Thread: L98-1 M3-0

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

L98-1 M3-0

this was a fun race...chased a new M3 down and then layeth the smackdown on him...pulled him by a fender and still kept pulling from a 5ish roll but still won

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

nice, the M3's usually put up a better fight than most!! I would race one of them over a Mustang any day.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

nice! funny you mention it, cause last night I was out for a cruise and a newer M3 was coming across the intersection going the opposite way I was and the driver stared me down and gave me a little rev. I thought about turnin around but it was in a really congested area, so maybe next time. Good kill man.

02 M3

L98, really?

Having owned some LT1 and LS1 cars I know what they can do. And usually outclass an L98 pretty well.

I've had an M roadster (z3 with M3 motor) and now M3. Both of which are low 13 sec 1/4 mile cars at 104 and 109 mph.

A little trickier to race (get max acceleration), but much easier to drive through the corners.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by roo97ss
    Having owned some LT1 and LS1 cars I know what they can do. And usually outclass an L98 pretty well.
    That was only because of the limitation of the factory L98. Remember, Tuned Port Injection was originally intended for the LB9-305, and had no business sitting on top of an L98-350. However, today is an entirely different story....;

Also, check out one of the best comparisons to date, Click Here....

Last edited by Street Lethal; 05-27-2008 at 06:16 AM.

02 M3

wow, some nice work on that unit.

They really ran out of steam up top, but were great down low and around town. That torque was nice. A friend had a 90 or 91, tpi 350 auto Z. That's what got me into the first LT1. Great sound, almost as much low end torque and some high end power, or so i though t until i got the ls1.

Joe

^ The FIRST setup (Click Here) really took the TPI to the next level, as the flow numbers are virtually unlimited. Can you imagine linking that setup w/the Scoggin Dickey SB2.2 Nascar heads, that's an easy 600-700 HP L98-350 on motor alone....

^ Edit: With the right camshaft of course....
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 05-27-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

What car were you driving? What are the mods to your L98? Fortunately, you can easily nickel and dime an L98 into the 12's.

I have an '89 Corvette with a well-modded L98 and it's consistently good for low 12's (thanks A4 + drag radials), however it took a TON of mods and I'm nowhere even close to 400 rwhp (and certainly not 500 - 600).

While the L98 motors don't typically throw out great power figures on the dyno, the torque is absolutely sick on the street. Couple that with the fact that (even with a nice stall) the car would dead hook on DR's on the street and it made the simple stoplight races a LOT of fun. Unfortunately, even after all of the intake mods (ported plenum, TB, big mouth base, runners, etc.) the car still started to choke out around 5,000 rpm.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02
    I have an '89 Corvette with a well-modded L98 and it's consistently good for low 12's (thanks A4 + drag radials), however it took a TON of mods and I'm nowhere even close to 400 rwhp (and certainly not 500 - 600)....
    Not to get into big argument here, you cannot mod your L98 a specific way, then imply that it isn't easy to achieve 400-RWHP, based on your individual mods. The stock Tuned Port Injection setup is very restrictive, and is one of the, if not the, biggest bottleneck's ever to come out of Detroit. It all depends on the mods, as well as the symmetry of the valvetrain being selected. Tim's old Iroc-Z is a very good example of this, Click here. As for 500-600 horsepower, I take it your not too familiar with the SB2.2 cylinder heads (they cost about $6000.00 a pair)....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Not to get into big argument here, you cannot mod your L98 a specific way, then imply that it isn't easy to achieve 400-RWHP, based on your individual mods. The stock Tuned Port Injection setup is very restrictive, and is one of the, if not the, biggest bottleneck's ever to come out of Detroit. It all depends on the mods, as well as the symmetry of the valvetrain being selected. Tim's old Iroc-Z is a very good example of this, Click here. As for 500-600 horsepower, I take it your not too familiar with the SB2.2 cylinder heads (they cost about $6000.00 a pair)....
    No argument at all....I probably should've been more clear that I retained the TPI setup (albeit highly modified). I was simply indicating that I had a bunch of mods (all of which were selected to meet my own individual goals....none of which included achieving any special number on a dyno) and at the end of the day I ended up with a car easily capable of low 12's and I was still a good ways from 400 rwhp. In short, I nickeled and dimed my way into the 12's, however I am aware that a Super/Mini/Stealth Ram setup + heads + the right cam on an L98 would yield a monster!

It is important to note, just as you stated above, that the TPI is a restrictive bottle neck that comes straight from the factory. Provided you're willing to toss that out of the window, it will open the L98 to a world of opportunities......a world that makes is much easier (albeit costly) to achieve big power numbers.

Which direction did you go with your L98? Mods? I can always appreciate it when someone does what it takes to extract the performance those motors are truly capable of.

^ I went in a completely different direction with my TPI project, and hopefully it will be done very soon (just some small details to finish up); single turbo w/T76, siamesed runners w/ported base and plenum, '749 ECM w/$59 mask, larger injectors, etc. When all is said and done, will be very similar to this car's performance level w/moderate boost (Click Here), only I'll be tuned for 20+ psi and should be in the 9's....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

^ I went in a completely different direction with my TPI project, and hopefully it will be done very soon (just some small details to finish up); single turbo w/T76, siamesed runners w/ported base and plenum, '749 ECM w/$59 mask, larger injectors, etc. When all is said and done, will be very similar to this car's performance level w/moderate boost (Click Here), only I'll be tuned for 20+ psi and should be in the 9's....
    I LOVE it! Sounds like you have an awesome combo there! That L98 is going to hurt a bunch of peoples' feelings!! HAHA!

White
    1999 e36 M

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post
    this was a fun race...chased a new M3 down and then layeth the smackdown on him...pulled him by a fender and still kept pulling from a 5ish roll but still won

e92 M3? Those things trap at nearly 115 mph bone stock. 420Hp @8400 RPM.

e46 m3, yes you should take them.

10's N/A

The sb2.2's are a marvel piece, but realistically thinking, who is trying to pay $6000 for some heads to get to 500hp??

The top-half of those motors is definitely the restriction. I saw a dyno sheet of a stock 5.7TPI and the car made power up to about 4300 rpm and then fell flat on it's face after that. You can get them in the 13's w/ a few nick nacks, but you will soon find the limit of the stock intake & heads.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
    L98, really?

I've had an M roadster (z3 with M3 motor) and now M3. Both of which are low 13 sec 1/4 mile cars at 104 and 109 mph.

A little trickier to race (get max acceleration), but much easier to drive through the corners.

Joe
    It was a close an interesting race but I still ended up pulling on him...of course its not under the L98's own power....a little 150 pill helped out alot

Thread Information