do ok in 2nd (1.99 vs 1.78). It is when both the 4.6 & the LS1 get into third and their gear ratios are essentially even that the superior power of the LS1 really begins to shine.

IMHO, this is also why LS1 folks often comment on how well their cars pull in 3rd....to wit....compared to their main rival, the Mustang, they certainly do.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Not just on our rival the mustang I raced my friedns EVO and my other friends WRX and pulled there cars, i started in 3rd it was a freeway race.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

I didnt even realize they made a Shelby GT..... The GT500 well, that will tear open almost anybodies ass on the HWY. You wanna keep up w/ them you better be runnin 11s......

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

the gt500's are tanks. They weigh like 4000lbs.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i ran an '06 gt when i had a flowmaster, cutout, ram/coldair from a 75 punch. i still have stock gears and i pulled by him madly. you shouldnt have a problem
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    the gt500's are tanks. They weigh like 4000lbs.
    Not quite and whats your point? Try one on the hwy, I want to laugh at you when you come back crying after you get

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    Not quite and whats your point? Try one on the hwy, I want to laugh at you when you come back crying after you get
    +1^
    they are heavy. but with 8 pounds of boost the roll is gonna be lethal.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Shelby ass smacks new vette......

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=100_2141.flv

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

GT500s are quite heavy - 3920 lbs w/o driver.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    GT500s are quite heavy - 3920 lbs w/o driver.
    He he, ok..... Weight is everything then! As if the video of that GT500 ass fockin that C6 in the 1/8th wasnt enough!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    He he, ok..... Weight is everything then! As if the video of that GT500 ass fockin that C6 in the 1/8th wasnt enough!
    well it was just a normal c6. how bout a z06.

the gt500 is the top model mustang beating the base model corvette....

Electron Blue
    2002 EB Z06

you really talk a lot of crap for being on an ls1 site with an suv and are you not able to see all of the numbers and runs that have been made between the gt500 and the c6, the c6 is .2 faster in 60 time, the gt5 is around .3 faster in quarter, but 0 to 150 the vettes owning it by 3.5 seconds and just goes from there to out perform in almost everything else. and that's not the top of the line vette either. the stangs also boostin' just to get there and has like 95 more horse and still isn't doin' the things c6's can do. there is a few thousand dollars difference though in favor of the stang, you should check the numbers out again, you'll see the vette is just superior.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nomorefords View Post
    you really talk a lot of crap for being on an ls1 site with an suv and are you not able to see all of the numbers and runs that have been made between the gt500 and the c6, the c6 is .2 faster in 60 time, the gt5 is around .3 faster in quarter, but 0 to 150 the vettes owning it by 3.5 seconds and just goes from there to out perform in almost everything else. and that's not the top of the line vette either. the stangs also boostin' just to get there and has like 95 more horse and still isn't doin' the things c6's can do. there is a few thousand dollars difference though in favor of the stang, you should check the numbers out again, you'll see the vette is just superior.
    your right on it

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by nomorefords View Post
    Ha ha, I never said any different. And pull your head outta your ass for a second to respect other cars regardless of the make, as your handle obviously shows you dont. While I'm a die hard chevy fan and totally agree w/ you that ford has to put a power adder on to keep up w/ chevy's N/A motor, its still a bad ass ride that commands respect. Also, I'm not sure where you got your numbers but I dont follow numbers. I watch the races and make judgements on that. Granted, both vehicles are bad ass, the Z06 most certainly takin the gold, but that was not the arguement. The arguement was a shitty comment being made about a bad ass car and chevy guys downing a bad ass ride just because its a mustang. Power adder or not, watching a bone stock one go 11.8 is nothing short of impressive!

Now to your other jackass comment, so what if I got a SUV and I'm on a LS1 forum. Last I checked there were a lot of LS2 guys on here along with ricers and mustang guys. More so than any other forum I've ever been on so how are you gonna come at me like that? I do have a LSX motor Chief..... Or maybe you're just mad that my SUV could hang/take you on the street? Don't tell me I talk a lot of crap when bolt on LS1s are talkin about takin the GT500 because its heavy
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Thread Information