Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ls1 vs mach 1

Black
    2002 Chevy Z28

ls1 vs mach 1

last night on my way home some guys in a mach 1 started romping me. so i ask him if he wants to race and he asked me what do i run in the 1/4 mile. i told him 13.4 and he said " o ok i ran a 13.1 so i dont know if you want to race me." i asked him if he wanted to go dead stop or rolling and he said rolling. we went at a 30 mph roll. by the time i shifted into second i was already pulling on him by half a car, at third i had him by a little more than a car, and at 4th i had him in between 1 to 2 cars. he started complaining that there was no way i ran a 13.4 and he wanted to go again at a dead stop. so i agreed and thanks to my crappy launching he took me in the beginning but as i went into 3rd gear i was right next to him. as i grabbed 4th i was like at half a car ahead of him. afterwards i tried to stop see if he wanted to go again and he just waved and took off. felt good to beat a mustang. it was a good night for my Z28

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Great kill man. Now go find some Cobra's!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Stock to stock, or with equal mods, the last thing a Mach 1 wants to do is race an LS1 from a roll.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

With times that close i think the better driver can play a factor in that.....good KILL!

Black
    2002 Chevy Z28

thanks... i dont know what mods he had but all i got is lid, bellow, and cut-out on my m6. i dont think his car was stock either, but i didnt get a chance to ask him. he just bailed on me. haha

Green
    1997 ws-6

most mustang owners are really cool!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

nice kill. machs are drivers races stock for stock ls1's

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Good kill on the Mach 1. They are nothing like a GT like most people think.

Black
    2002 Chevy Z28

yeah i was surprised that he was that close to me... usually i kill gt's pretty easily. i raced a cobra once and it was a different outcome. he took me by like 1/2 a car. hopefully i should be able to take out a stock cobra out in a couple of months.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

An FYI on the Cobras.....99-04 Cobras are very similar in appearance, but very different in performance. A stock LS1 will outrun a stock 99/01 Cobra by about as much as a stock 03/04 Cobra will beat a stock LS1.

It pays to know what you're up against.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Mach 1's are pretty close to LS1's in terms of performance, but it takes a good driver to get the most out of them. They don't have much low end (DOHC 4.6) but they make up for it in the top end, redline is 7,000RPM I believe. So if you launch too low or miss a shift and fall off the powerband, you're all done.

He probably got the 13.1 1/4 mile time from a magazine review, I remember one of the mags (C&D or MT) pulled a 13.1 @ 107MPH in a stock Mach 1. However, that was in optimal conditions with a good driver

Black
    01 Camaro SS

With a good driver a Mach 1 can go a 12. Seen it right in front of my eyes.... But this was also at a very good track w/ some good DA. Same dude later traded in his Mach 1 for a 06 GTO which he also took 12.9 on street tires. Dude could flat out race. Those Mach 1s aint no slouches though, as said, completely different than a GT! Nice kill bro!!!
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Blue
    04 Mach 1

nice kill. the thing that got me was when i was stock or close to it i used to race my buddies ws6 from a roll and through 1st and 2nd i would pull about a half car then the would start to come back and by around 130 have me by a half car....stock, i remember the good ol days. much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
    most mustang owners are really cool!

I've met a couple, but not many.

I ran into a Mach 1 with at least an exhaust, to my Lid cutout M6 99 Z28 and I was dissapointed by the mustang's performance. From a 30 roll I had around 3 cars by the top of 2nd. Everyone says its a drivers race, maybe from a dig...but what isn't a drivers race from that scenario.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang View Post
    nice kill. the thing that got me was when i was stock or close to it i used to race my buddies ws6 from a roll and through 1st and 2nd i would pull about a half car then the would start to come back and by around 130 have me by a half car....stock, i remember the good ol days. much cheaper.
    You got that Procharger on that Mach yet? I hear you about the expensive part dude, I am still saving up for my 3K rear end, and I have not driven my car since early December

Well, look at it this way, this summer we should be puttin' it down at Rockingham Dragway with a few grudge matches.

Good kill on the Mach there poster boy! It was a driver's race, and you won, congrats...now move on to NASCAR!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Stock to stock, or with equal mods, the last thing a Mach 1 wants to do is race an LS1 from a roll.
    i concur. already posted a similar kill story a few months back with a mach 1 and leaving him by a couple cars. but they have my complete respect because they are fast bitches!!!! and they look pretty good too!

Black
    2002 Chevy Z28

thanks guys. yeah i wasnt surprised when he took me off the line with my shitty launching. they are quick though. i am pretty sure i can probably get my car into a 13.1 or better but i cant hook on the damn street tires.. waiting for my b-day for my girl to get me my longtubes and drag radials another thing, would it be better to power shift or just shift normal? i have heard both good and bad about power shifting.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28pwrHecz View Post
    thanks guys. yeah i wasnt surprised when he took me off the line with my shitty launching. they are quick though. i am pretty sure i can probably get my car into a 13.1 or better but i cant hook on the damn street tires.. waiting for my b-day for my girl to get me my longtubes and drag radials another thing, would it be better to power shift or just shift normal? i have heard both good and bad about power shifting.
    he he. hooking and street tires cant be used in conjunction....

good kill and good luck!

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Z28pwrHecz View Post
    Powershifting....there is good, bad, and ugly about it.

The good....with traction, a properly-executed, aggressive powershift will result in the quickest acceleration.

The bad....if you are traction-limited, powershifting will only make this worse, and could actually result in a slower ET.

The ugly....powershifting is hard on the tranny - very hard. At some point, you will break. Maybe sooner, maybe not so soon, but you're much more likely to break the tranny on any given run when powershifting vice lift-throttle shifting.

Everything is a compromise - the choice is yours.

Thread Information