Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Killed an AWD turbo Eagle Talon

I usually don't post here, but I have some time and winter has me wishing for summer days.
    In my chevelle last summer at the local cruise inn, (picture just posted in the thread a couple spots down about driving home from the movies.)

It was late, about 11:30 pm and most of the place had emptied by now but there was this white Eagle Talon that kept sitting there with a pair of guys. They seemed to keep watching my father and I,,,he was driving his GTO. We leave to go home,,,as soon as I shut my hood they jump in and fire up the talon,,,I hear an open down pipe and the turbo spooling up is very loud,,,this thing has a huge intercooler mounted in front with what seemed like most of the front of the car cut away to expose it,,,lol.

I pull out and sure enough he follows. I'm thinking man I'm starting to get too old for this stuff,,,lol. Sure enough no sooner than up to speed on a 4 lane highway going about 50 mph he pulls along side and starts jumping,,,I thought,,,well I have a clear shot so we mash the throttle about the same time,,,mine downshifted to second gear, he was there about 2 seconds then fell back,,,,at the top of second gear I just shut it down,,,he was about 4 cars back at the time.

He pulls up beside me,,,I have the windows down. Now I'm getting older and I'm bald, so I'm not sure what these young kids think about talking to an old fart,,,but he was really cool and said,,,hey man how much hp does that thing have,,,,,I just said,,,,I don't know He said he had an 11 second car,,,, then wouldn't ya know it,,,we get caught at a light. I already know what he's thinking since I once owned a Typhoon and I'm well aware of what AWD and turbo's do. But he doesn't know my chevelle cuts 1.5 60 foot times in street trim Dad is right behind me in the goat,,,another 1.5 60 foot car,,,, He was spooling up,,,,a few second later the light went green and I leaped out about a car right off the batt and after using second gear I shut down about 6 cars in front. Dad told me he was able to pull along side of him even after getting a late start, being cautious while watching me, and carefull not to run me over I took my exit and he waved with a thumbs up,,,pretty cool group of kids I thought.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

nicely done.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones
    He pulls up beside me,,,I have the windows down. Now I'm getting older and I'm bald, so I'm not sure what these young kids think about talking to an old fart,,,
    Your always as young as you feel, age is just a number....

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Wow, a 1.5 60' will def cause a hurting to some AWD cars... Nice kill.

Thanks, I was actually sweating it a little because being such a little car I figured it should 60 foot good. Considering my Typhoon was stock and much heavier, and I could cut 1.70's 60 foot times with it.

Plus this Talon smelled of high octane gas, so I knew the boost was cranked up. I figured if he got me out of the hole I had enough to run him down. He may have bogged or something, I don't know, I couldn't hear much after I stood on the gas,,,lol. But he didn't fall back too much as first. I've seen a few of them at the track running 11's though so I didn't think his claim was out of the ballpark. They can be pretty darn fast.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thanks, I was actually sweating it a little because being such a little car I figured it should 60 foot good. Considering my Typhoon was stock and much heavier, and I could cut 1.70's 60 foot times with it.

Plus this Talon smelled of high octane gas, so I knew the boost was cranked up. I figured if he got me out of the hole I had enough to run him down. He may have bogged or something, I don't know, I couldn't hear much after I stood on the gas,,,lol. But he didn't fall back too much as first. I've seen a few of them at the track running 11's though so I didn't think his claim was out of the ballpark. They can be pretty darn fast.
    Some are pretty darn fast, but they are pretty darn unreliable too.

Nice kill.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

that has to hurt his moral getting beat by a rwd v8 from a dig. That is what the dsm's love. good kill.
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6... few things done.

medium blue metallic
    99 Trans Am

look im 20 and me and my grand pop ride harleys together. he has modded his to the point of insanity. its a 1200 sportster and its the fastest non crotch bike i have ever seen. it is SOO awesome when he gers alongside ANYTHING and they try to race and get their asses beat...by a sportster. i think its the absolute best when the old guys kick ass. congrats on the kill and dont ever stop beating the youngins.

wes

Blue
    2002 WS-6

Hey Larry, kick some young ass!!! I'll be right there with you !!!

OldBlue.......

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I usually don't post here, but I have some time and winter has me wishing for summer days.
    In my chevelle last summer at the local cruise inn, (picture just posted in the thread a couple spots down about driving home from the movies.)

It was late, about 11:30 pm and most of the place had emptied by now but there was this white Eagle Talon that kept sitting there with a pair of guys. They seemed to keep watching my father and I,,,he was driving his GTO. We leave to go home,,,as soon as I shut my hood they jump in and fire up the talon,,,I hear an open down pipe and the turbo spooling up is very loud,,,this thing has a huge intercooler mounted in front with what seemed like most of the front of the car cut away to expose it,,,lol.

I pull out and sure enough he follows. I'm thinking man I'm starting to get too old for this stuff,,,lol. Sure enough no sooner than up to speed on a 4 lane highway going about 50 mph he pulls along side and starts jumping,,,I thought,,,well I have a clear shot so we mash the throttle about the same time,,,mine downshifted to second gear, he was there about 2 seconds then fell back,,,,at the top of second gear I just shut it down,,,he was about 4 cars back at the time.

He pulls up beside me,,,I have the windows down. Now I'm getting older and I'm bald, so I'm not sure what these young kids think about talking to an old fart,,,but he was really cool and said,,,hey man how much hp does that thing have,,,,,I just said,,,,I don't know He said he had an 11 second car,,,, then wouldn't ya know it,,,we get caught at a light. I already know what he's thinking since I once owned a Typhoon and I'm well aware of what AWD and turbo's do. But he doesn't know my chevelle cuts 1.5 60 foot times in street trim Dad is right behind me in the goat,,,another 1.5 60 foot car,,,, He was spooling up,,,,a few second later the light went green and I leaped out about a car right off the batt and after using second gear I shut down about 6 cars in front. Dad told me he was able to pull along side of him even after getting a late start, being cautious while watching me, and carefull not to run me over I took my exit and he waved with a thumbs up,,,pretty cool group of kids I thought.
    dude!!!! i'm in tears....that's the best story EVER!

Glad to see some locals around. Can't wait for this weather to clear.

I'm just glad I wasn't in another car that night, I would have gotten smoked. Not sure why the guy picked me out of 500 cars in the middle of a cruise inn. Guess we were one of the few left that late at night.

I have another good (test of speed) incident that happened in my wifes jeep early last year,,,this one almost started a riot I think and turned out to be pretty funny, but I may have mentioned it already here.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

nicest kill story i've heard in a very long while!!! what does your chevelle have done?

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I agree. I don't respond to too many of these kill stories, but this is a great one. well-written, and old-school is still cool in my book!

Chris

Thanks. It's getting harder to beat this new stuff though. And these kids are building some pretty fast cars now. I don't know how they do it, the money alone on some of that stuff has to be more than I have in the entire car it seems. Although it was fun to beat something that should have been a relatively quick car, there is still alot of cars around here faster than my junk.
    Mine is nothing special, pretty basic really as to what you might find on something like this. I assembled a .030 over 454 with AFR heads, custom roller cam, built to run on pump gas. I also built the 400 turbo with a custom Coan converter and 4.10 gears. It's a pretty docile car to drive, has went a best of 11.40 at 118 mph with a race weight of 4,108 lbs. Car has more in it,,,and I've made some changes, better carburator, larger headers and exhaust system, and yet another custom ground camshaft and some more suspension tweaks. But I haven't been back to the track for a new time. Hoping all the changes might pick me up another tenth or two.

If I had the money to paint it again, I would probably put the car on a diet with some subtle fiberglass peices here and there. If I could knock 3-400 lbs. out of the car it would be a legit 10 second ride I think. Just takes more money right? Ugh!

I'll post my wifes jeep encounter later. That turned out to be a huge scuffle among some friends that turned out rather funny. I just don't have time right now to type it. Give me a few hours.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-21-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

nice kill, good story

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

the eagle talon AWD is pretty fast from when they where released but wut people should do and they dont realize it unless there a big Eagle/mitsubishi fan is that eh motor in there is a 4g63 that they put in all the evos, but from what many people said is that you can take the head from the evo and put it on the talon and then put on a 20g turbo or which ever one is from the new evo 8's and they should be really fast, only one ive seen was a guy off this forum who did that but never any specs or times he ran on the 1/4....what part of ohio you from and what kind of firebird you have.

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

i honstely dont know why it double posted for me but sry on that.

rapter34
    My first car was a AWD Turbo Talon. Great little car. i use to own up on all the other ricers and V6's all day long. they Launch like crazy but also are really unreliable with 100,000 miles on it I was having to replace a lot of stuff.

I am down near the Cincinnati area. My firebird is a 70 ram air III formula.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

so nice

Thread Information