Thread: K20 Take Down

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

K20 Take Down

Last week i raced my buddy's N/A K20-Swapped Honda Accord hatchback. We went from 1st gear at about 25-30. I immediately jumped about half a car by 2nd gear. Throughout 2nd and 3rd gear i barely pulled another quarter car, and threw a code haha. By the time we shut down somewhere around 130 (all i know is i had just started 5th gear) all i had gained was a car length, maybe a little more. We both had one passenger with us, and i was content with the results. I know those K-series motors haul some major ass haha

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

What mods do you got done and what the hell is a k20 out of?????
    i dont know anything about hondas besides TYPE R haha

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

My mods at the time were: Brand new BFG G-Force Sport Tires, 140k miles, Whisper Lid, Smooth Bellows, 85mm MAF, Koni Single Adjustable Front Shocks, Bilstein Non-Adjustable Rear Shocks, Thicker Front and Rear Sway Bars, B&M Short Shifter, Centerforce Stage 2 Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, and a Loud Mouth 1 Cat-Back.

Since then: Pacesetter Race LT's, TSP ORY, Removed A/C Belt, Removed EGR, Removed AIR, and Dyno Tune.

However, at the dyno tune my car was running so lean the people told me the only reason my engine hadn't melted a piston was that it wasn't getting enough fuel to heat up enough....So they wouldn't do a full run, and i was left guessing with 340 ft lbs of torque, and an estimated 350-360rwhp. And i'm now waiting for my new Walbro 255 fuel pump to arrive haha

And honestly i have no clue other than knowing the b and k series import motors are pretty quick, and the k series being retarted fast, especially with turbos

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

um if you are making 350-360 than that is a happy ass dyno with only lid and exhaust

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

It was a dynojet. And we all know how much hp varies stock from ls1 to ls1, maybe i just got lucky who knows. But like i said that rwhp was estimated, as they only tested halfway up the powerband due to my bad fuel pump and possibly bad fuel filter. My fuel pressure was half of what it should be stock.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

We will know for sure in a few weeks when i get my walbro fuel pump and new filter in, and retune it

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    We will know for sure in a few weeks when i get my walbro fuel pump and new filter in, and retune it
    nice...you really dodged a bullet...if i were you ..id do a tear down and investigate your rings and such...imho

Last week i raced my buddy's N/A K20-Swapped Honda Accord hatchback. We went from 1st gear at about 25-30. I immediately jumped about half a car by 2nd gear. Throughout 2nd and 3rd gear i barely pulled another quarter car, and threw a code haha. By the time we shut down somewhere around 130 (all i know is i had just started 5th gear) all i had gained was a car length, maybe a little more. We both had one passenger with us, and i was content with the results. I know those K-series motors haul some major ass haha
    Most of the older Accords weigh in at about the same weight as the current RSX/Civic the K20/24 come in today. That being said, if the car is setup right, the results should be similar. With that being said, if the car was just a basic swap with some bolt ons and tuning, with your "estimated horsepower output" you should have pulled him pretty good.

I would definitely be taking a look at your car to see what's wrong with it, or he has a bit more modifications than he's telling you, like a small shot of nitrous. I know what K20s are capable of, and I've help build a friend's turbocharged K20 Civic street car that ran mid 10s. A basic K20 setup in a relatively heavy Accord isn't going to be all that impressive. It needs to go in a lighter model, i.e. Civic.

Talk to your buddy and see what he has done, then go from there. You should not be getting run down by all motor Accords!

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

It wasn't an accord it was a civic my mistake. And I do not have the funds for a tear down unfortunately or else I would check out my block.

98' trans am

It wasn't an accord it was a civic my mistake. And I do not have the funds for a tear down unfortunately or else I would check out my block.
    what funds do you need besides new head gaskets ..basically

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Labor. I can't do that... Haha

98' trans am

Labor. I can't do that... Haha
    yeah you can..shit is easy..just a few bolts.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Come help me then haha. I have access to every tool you can think of, I'm just not experienced enough to tear apart a block like that. I'm good for doing exhaust and other bolt on stuff

Thread Information