Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Lost to a Mustang leaves me scratching my head.

Ok, I lost to a '99 Mustang GT. We only went from a dig to 60-70 MPH, but 1st time I lose about a car-length, 2nd time it was dead even. I'm going nuts thinking something is potentially wrong with my car, or one of my mods put me back. The only time I lost a little control was the 1st to 2nd shift the 2nd run...my tires smoked a little and I felt like I was on ice for a second or 2. On a Mustang forum they're calling me a bad driver, but it's a fucking A4. Here's the specs on both of us.

99 Gt 98,000 miles M5 2v 3.73 gears ,alum d/s , Uca+Lca's, 99 Cobra wheels, LOUDMOUTH Catback , Dr Gas X, Accufab T/b + Plenum ,Wingless , Scoopless , and Debadged ..one and only dyno run = 87 pump gas, factory tune, with mods listed and a cold motor 239rwhp@5000rpm 266.8rwtq@4100rpm

00 Z28 64,000 miles A4 3.23 gears, K&N FIPK, Hooker cat-back, TB Coolant Bypass, Jasper Class 1 4L60E. Ran 91 octane.

How could I lose??? From the factory I should've had 298 RWHP and 335 RWTQ, guessing @ 310 RWHP and 345 RWTQ modestly.

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

????????

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Oh yea, and if you think somethings wrong with my car...well.

The alternator, water pump, thermostat, fan belts, coolant (Dex-Cool to traditional green), sway bar bushings & links, ignition cylinder key, pads, rotors, battery, and transmission are all new within the last 15,000 miles.

Tires are going a little but still have tread on Goodyear Traction T/A's. Shocks are dead but who cares on a drag.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Oh yea, and if you think somethings wrong with my car...well.

The alternator, water pump, thermostat, fan belts, coolant (Dex-Cool to traditional green), sway bar bushings & links, ignition cylinder key, pads, rotors, battery, and transmission are all new within the last 15,000 miles.

Tires are going a little but still have tread on Goodyear Traction T/A's. Shocks are dead but who cares on a drag.
    suspension/ hooking can be more important then power. remember that.

Racing to only 60-70 is pretty lame. Thats not even the 1/8th mile. Go higher next time and youll pass him without a doubt.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I agree. You should have run up to 100 mph. Short races are all about traction. A street race usually involves bad pavement, furthuring your traction problems.

I ran a couple GT's with the Cobra from a dig, and I was usually behind out the hole, but once 80 mph it was bye bye.

Bigger tires, better launch skills, and you will have short races in hand also. But if traction is an issue, you will need to run up to 100 mph to put him in the rear view handily.
    Last edited by Roastem; 10-27-2006 at 03:08 AM.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I agree. You should have run up to 100 mph. Short races are all about traction. A street race usually involves bad pavement, furthuring your traction problems.

I ran a couple GT's with the Cobra from a dig, and I was usually behind out the hole, but once 80 mph it was bye bye.

Bigger tires, better launch skills, and you will short races in hand also. But if traction is an issue, you will need to run up to 100 mph to put him in the rear view handily.
    Eh, but the other guy didnt really have any traction problems. The pavement under their tires were equal. Plus, its kinda hard to fuck up an a4..unless he panic-ed and hammered it after the guy started to win the launch.

However, YES. I agree that that is a SHITTY mph finish 'line.' Thats less than 7 seconds. (hopefully)

Either race correctly or not at all.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

sucks but here's why you shouldn't take it so hard. everyone knows that mustangs have great low end/out of the hole power. it's their power to weight ratio/gearing. couple that w/a 5spd and after marktet 3.73's and its a good combo for them. I also agree that racing to only 60-70 is in the perfect range for a mustang to get an LS1 car, but anything over that, it's going to be all LS1...

Ratdaddy07
    Not to mention reaction time could be huge in such a short race if you wanna call it that. Run him again for real this time, go for 4 or 5 telephone polls or pick an end point, if it ain't at least close to a 1/4 mile it ain't racin to me.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Post a link to the stang board

I read the story on the SVT board before I did hear. I was the guy who posted you needed the driver mod because you should be able to smoke that guy.... I think your probably just spinning the tires and not getting out of the hole like you need too. What tires are you running on? Get some decent drag radials and redeem yourself then race that guy again.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    Not to mention reaction time could be huge in such a short race if you wanna call it that. Run him again for real this time, go for 4 or 5 telephone polls or pick an end point, if it ain't at least close to a 1/4 mile it ain't racin to me.
    Agreed. That three honk shit is not fair by any means. The guy doing the honking is gonna have the advantage every time. Could be a second, or two even, and to 70 mph that could be the difference in win or lose.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

well you probly cant drive....ha ha that sucks

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I lost to a 05 gt a couple weeks ago also.It's all in the traction.I had bald tires at the time. Once I hooked I started to reel him in but we were out of the gas before I could catch him. Got tires and am now looking for him.

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Is it possible that the guy is not being totally truthful with his mod list? my brother has a 99 GT and the mods he has are all internal. At first you just think you are looking at a basically stock 4.6L until you run him and hear his car rapping out to almost 8000rpm's.

2002 TA

Or a little of the funny gas as well, I can't see him beating you, even if you were spinning through all the gears.

Black
    2004 Mustang GT

i have a setup alot like that but without the gears. cars like this are faster than you think. mid 13s at around 103-106. good enough to run with a stock ls1 car.

Black
    2004 Mustang GT

PS dont forget the GT is only 3283lbs in 99.

torchred
    99 FRC Vette

Thats all I can say

Red
    02' Z28 M6

I put 4 car lenghts on a 98 cobra from a 70-120 roll at least 3 times....I am close to stock too.

Thread Information