Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

My 69 Vette vs. WRX

I was out cruising in my stock 427/390hp 69 Vette on Sunday. I'd just gotten it back from my mechanic who had just gotten the secondaries on the QuadraJet carb working. I was on a main street that's six lanes wide (three each way) and there was a blacked out Subaru Impreza, without emblems or a wing, getting kind of snarky with my old Shark at stoplights. Finally came up along side each other and we rolled off the green light with him about half a fender ahead of me. As I accelerated, so did he. I punched it in first gear and he did the same. The Impreza, that had that mail slot air scoop on the hood, jumped out to a half car lead and I couldn't close it. When I shifted to second I shut down and slid in behind him to make a right turn. I could see the blacked out WRX emblem on the lower right hand side of the trunk. I didn't like get getting beat by a rice rocket but, at the end of the day, I still have a classic Vette and he still has a little Japanese sedan. I wonder how many admiring passers by he has coming up to him in parking lots or how many thumbs up he gets from people in passing cars. Yeah, I know, sour grapes, but I wouldn't have expected to beat him anyway. I do know that my 00 Z28 would have beaten him if my Vette was even in the race. The LS1 is a bunch stronger than the Vette's big block.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

yeah, you are cooler than him. now dont beat on that classic muscle anymore.....would want to put sucha sweet car out of commission

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegrizzle View Post
    yeah, you are cooler than him. now dont beat on that classic muscle anymore.....would want to put sucha sweet car out of commission
    shut it! take that classic car and drive it like it should be. I can't stand people who pussy foot around in a bad ass car.

You gotta know your competition, that WRX's sweet spot starts at a dig and goes until 45 or 50. by then his AWD can't spin any harder and you'd pass him. Got of your car?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I don't have a picture of the car to post since I'm a relative computer nebbish and I don't have a site to host it. The car is LeMans Blue with a black interior and the stock rallye wheels. It has a Muncie M21 close ratio 4 speed and a 3.36 rear end. It has just under 71K original miles on it. Actually, I probably won't be running the old beast too hard because I bought it as an investiment about 18 months ago and I don't want to hurt the investment. I do agree that you should drive the oldies like they were intended, however. I have a 69 Mustang convertible that I've taken to the drag strip several times. She's a show winner but I figure anything I break, I can fix. I've had that car for eight years and restored it myself. It started out as a solid 16 second car (302/2V,C4,2.79 gears) and has now run a best of 14.308 @ 99.1 mph (308(.040 over)/4V,C4,3.55 gears). That puts me right in there with the stock 2 valve 99-04 Mustang GT's and faster than the 93-98 GT's.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by RagTop View Post
    I don't have a picture of the car to post since I'm a relative computer nebbish and I don't have a site to host it. The car is LeMans Blue with a black interior and the stock rallye wheels. It has a Muncie M21 close ratio 4 speed and a 3.36 rear end. It has just under 71K original miles on it. Actually, I probably won't be running the old beast too hard because I bought it as an investiment about 18 months ago and I don't want to hurt the investment. I do agree that you should drive the oldies like they were intended, however. I have a 69 Mustang convertible that I've taken to the drag strip several times. She's a show winner but I figure anything I break, I can fix. I've had that car for eight years and restored it myself. It started out as a solid 16 second car (302/2V,C4,2.79 gears) and has now run a best of 14.308 @ 99.1 mph (308(.040 over)/4V,C4,3.55 gears). That puts me right in there with the stock 2 valve 99-04 Mustang GT's and faster than the 93-98 GT's.

http://www.photobucket.com its a good place to host pics.

From the sound of it its gotta be a nice car!!
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    shut it! take that classic car and drive it like it should be. I can't stand people who pussy foot around in a bad ass car.

You gotta know your competition, that WRX's sweet spot starts at a dig and goes until 45 or 50. by then his AWD can't spin any harder and you'd pass him. Got of your car?
    hmmm..... could have sowrn he said something about an investment.......
    if you have a old maro or t/a beat on it. if you have an old high dollar classic vette....don't

either way sweet car!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

When I had my v6 2000 camaro I just had a big passion for F-bodies and later I sold it and got an SS which I used to and still, greatly admire! Now when I'm driving my car it feels great to have like twice as much power and speed, but I never settle to think that I'm driving an SS...

What I mean is I play with it almost every time I get! hahaha I don't get too crazy but when you've got a car like this and you love to drive it just doesn't seem logical to me to baby it. I do understand the investment idea though... That's money you're playing with... When it's your toy, you're having a party...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Here's the investment part. The car has been professionally appraised at $35K and one of the big auction houses to whom I sent digital photos estimated they could get "in the low sixties" for it at auction. The guy I bought it from sold it to me for $20K. That's why it's an investment and that's why I don't want to beat it. I have a 2000 Z28 that is much more fun to get into anyway.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

that's cool!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

the ss I have now is rare as hell too, 1 of 74 or less with all the options it has. That's kinda why I want another SS vert maybe an 01 and mod the heck out of it instead of this one.

2002 TA

14.3? With a 99mph trap you should be capable of mid 13's...

Impounded
    The sad thing is the WRX wasent even an STi but your car is a classic so who cares if its fast.

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    by then his AWD can't spin any harder and you'd pass him.

Read that back to yourself and tell me that makes sense.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Read that back to yourself and tell me that makes sense.
    hahaha, zing!

2000pontiac6
    I thought all wrx's come with the spoiler tho?

STi's come with a high spoiler and WRXs come with a low flip wing, but I think its an option on the regular WRX for a wing. When modified aesthetically, its pretty hard to tell the difference between a regular WRX and an STi.

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    STi's come with a high spoiler and WRXs come with a low flip wing, but I think its an option on the regular WRX for a wing. When modified aesthetically, its pretty hard to tell the difference between a regular WRX and an STi.
    I was thinking that maybe it was just an impreza with a hood scoop added because i didnt think wrx's they came without spoilers. But then i would think the vette would have done better

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    When I had my v6 2000 camaro I just had a big passion for F-bodies and later I sold it and got an SS which I used to and still, greatly admire! Now when I'm driving my car it feels great to have like twice as much power and speed, but I never settle to think that I'm driving an SS...

What I mean is I play with it almost every time I get! hahaha I don't get too crazy but when you've got a car like this and you love to drive it just doesn't seem logical to me to baby it. I do understand the investment idea though... That's money you're playing with... When it's your toy, you're having a party...
    Every day I leave my house I keep a check on my rear view mirror just waiting for the next driver to come get some of my LS1

Thread Information