Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Guess I beat a Talon

I was talking to a guy at work one day. He told me that we had raced from a stoplight. Said we started out even, but I pulled him a car length every time he shifted (I have a 97 Formula auto, he has a first gen Talon awd 5 speed). Pissed him off so much he spent about $10k on the car making it faster...
    Funny thing was, I did not even remember it!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

should have asked him for the 50 bucks he never paid you for losing the race

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

yea ive had simular stuff happen to me. i always want to say...wait i wasted my gas on that? are you sure it was me?

2001 Ls1
    How the hell can you dump 10k into a 1g dsm at once????

That'd buy like an entire stroker motor, gt35 turbo, and tranny to boot. Maybe he should get driving lessons if everytime he shifted you pulled a whole car

Nice kill and um,forgetting

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

I was amazed. He rebuilt the entire motor to hold up to 400+ hp, replaced the transaxle, replaced the rear end he blew out, put a big turbo on it, and a HUGE intercooler. Plus all the extra stuff that goes along with such a huge increase in power, wheels, tires, brakes, etc. Now he is in the 11s, with a car that is now less than reliable. But he's happy.

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Now he is in the 11s, with a car that is now less than reliable. But he's happy.

This is what DSM ownership is all about. Believe me, I've owned many over the years and currently have 3. Still, $10K in an AWD DSM should have it running low 10's, if not high 9's. Not for long but it should get you there a couple of times. I'm wondering if the $10K included a car trailer and something to tow it back from the track with when it breaks. Those final two mods should definitely be factored in. The car trailer and tow vehicle should be one of the first mods of DSM ownership if you're really trying to go fast. Or quick as the proper wording should be.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
    This is what DSM ownership is all about. Believe me, I've owned many over the years and currently have 3. Still, $10K in an AWD DSM should have it running low 10's, if not high 9's. Not for long but it should get you there a couple of times. I'm wondering if the $10K included a car trailer and something to tow it back from the track with when it breaks. Those final two mods should definitely be factored in. The car trailer and tow vehicle should be one of the first mods of DSM ownership if you're really trying to go fast. Or quick as the proper wording should be.

99 Z28

Quick is indeed the proper wording. Quick is a measure of time, fast is a measure of speed (or lack of). It is a pet peeve of mine when people think they're always synonymous with each other. While they can be relative... anyway--

DSMs have a threshold where they can be made very quick (and fast) for relatively little money. Once you plateau, however, it starts getting expensive and reliability takes a nosedive. I had a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX that hadn’t hit that plateau, but was still running low 13s with less than $1200 of parts thrown at it. I’m looking for another AWD 1G. If you want to play, you have to pay.

That said, they are fun and affordable cars that can be respectable in a race. Boost + AWD rocks.

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

They can be made more than respectable. Those little suckas can haul the mail. Unfortunately, my threshold for performance is well beyond what they can be made to reliably run unless your initials are JS. DSMer's know who I'm talking about. I think Shep has made a pact with the Devil or something. The drivetrain just won't hold up for long once you get it solidly in the 10's. It's bigger brother the Stealth TT/3000 GT VR-4 seems to have an even more fragile drivetrain. I know. I'm currently playing with a Stealth TT and it's running me broke trying to keep it going and I'm not even at 500 AWHP yet.

99 Z28

They can be made more than respectable. Those little suckas can haul the mail. Unfortunately, my threshold for performance is well beyond what they can be made to reliably run unless your initials are JS. DSMer's know who I'm talking about. I think Shep has made a pact with the Devil or something. The drivetrain just won't hold up for long once you get it solidly in the 10's. It's bigger brother the Stealth TT/3000 GT VR-4 seems to have an even more fragile drivetrain. I know. I'm currently playing with a Stealth TT and it's running me broke trying to keep it going and I'm not even at 500 AWHP yet.
    John Shepard makes awesome transmissions. His maroon car has been around forever and keeps getting quicker and quicker.

My 5-speed was rebuilt by AMS/AutoMotoSports and was butter-smooth. I wasn't making 10 seconds worth of power though. AMS does some awesome stuff with 4G63s too.

I'm trying to get a super-clean black 91 TSi AWD next weekend. I like the 90-91 styling better for some reason. It'll really be a winter car this winter then I'll start modding it.

3/S Getrag transmissions are mad $$$. And they have a lot more mass to get moving too.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Guess I am going to have to look up some DSMs now that I have installed my STS. Wonder what the outcome will be now?
    kk

Quote Originally Posted by Vision
    Quick is indeed the proper wording. Quick is a measure of time, fast is a measure of speed (or lack of).
    That would be an opinion. If a car traps 130mph yet runs 10s and a car traps 130mph and runs 11s, the car that runs 10s would be considered a faster car. Now if you have a car that traps 140mph but still runs 11s, that 10 second car would still be faster. It is taking that 140 mph car 11 seconds to hit an average of 140mph at the track but it is taking the other car only 10 seconds to hit the average speed of 130mph. Now the arguement comes into play about racing from a roll, that is a totally different area of "racing", if you want to call it that. The car with the most power and the better power to weight ratio will win.

quick and fast are just words. People can use them differently to describe a car and still mean the same thing.
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 10-17-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information