White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

LS1 SS w/cam vs TTZX

Happened a few months ago but I was hoping maybe you guys could shed a bit of light on who and what.

Was cruising up and down the GB strip in MD. Seeing the usual, until near when I was about to head out, a red LS1 bodystyle camaro. Now I was thinking I could be in trouble because he sounded rather intimidating with the exhaust note. We waved to eachother giving thumbs up and got down to business at the safer side of the strip. The guy chose to do a 20roll, I was fine with that being on bladish street tires myself.
    He honked, we went, he pulled about a car out and I held him. Shift to 2nd and slowly crawled back to being at his door, shift to 3rd I walked at a much better pace to about a car maybe a car and 1/2 in front by the end of the gear. Shutdown. Needless to say I was pumped. We slowed and talked at the light, mods were "bolt-ons and a small cam", the car sounded mean as hell. I thought he mentioned something about 22X 224? something size cam but I couldn't hear him to well.
    Does this sound right? What cam could he be referring to? I am cai, pullies, downpipes back exhaust running 15-16psi. Perhaps you guys can shed some light on this one for me. I wanted to talk more to him, but when I turned a U at the light he didn't follow.

*Edit: almost forgot - It was a M6
    Last edited by whiteghoztt; 01-10-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: forgot

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

Yea, a 224 cam. Its a small cam, a little bigger than stock. With that cam he might put 370 hp to the wheels.

White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by blky2kz View Post
    Yea, a 224 cam. Its a small cam, a little bigger than stock. With that cam he might put 370 hp to the wheels.
    Ahh, that would explain it then. I don't know the duration/lift of the stock cams so that helps. I was laying 376rwhp and 394rwtq @ 96 degree heat at the time of that run, so taking into consideration it was night time and a bit colder, and the weights are about the same between the 2 cars, I should have had a slight edge on power then. Definitely one of the best runs i've had.

pearl yellow / charcoal
    95 RT/TT, 91 300ZX TT

Ahh, that would explain it then. I don't know the duration/lift of the stock cams so that helps. I was laying 376rwhp and 394rwtq @ 96 degree heat at the time of that run, so taking into consideration it was night time and a bit colder, and the weights are about the same between the 2 cars, I should have had a slight edge on power then. Definitely one of the best runs i've had.
    Are you sure that is all the mods you have (in your first post)? 376rwhp seems a little high with just those mods (at that boost level). Not doubting you or anything, just curious. I am at 330RWHP on my Z with nearly the same mods as you. Is yours tuned? Just for reference, my Z slowly pulled my Stealth with the old time in my sig from a roll, so I am guessing my Z traps 109-110 or so. That will of course change shortly with the mods I am doing to my Stealth, it will be a total raping. I wouldn't have a chance with a cammed LS1 in my Z.
    pearl yellow 95 RT/TT 29K miles
    12.93 @ 107.3 (old time)
    being built w/ EVOIII 16G's, FMIC, and support (aiming for 500AWHP on 93 octane)

charcoal 91 300ZX TT 5 spd 39K miles
    custom 2.5" exhaust / downpipes, no cats
    JWT intake / ECU @ 15.5PSI

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R stock

White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 95rtturbo View Post
    Are you sure that is all the mods you have (in your first post)? 376rwhp seems a little high with just those mods (at that boost level). Not doubting you or anything, just curious. I am at 330RWHP on my Z with nearly the same mods as you. Is yours tuned? Just for reference, my Z slowly pulled my Stealth with the old time in my sig from a roll, so I am guessing my Z traps 109-110 or so. That will of course change shortly with the mods I am doing to my Stealth, it will be a total raping. I wouldn't have a chance with a cammed LS1 in my Z.
    Thats all I've got. GD divorced DP, stillen testpipes, B&B catback, UR pullies, JWT pop cai, JWT chip + MBC running as high as 16lbs that night. Dynoed 376 rwhp and 394 rwtq on Dynojet, untuned however running slightly lean on my wideband, but still "safe". I just bought HKS SMIC's and 555cc injectors to bump up to or over the 400whp mark.

pearl yellow / charcoal
    95 RT/TT, 91 300ZX TT

Damn, nice numbers, you have a strong running Z!

White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

You might want to check your Z out, 330whp is is stage 3 numbers (320~330). Downpipes back exhaust w/ pop charger and chip @ 15+psi should hit at LEAST 350-355rwhp untuned,(plus I have pullies so that helps). You might want to check for boost leaks, compression test, do tune-up, etc.

pearl yellow / charcoal
    95 RT/TT, 91 300ZX TT

Car is running fine, yes I am at "Stage III". On the dyno, boost was very consistent, no leaks, runs great. From what I hear 320-330RWHP is right where I should be, 376RWHP would be on the freak side, so enjoy it.

White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 95rtturbo View Post
    Car is running fine, yes I am at "Stage III". On the dyno, boost was very consistent, no leaks, runs great. From what I hear 320-330RWHP is right where I should be, 376RWHP would be on the freak side, so enjoy it.
    There is quite a few people on tt.net that put down similier numbers. My car was an auto that I swapped to a 5-spd so the smaller turbos and different cams really help torque down low. The dynojet I went on I doubt had corrected numbers, I had laid 366 rwhp and 389 rwtq just weeks prior on a mustang dyno, same mods. If you are only at "stage 3" then your power is right on. As soon as I get back home I would like to get my extra stuff installed and tune it, can't wait!

Thread Information