Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Corvette

How do i beat a Terminator

I have a black on black 98 Vette. I hear all these horror stories about how fast these 03-04 Cobras are. there are 2 of them in town that are modded, one more than the other. What bolt ons would i need to have the edge? I'm looking into full length headers and the Borla Cat Back, and probally the Vera Ram cold air induction, and 3.90 gears. Should that be enough?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

deff. for the intake and exhaust, but you'll also need a cam and might as well do head work with valve train work while you got it apart, then you'll be just as fast as a stock one, but a modded one i'm not sure.

none
    none

You should first begin in steps. If you have not taken it to the track, start by getting a base line run. You should be in the low thirteen high twelve, depending on your transmission (M6-or auto). Cobras usually run low 13s to mid 12s, depending on the driver. With headers, exhaust, CAI, you should be in the mid 12s very comfortably, remember, you are much lighter than the Cobra (500lbs if not more). Then go with a cam and ported heads. Do a search there are a lot of heads available for the Vette. With just a cam, you should be able to run with a mildly modified Cobra. You will need heads in order to run with a ported Cobra, and a 100 shot to run with a KB Cobra. Don't forget about tires, because putting the power to the ground is half the battle. Some people have beaten modified Cobras with just cam, headers, and exhaust. If you are Auto, get a stall converter and make sure your cam matches. I went through the same thing with my GTO. i wanted to be ready for Cobras, so I installed HPE-S cam, American Racing Headers, Flowmasters, pullies and a tune. I am putting down 440rhp, 415rwt. I am currently working on 150 shot, so I want to be ready for anything. My best time is 12.4 @115. This is without drag tires. So I know your Vette will fly once you fininsh it.

A 100 shot should suffice w intake and catback, vararam.

Black
    1998 Corvette

I Bought some black C5 ZO6 wheels and threw new Toyo RA1's all around, 275s up front and 305s on back. so the tires should be ok

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

If you run one, make sure you insist on going from a dig. A Vette is far supperior off the line than a Termy. I know form experiance with both cars. A Termy is hard to launch, especially a modded one. So you will gain some ground if you go from a dead stop. From a roll, even a 20 mph punch a Termy is a bad MOFO.

As far as mods. I would do your basics first, KNN CAI, full exhaust, then a good tune will help, Dont put gears in the vette, please. They are geared perfect already. Especially a 6 speed. The C5 responds well to N2O, if you want to go that way. But to beat a Stock Terminator you will only need around 400 horse, So some basic bolt ons will get you to that ZO6 level performance you need to be at. A modded Termy, you will need Heads/Cam or a charger, or a 150 shot of NOS. Depending on how modded it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleBlackC5
    I hear all these horror stories about how fast these 03-04 Cobras are...
    They're very nice cars, but it's the earlier, lighter, Mustangs, with the Termy engines swapped into them that you need to watch out for...

I'm looking into full length headers...
    Make damn sure you go w/Kooks.

Borla Cat Back, and probally the Vera Ram cold air induction, and 3.90 gears. Should that be enough?
    Against two modded (unknown mods to boot) Terminator's? Not on your life bro. You'll need a cam to put up a fight, heads and cam if your looking for the win....

red
    2000 WS6

I have been really busy lately and have not been on here for over two months. The first time I come back I notice that Preston still has the best avatars.

Black
    1998 Corvette

Ok what is the best Head/cam Combo... And why are kooks the best headers? i have been hearing good things about pace setters.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The very first thing you should do is visit a Tech Forum.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleBlackC5 View Post
    Ok what is the best Head/cam Combo... And why are kooks the best headers? i have been hearing good things about pace setters.
    pacesetters are the best for the money, just like kooks. it all depends on stainless or coated, and the amount of money you have to play with or want to use.

there is no best heads/cam combo. it has to be your personal preference for what youre going to use the car for. give us some more details. street car? full drag? half and half? big power? big torque? cruiser? 9 second monster?
    details......

People have had excellent results with Pace-Setters, but I'm one of those who believe if your going to build your car (especially a vette), build it right, and go stainless....

As for H/C combo, it's always based on owner preference. How fast you looking to go? How much you looking to spend? Know how to tune, or know a credible tuner?

... can give you a naturally aspirated 10 second combo, that will idle all day long, with the A/C on. What are your goals? Want a rumpity-rump, or tame idle?

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

yeah, what we said.....

Black
    1998 Corvette

i want mid to high 11's, its not a daily driver and i park it in the winter. i plan on about 5k to 8k into the motor for parts. Granted this buildup will be over the next few years but it would be nice to have a list to be working twards completeing. and pls explain why Stainless would be better than Ceramic coated? Thanks and you guys are awsome so far.

Mid to high elevens is very easy, provided you know how to shift a manual, and/or buy the correct stall speed converter. If your not boosting your application, I'd consider working over the stock LS1 heads. As for the cam, there are quite a few you can go with, while remaining totally street legal, and sounding stock. The rest of the money can be used on other things (and you'll have plenty left over lol)....

i want mid to high 11's, its not a daily driver and i park it in the winter. i plan on about 5k to 8k into the motor for parts. Granted this buildup will be over the next few years but it would be nice to have a list to be working twards completeing. and pls explain why Stainless would be better than Ceramic coated? Thanks and you guys are awsome so far....
    There's more to Kooks LTH's than just them being stainless steel. Not only will they (stainless) out last your car, your guaranteed the right fitment from the get go, not to mention their customer service being second to none....

Again, Pacesetter has some quality headers, and they come (optional) ceramic coated, which help them last longer than non-coated headers. However, they don't last as long as stainless steel, and their Y-Pipe, on occassion, needs to be modified (due to fitment issues). Some people might say, "hey, no biggie, just have it heated, and bent". I on the other hand expect quality the minute I lay down my cash!

Get a 100 shot wet kit, cost 8 to 900 bucks.

In the rare occasion you find a modded cobra beta you regularly just up the ante w other mods. Throwin that kinda money at your car to just beat a Cobra is going to be overkill.

Black
    1998 Corvette

i built a 1968 Coronet R/T Clone and sold it to buy this car. i had well over 8k into that motor. i just like tinkering around with motors. i just need to learn how to make these faster. if i can do it all for 4k then thats even better than i thought. i found a buildup based off of the AFR Mongoose Heads that i think im going to go with. they claim 530hp/475ftlb With the AFR heads, Fast intake, Cam 224/228 @ .050 .581 lift, LTH 1 3/4, 78mm ported throttle body, and a cat back. and i may have to Nitrous it on top of that just because i always wanted to nitrous something.

Opinions??? Dont hold back either i want to know.

Thanks again guys

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleBlackC5 View Post
    i may have to Nitrous it on top of that just because i always wanted to nitrous something.
    I too have always wanted to Nitrous something, actually I have always wanted to be blown by twins...............you know twin turbos, One day I will have twin turbos on a V8 and it will push 900 horse to the ground!!!! One day!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

blown by twins is like the greatest thing ever.

i found a buildup based off of the AFR Mongoose Heads that i think im going to go with. they claim 530hp/475ftlb With the AFR heads, Fast intake, Cam 224/228 @ .050 .581 lift, LTH 1 3/4, 78mm ported throttle body, and a cat back....
    Well, I'd have to see more than what was quoted (in regards to those cam specs), to believe that they attained those FWHP numbers with an LS1. Not that it isn't possible, though....

As for nitrous, you won't even need it bro. Have you ever ridden shotgun in an LS1, putting down close to 500-RWHP, with the power literally being put to the ground...?

I have a hard time looking at my gauges when I blast down the quarter mile as it is, let alone if I installed some spray to go along with it lmao...

Thread Information