Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Met up with an SRT-4...

Got a phone call from a friend that had an srt-4

First off my car is all stock except for a lid and a cutout, His srt had a mopar stage 1 kit, with exhaust and piping, also looked like a new intercooler,but he didnt say anything about it.

We ran three time and started off at a 40 mph roll and he continued to beat me by half a car until about 110-120 where he would gain an extra half a car.

WTF? Am I just that bad of a driver, is his car supposed to do that, or is he not telling me about all his mods.

I cant believe I lost to a FOUR cylinder!!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Forgot to mention he had a blowoff valve.... i dont know if that makes a difference

03 Terminator

well im not sure exactly how much the Stage 1 gives the SRT-4 cuz im too lazy to go look but i know its gonna help the car out quiet a bit. he might have other things but for a 4 cylinder those cars move. and by piping do you mean downpipe, because downpipes make quiet a bit of a power gain for such a little 2 ft pipe. i dont know tho, try racing him from 70 and see what happens.

Ryan

and if ur an auto 40 roll is shit

Black
    1998 Trans Am

i dont know what he meant by piping, but im ignorant when it comes to turbos and superchargers. anyway he was still had half a car at 70 and I dont think I was gaining,but i know i was holding.

would it have been because i was running 87 (i know someone is gonna grill me for this), I mean how much power loss am I suffering from on 87???

What can I do (reasonably, remember I got a "virgin tight" budget) to beat the sob next time?

btw...i got an M6

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Well 91 octain or higher will give ya bout 5-8 hp if i remember correctly. Not too much but for an extra 3.00 every fill up its pretty good hp vs dollars. If ya want to beat him next time i would say do the FRA mod it should help a little on the higher end especially if u are racin passed 100mph. It wont be alot but every bit helps, especially on a budget. I think that the cheapest hp is always goin ta be NOS. Hope that helped

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Ahhhh dude...giving LS1's a bad name What gear did you start off in? And yes put 91+ octane in you cheap ass...a couple extra bucks a fill up isn't gonna kill you. He also prob has more mods then he's telling you...does he have boost controller?

light car with good power
    a guy at work has an upgraded stage 3
    http://www.mopar.com/srt_stage_1.htm

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

do you have a v-8 or a v-6?? Cause i just raced some kid with a stock srt-4 last night that was talkin some smack...i blew his doors off. I even took off the ASR to spin the tires a bit

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The stage 1 is only 240hp/260tq at the crank...even though it's kind of a light car(2970lbs) he isn't gonna pull you like that unless he's hiding mods...he might even have a small shot of spray. You should have around 290-320rwhp depending on how "strong" your ls1 is from the factory.

haha, you got smoked. srt-4s are kinda quick. im not suprised. you need to get some more mods.

badfnz28
    I have to say I'm surprised. I'm not talkin smack, but were your shifts clean at all? Anyway, if you can launch that thing..race him from a dig and you will kill him as long as you can bang those gears. I raced a guy with a stage 2 kit when I only had a lid and cutout and he never had a chance.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    The stage 1 is only 240hp/260tq at the crank...even though it's kind of a light car(2970lbs) he isn't gonna pull you like that unless he's hiding mods...he might even have a small shot of spray. You should have around 290-320rwhp depending on how "strong" your ls1 is from the factory.
    WERD....

my buddy has a 05 ACR with stage II...3" turbo back exh dumped out the side, aem intake, forge bov and a 75 shot wet....he dyno'd a couple weeks ago, put down 241/247....w/o n20

i think that dude was BSing you....I have A LID, LT's 3" ory and borlamouth exh and he cant pull me from a roll or a dig race....dude prolly has stage II

CamaroKillZ28
    I will walk the srt4 all day long.....what gear did you downshift to? maybe thats ur problem, i know around 45mph that second hits hard, not too many things that can catch me...

2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

Hey srt-4's are quick little cars. With stage 3 it is over 300hp, not to bad.
    There are some out the puting down 500-600whp!! Look at turbochargers.com

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

the one thing that would give him an edge in addition to what he told u his mods were, he probably had a boost controller, that allows the waste gate to stay closed longer therefore producing more boost, he may have the boost up to 25lbs for all you know, but u can be certian that won't last long on stock internals!
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

2000 ss silver bullet volksmech1's Avatar

silver
    2000 camaro ss

well here is the deal. i was at the track saturday. there were 3 of them out there. 2 were stock running 14 and 13.8 then there was the modded one running a pretty consistent 12.2- 12.5 range

Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok I was startin at 40 in second gear, hit all of my shifts clean at around 4200-4500 rpm, I think he had a boost control also, he seemed like one of those types who doesnt like to give out info on his ride... I talked to a friend of his, and he says the guy may have a stage 2 or even 3 kit.. so i dont know what to think.

I have had this car about a month now and Im starting to get into the mods, but cant do too much since I purchased an extended warranty, on top of the fact that (like I said) I have a really tight budget, and am making car, school loans, insurance, apartment, cell, cable...etc, and considering I am 18 years old and am attending school with a shitty paying job, i think that i have the right to be a cheap ass...

Anyway its not an excuse for losing, but for the record I didnt get smoked... the most I got beat by was about 3/4 a car....

Black
    1998 Trans Am

We didnt get up to 120, but do yall think by then I would start gaining even passing him?

badfnz28
    You were shifting at 4200-4500 in a ls1 m6? THAT'S WHY YOU LOST. Race him again and shift at about 6000. You're not gonna hurt that thing unless you miss a gear pretty bad. And if he only beat you by a car length his car is not modded much at all.

Thread Information