Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Killed my roommmate's C5...

...with my GTP

So we were heading to the mall...me, my fiance (passenger in my car), my roommate in his '98 C5, and my brother in my old Mazda3. We were driving separately because we all had to go separate ways in a few hours.

So anyway...we line up at a red light..GTP and C5 next to each other with the Mazda3 behind me. There is some water from the melting snow covering the entire intersection, but the road ahead is dry as a bone. I've known my roommate for a good 5 years now, and I know he isn't the best driver, so I KNOW he is going to stomp on it when the light turns green. Knowing this, I throw him a rev, which he returns.

Light turns green, I ease into the throttle, my roommate floors it, I make it to dry pavement (without any wheel spin), and then floor it. I accelerate like a bat out of hell. I look behind me and my friend is still spinning, but he is slowing moving across the intersection with smoke in tow. I watch as he easy reels me in and passes me. Now at this point I'm doing 125mph. My fastest quarter mile time is 13.7 @ 99.6mph. If my calculations are correct I am past the quarter mile mark.

When we get to the next light, he has pulled in front of me (truck in what was his lane), and has his flashers on signaling that he won...I disagree. He says that he made it to the next light first, therefore he is the winner. I say that I made it way past the quarter mile marker before he caught me, and since his top speed is at least 20mph higher than mine (160 vs 140) he would win a distance race every time. Granted we never established a finishing point, but still. What do you guys think...who won?

PS: I think we can all agree that I at least have the better Driver Mod

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

You won clean and clear imo

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Thats a win to me.

man tell you bud to sell that vette and get something with fwd

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

he won cuz he is the one driving the corvette!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

u won. Even a puller car (with a good setup) can beat up on a vette sometimes. hehehe
    This just reminds me I need to get mine (fwd TT) done!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    ...with my GTP

So we were heading to the mall...me, my fiance (passenger in my car), my roommate in his '98 C5, and my brother in my old Mazda3. We were driving separately because we all had to go separate ways in a few hours.

So anyway...we line up at a red light..GTP and C5 next to each other with the Mazda3 behind me. There is some water from the melting snow covering the entire intersection, but the road ahead is dry as a bone. I've known my roommate for a good 5 years now, and I know he isn't the best driver, so I KNOW he is going to stomp on it when the light turns green. Knowing this, I throw him a rev, which he returns.

Light turns green, I ease into the throttle, my roommate floors it, I make it to dry pavement (without any wheel spin), and then floor it. I accelerate like a bat out of hell. I look behind me and my friend is still spinning, but he is slowing moving across the intersection with smoke in tow. I watch as he easy reels me in and passes me. Now at this point I'm doing 125mph. My fastest quarter mile time is 13.7 @ 99.6mph. If my calculations are correct I am past the quarter mile mark.

When we get to the next light, he has pulled in front of me (truck in what was his lane), and has his flashers on signaling that he won...I disagree. He says that he made it to the next light first, therefore he is the winner. I say that I made it way past the quarter mile marker before he caught me, and since his top speed is at least 20mph higher than mine (160 vs 140) he would win a distance race every time. Granted we never established a finishing point, but still. What do you guys think...who won?

PS: I think we can all agree that I at least have the better Driver Mod
    nice kill,
    once I was on my bicycle and I was stoped at a red light, waiting to cross the street, but I was on the side walk. I looked over a saw a Viper pull up to the light. I knew what I had to do. We got the green and I started pedaling real hard, then I realized that I was completley across the street before this Dodge Viper even left the stop light. I guess he didnt notice that it was green. Any way, long story short: I beat a Dodge Viper on my bicycle. It was awesome and I tell people the story all the time.

sunset orange metallic
    2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    nice kill,
    once i was on my bicycle and i was stoped at a red light, waiting to cross the street, but i was on the side walk. I looked over a saw a viper pull up to the light. I knew what i had to do. We got the green and i started pedaling real hard, then i realized that i was completley across the street before this dodge viper even left the stop light. I guess he didnt notice that it was green. Any way, long story short: I beat a dodge viper on my bicycle. It was awesome and i tell people the story all the time.
    now thats a nice kill ...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I killed a Chipotle burrito for lunch today. Crushed a can of Monster energy drink too.

Oh yeah...
    No clear winner... head to the track and see what happens.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

white
    2000 Z28

hole shot win??? oh yeah the stock gauges just go to 160 if a stock f body can hit 160 with room to spare then a stock c5 can go a bit higher.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Yeah,you won, but you can only tell that story once. Then it gets obnoxious. Good throttle control.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Nice kill due to weather

But hey, a win is a win, right?

Black
    2001 WS6

I'd say try it dry. It sounds like you had an advantage because u werent there spinning out at the light.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    I'd say try it dry. It sounds like you had an advantage because u werent there spinning out at the light.
    But why would a 240-260whp FWD car have no traction problems and a RWD 300whp vette would. It would still be easier to get a better launch from the vette. Driver mod

Black
    2001 WS6

Well consider this, the Front wheel drive less horsepower car, that has all the weight in the front for traction, against the lesser weight higher horsepower Rear wheel drive with No weight in the back in a wet start. Take the t/c off of the vet with some guy nailing it from the start and of course the first car will be better off the line. On dry pavement he wouldnt have a chance unless the guy in the vette doesnt know how to launch.

Arctic White, red/gray

Well consider this, the Front wheel drive less horsepower car, that has all the weight in the front for traction, against the lesser weight higher horsepower Rear wheel drive with No weight in the back in a wet start. Take the t/c off of the vet with some guy nailing it from the start and of course the first car will be better off the line. On dry pavement he wouldnt have a chance unless the guy in the vette doesnt know how to launch.
    Lol, you can roast the tires in a stock GTP all the way across a intersection easy with an auto, they are not known as cars with good traction. And what you just described was a driver mod, the guy in the vette couldn't control it so he lost. Doesnt matter what the car can run, it only matters what it does run when you race.

Black
    2001 WS6

im sorry i dont consider that a race

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

You may not, BUT both parties in the story did. OP was just asking for clarification of his situation.

Arctic White, red/gray

im sorry i dont consider that a race
    How not, two guys are at a light and when it changes they go for it and they know eachother is gonna go for it. They leave nothing on the table and run there cars as hard as they can the best they can.
    THATS CALLED A RACE

Black
    2001 WS6

Ok so if you went up against a honda hatchback, and you couldnt get traction because there was water on the ground, and then you caught and caught up and beat him, would u still say he won?

Arctic White, red/gray

Ok so if you went up against a honda hatchback, and you couldnt get traction because there was water on the ground, and then you caught and caught up and beat him, would u still say he won?
    Not if we were both still racing when I passed him. On the street there is no set speed or time to stop other than you stop when someone lets off. But its still a race regardless of winner

Unless it was a freeway race i usually would never go above 120ishmph since i knew that was about my trap speed and then i would letoff. That meant the race was over, if noone lets off at there 1/4mile speed or whatever it goes until someone does let off and the person in the lead at that point is the winner on the street. If someone were to use these rules and launchs hard then lets off at 30 mph cause they have the lead and call it a win thats BS and you can tell him to run again but if he wont oh well move on.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-04-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Thread Information