2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

My '00 Z28 vs. 94 GT

EDIT: My car 2000 Z28 109k - A4, Hardtop, LTs, ORY with cats re-installed, Borla, BMR PHB, and a twisted TA I need to replace
    94 GT 80k+ - T5, 3.55s, Magnaflow exhaust, B&M shifter, claimed that was it

So Saturday night, after my buddy and I left a pretty nice restaurant with our girlfriends here in town, we decided to come back to my house and get the camaro. I'd only had a couple beers, but since I rarely drink, I was pretty lit so my buddy drove the car. We ended up at a local Dairy Queen, and ran into a few people we used to see all the time "back in the day".

One had an 03/04 Terminator, that slate color, beautiful car with tinted windows The other was a 96-98, kind of bland grey, duno what it had but never heard anything about it the whole night. And another was a '99-'04 GT with some kind of aftermarket wheels, never spoken about. Then there was a white 94 GT with some really nice looking wheels, kind of reminded me of the CCWs on Preston's car, but didn't look as nice I originally came up there to see if there was another certain LS1 up there, a member on here who goes by the name of EVIL-LS1 Yep, that'd be Jimmy. My buddy had his number, called him said he wasn't running anymore till he puts gears in his car. So to make a long story short, a race got set up between the white mustang and the Z. Of course I offered to pop the hood, gave him the mods that are hardly mentionable (LTs, catted Y, Borla), and let them look for the nitrous that it DOES NOT have. I have no reason to lie, we were racing for fun, and everybody was real cool and seemed to be pretty honest. They said time and time again, its a stock 5.0L just real clean, only 80k+ miles with magnaflows, 3.55s, and a short shifter, so if you beat it, don't go bragging like it's something special

We head out to a road right out of town, with only one access, that has no traffic through it on late weekend nights. First race is from a dig on the mustangs 3 honks. On the 3rd honk, the mustang lights up the tires, as does the camaro. I can't tell you exactly what gear he caught traction in, but the camaro was fish-tailin' till almost 40mph, until the top of 1st when it caught traction. Mustang was loud as hell, and I could tell he had hooked by the time we went into second, us edging by maybe a fender. As the camaro shifted into 3rd, the mustang was at the rear 1/4 falling to the back bumper as both cars let out. Stock 5.0L with exhaust and gear sure does run pretty good... hmmm... Keep in mind, I'm riding passenger in my own car, so I'm able to pay attention to detail (the best I can anyways).

We get turned around, mustang wants to go from a 20mph roll. Ok, so neither one wanted to honk, I just hold my arm and point forward as to indicate the go ahead. The mustang gets the jump, shot out to where we were on his back bumper through 1st. Going into second we were gaining ground, but not very quickly. At the top of second, going into third, we had almost pulled even, as both cars let out. We get to the end of the road, and the driver of the mustang makes the comment, "That thing runs pretty good for a stock LS1, sure you're not spraying anything? I could smell something a little funny" He was cool, laughing and all, as we assured him nothing was being squeezed.

Get back to the group, called it 1-1 between the two cars. What I found a little odd, as I sat back and didn't talk too much, just kept my ears open was that Jimmy (EVIL-LS1), ran a 94/95 cammed 5.0L and lost due to traction issues (but was apparently coming up pretty hard by 80mph). This mustang clan had said that this white 94 GT that we just got done racing was faster than that green 94/95 cammed 5.0L. But it's stock with gear and exhaust? It's all good, I never asked him to pop the hood as I'm not too serious about the car right now until I get a few more suspension peices and DRs. Will be looking towards either the TRex or the Tsunami cam, have been researching both for the past 2 weeks. I'm leaning towards the TRex, but keep pondering the PTV clearance as I don't want to risk having any problems and going through the BS. From what I've heard, both cams love the dope, so I guess I'll keep reading up on both a little more. Anyways, always love hearing about the rivalry races, figured since I had one of my own last night, I'd post it up (even though both of these cars are slow).
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 03-21-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: cars and mods

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Yea that's a lil fishy u should beat him very easily. I really dout that is all he had.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It should have been a been a bad night in a prison cell for him. As long as it was fun

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Yeah, I figured they were hiding something just by the body language and moral right before we headed out to run, so I guess you could say I wasn't too surprised it was a close run. What caught my attention was how the other guy acted so surprised that he couldn't pull even in the first race, nor maintain any distance in the second race

"That thing runs pretty good for being stock... my cousin's stock LS1 doesn't even run that good"

I got a race car

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Nice kill. He had to be running better than stock though. Next time tell him to pop the hood.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Nice kill. He had to be running better than stock though. Next time tell him to pop the hood.
    Yeah, I'll be back up there. Right before we all left to go home, they told me to come out to the same spot Saturday evening so we can all get together again. Although he was holding back from mentioning other things, it was a good time. Mostly because I could tell he expected to pull me, and it didn't happen Guess we'll see what next weekend brings

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

Haha... Sounds like me and my friend... Only I have a 95 GT my buddy has a M6 2000 Z with cat back exhaust, shorties and a lid. With full bolt ons, 3.73 gears and Drag radials I was only able to stay door to door with him until 4th gear then the Camaro starts to walk away. I can keep up with them Automatic cars pretty good though. Pretty even to 100. But there is no way a stock Mustang GT 94-95 will come close. I own one and I know this for a fact. Stock with a 5 speed you'll be LUCKY to get 14.3 in the quarter. Seen a lot of tail lights from F-bodies when my car was stock. The LS1 actually got me racing the 5.0 (I hate losing). Then I got smart and bought and SS! Not too many cars run with that car! Still got the Stang, only now it has a maximum motorsports suspension under it.

white

Theres no way that was that stock. I traded my 95 cobra for my camaro and the difference was crazy. 94-95 gts were the slowest mustangs made aside from the mustang 2s. Like ^ says low 14s stock maybe a high 13 with gears and exhaust. But theres no way he could have rolled you like that with those mods. nitrous, maybe stroker or 351 swap

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

or maybe he got the car, and the dealer, or the guy that sold it to him told him its stock. he knows its pretty fast, and is too stupid to know it isnt stock. that is very possible. People are really that stupid,for sure. Dealer wouldnt know. They dont care.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

white

it would be hard to be that ignorant.. I think he just tried to play you

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

If hes out racing F-bodies and doing that well he knows what it has.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

My buddy on here (EVIL-LS1) knows the clan that hangs around the place were that night. Apparently he went back the next weekend, and everybody swore up and down I was throwin' the juice to the car. The guy with the mustang said his brother or cousin (somebody in his family) had an LS1 Z28 that ran 8.3 stock, and that it didn't even run close to what my car ran that night

Honestly, I just think 1) he's totally ignorant when it comes to LS1s or 2) he has some work done to the car, and doesn't like admitting defeat against a 100k mile stock (exhaust) car

red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Yeah either way he has something quite a bit done to it. I have had many full throttle rides in a 94 GT and then one day another friend bought a 98 T/A stock A4 except catback, I took one ride in it and swore I would own an LS1 someday. There is no comparison between the two at all. Like i mentioned I had countless rides in my buddies GT and never wanted one and it only took 1 ride in an LS1 to turn me into a lifelong follower, believer, and enthusiast for LS1 F-bodys. Bought my 01 T/A 5 months after i graduated high school bone stock and great shape, it's been a work in progress ever since.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by pulaski_ls1 View Post
    Yeah either way he has something quite a bit done to it. I have had many full throttle rides in a 94 GT and then one day another friend bought a 98 T/A stock A4 except catback, I took one ride in it and swore I would own an LS1 someday. There is no comparison between the two at all. Like i mentioned I had countless rides in my buddies GT and never wanted one and it only took 1 ride in an LS1 to turn me into a lifelong follower, believer, and enthusiast for LS1 F-bodys. Bought my 01 T/A 5 months after i graduated high school bone stock and great shape, it's been a work in progress ever since.
    A close buddy of mine back in HS had an exhaust/gear/few other bolt-ons 94 GT 5speed, and it would probably hang with my car to 40 or so. Once he hit second, it seemed like it wasn't building much power, and by 3rd I was taking a nap. A bolt-on 5.0 with some gears and a proper suspension setup would be able to beat alot of cars in the 330'. After that......

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

The only thing saving them is the ease of putting a supercharger on. Have you ever raced ones with a head and cam package?

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

friend of mine had a 95 mustang gt 5-speed vert that was outran by a 3000gt non-turbo,and probably the best street racer in town was driving the his mustang,so yeah some mods definately were on the mustang in question.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by seamurda View Post
    The only thing saving them is the ease of putting a supercharger on. Have you ever raced ones with a head and cam package?
    May have been what was done to the one in my orginal post

But to answer your question honestly, I was looking at a 95 GT that had Trickflow heads/intake, B303 cam, and the shortblock was a crate engine from FRPP, or so he said. Had some foxbody wiring harness for ease of tuning according to the seller as well. He was a little leary about letting me drive, so HE drove the car Said it needed gears and I politely agreed. We went from a slow 1st gear roll to probably 90 or so.

I think it would probably edge out my old intake/exhaust LT1 with a shift kit, but wouldn't hang with my car.

The mustang sounded awesome didn't smoke, but had a backyard paintjob, console was all hacked up, wiring exposed, and the leather wasn't all that great by any means. I would've bought it, but wasn't about to pay $4700 for it.

Thread Information