Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White CAMARO SS # 846

My 2001 CAMARO SS VS 1998 TOYOTA SUPRA,who win's??

Hi guys

One of my brother's friends having 1998 toyota supra (stock as he claim) imported from USA so it will be around 320HP,3.0L and 6cylinders,not to mention dealers 2j engine

he wants to race with me,my Maro having K&N FILTER and HOOSIER SEMI-SLICKS,the rest is stock

so what u guys think?? if we race who will win?? i just want ur opnion's

THANX,Hazim

Quote Originally Posted by Munz8 View Post
    Hi guys

One of my brother's friends having 1998 toyota supra (stock as he claim) imported from USA so it will be around 320HP,3.0L and 6cylinders,not to mention dealers 2j engine

he wants to race with me,my Maro having K&N FILTER and HOOSIER SEMI-SLICKS,the rest is stock

so what u guys think?? if we race who will win?? i just want ur opnion's

THANX,Hazim
    If it's a turbo model, they can run anywhere in the 13s within stock form. Should be a good race. Anything beyond stock and you're going to be hurt. I vouch for you though since you're running semi-slicks.

silver
    2002 ws6

if he's actually stock you'll win. but if it's modded look out.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive raced 2 bone stock and it was a easy pull, i raced one that had downpipe, intake and what he told me he took off the hose from the WG and i saw myself he was peaking at 17psi and dropped down to 15 between shifts, auto tranny. I think stock form they run 11.5psi of boost. He was only able to keep up with my 01 SS M6 with exhuast and intake mods. So if its stock you should have no issues pulling on one.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

good luck and take vids!!!

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Got some good info for you. Have an one of my old car and driver magazines from March 1997. With the 0-60 and 1/4 tome specs. The 97 Supra twin-turbo w/ the 6 speed hits 60 in 4.8 seconds, quarter mile time of 13.4@107mph. The auto was noticeably slower though... 0-60 of 5.3, 1/4 mile time 13.7@105. All new stock cars at the time. These times should be fairly close to the 98 Supras, as both cars had the 320 hp engines, although it's possible the 98's may have had a different weight than the 97's, still doubt the difference would be marginal. Assuming the Supra isn't beat to hell drivetrain wise, and the driver does'nt suck, you'll probably have a tough time taking a 6-speed Supra, with a stock SS...the automatic should be a cakewalk though...especially in the quartermile time.
    I've also heard (from GrandNational owners), temperature really effects how well turbos perform, not sure if true or not...I'm sure some turbo owner could shed better light than me.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    Got some good info for you. Have an one of my old car and driver magazines from March 1997. With the 0-60 and 1/4 tome specs. The 97 Supra twin-turbo w/ the 6 speed hits 60 in 4.8 seconds, quarter mile time of 13.4@107mph. The auto was noticeably slower though... 0-60 of 5.3, 1/4 mile time 13.7@105. All new stock cars at the time. These times should be fairly close to the 98 Supras, as both cars had the 320 hp engines, although it's possible the 98's may have had a different weight than the 97's, still doubt the difference would be marginal. Assuming the Supra isn't beat to hell drivetrain wise, and the driver does'nt suck, you'll probably have a tough time taking a 6-speed Supra, with a stock SS...the automatic should be a cakewalk though...especially in the quartermile time.
    I've also heard (from GrandNational owners), temperature really effects how well turbos perform, not sure if true or not...I'm sure some turbo owner could shed better light than me.
    I used to have an 87 Single turbo supra as well as a Mitsubishi Starion GSR(both turbo cars) and it did seem that the car felt a LOT faster when it was cold out. Then again, the GTO felt the same way before I did the heat sink mod and put a 160 T-Stat in it.

A turbocharger works by compressing air into the combustion chamber. The colder the air, the denser it is. The denser the air, the easier it is to compress. Which in turn gives a faster spool, and more efficiency. So basically, cool temperatures suit turbocharged vehicles very well. There is a noticeable difference in power output when the air is cooler.

This is also the job of the intercooler, to cool the air charge. But in hot humid conditions, even a nice front mounted unit will get heat soaked. I've seen a drop in up to 10mph off my trap speed due to the hot humid Florida climate. Sometimes I would drop a bag of ice on it before each run to remedy the problem.

White
    '02 Formula A4

I raced a stock one with my stock Formula nd pulled it hard. The owner which is a good friend of mine then did exhaust, intake and FMIC which is considered BPU and I still pulled him decently from a dig and a 25 roll, surpirised the hell out of me. The following weekend me and another friend took him out one night and my friend rode with him and we taught him how to launch and shift, lol.

White CAMARO SS # 846

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    If it's a turbo model, they can run anywhere in the 13s within stock form. Should be a good race. Anything beyond stock and you're going to be hurt. I vouch for you though since you're running semi-slicks.
    so it's fast then!! I hope camaro runs some time or less then that since its an SS.

It's a turbo model,I'm feeling bit comfortable cauz of the semi-slick's i've.

thanx 4 the comment

White CAMARO SS # 846

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    if he's actually stock you'll win. but if it's modded look out.

ur right bro,no worries,i'll do my best ^_*

White CAMARO SS # 846

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive raced 2 bone stock and it was a easy pull, i raced one that had downpipe, intake and what he told me he took off the hose from the WG and i saw myself he was peaking at 17psi and dropped down to 15 between shifts, auto tranny. I think stock form they run 11.5psi of boost. He was only able to keep up with my 01 SS M6 with exhuast and intake mods. So if its stock you should have no issues pulling on one.
    I c,but the 1 im racing is 6 speed manual!! and im racing with all stock engine

thanx 4 sharing info ^_^

White CAMARO SS # 846

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    good luck and take vids!!!

I will, thank u

White CAMARO SS # 846

thanx 4 ur time to post such useable info,i'm happy 4 ur replay

since he has 6 speed manual tranny i guess i'll be difficult race with him,the weather is hot during this time of year,36-38 celsius at the evening time!!

thanx agian ^_^

White CAMARO SS # 846

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I used to have an 87 Single turbo supra as well as a Mitsubishi Starion GSR(both turbo cars) and it did seem that the car felt a LOT faster when it was cold out. Then again, the GTO felt the same way before I did the heat sink mod and put a 160 T-Stat in it.

thanx bro

White CAMARO SS # 846

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    A turbocharger works by compressing air into the combustion chamber. The colder the air, the denser it is. The denser the air, the easier it is to compress. Which in turn gives a faster spool, and more efficiency. So basically, cool temperatures suit turbocharged vehicles very well. There is a noticeable difference in power output when the air is cooler.

This is also the job of the intercooler, to cool the air charge. But in hot humid conditions, even a nice front mounted unit will get heat soaked. I've seen a drop in up to 10mph off my trap speed due to the hot humid Florida climate. Sometimes I would drop a bag of ice on it before each run to remedy the
    problem.
    thanx 4 the comment

White CAMARO SS # 846

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLS1 View Post
    I raced a stock one with my stock Formula nd pulled it hard. The owner which is a good friend of mine then did exhaust, intake and FMIC which is considered BPU and I still pulled him decently from a dig and a 25 roll, surpirised the hell out of me. The following weekend me and another friend took him out one night and my friend rode with him and we taught him how to launch and shift, lol.

So it will b tafe race isnt it?? i'll do my best agianst it

BPU=Basic Performance Upgrade

THANX 4 REPLAY BROTHER

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by Munz8 View Post
    So it will b tafe race isnt it?? i'll do my best agianst it

BPU=Basic Performance Upgrade

THANX 4 REPLAY BROTHER
    Definitly a safe race man. Post a video of it.

BPU=Basic Power or Performence Upgrade

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Should be fun, i think you will win if it really is boen stock. Supras arent the easiest cars to launch. with drag radials you should pick up 2 cars by the tops of two, if you do the race should be over and you should just keep pulling since the stock 2jz is setup for low and mid range power.

Blue
    1999 Camaro Z-28

I think you will pull on the supra as well! Eat a ford and shit a supra

Thread Information