Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Got a race lined up, want some opinions

One of my co-workers has a KZ 1000, I think it's a 1980 model, bone stock that he wants to run my Z-28 with. I'm not big on racing bikes but this moron keeps running his mouth saying how fast his bike is and how slow my camaro is. I've decided it's time to hit the 1/8th mile strip and just see who's got what, my car is very strong so I think I'll get him in the 1/8th mile mainly being he's very inexperienced with motorcycles. I've got a LS6 intake, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, MSD wires, SLP airlid, powershot filter, bellow, and a few other little go fast parts, soon to have my cam and valvesprings installed with a 3,000 RPM stall. Think I'll beat him or do I need more mods to handle a stock 80 model bike? Throw some input in, I'm not that familiar with bikes, thanks...

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i think he will win i feel you need a little longer to catch up/ pass him. try to get it on video, and good luck. look at the weight to start. he should get a good jump on you. from a roll it may be closer.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

We'll see what happens, I got a feeling I'll get a better reaction time and 60ft since he's only been riding for a week or two. It takes some skill to roll out of the clutch on a bike without flipping it over on top of you. If he beats me then we'll go from a roll. This will be my first race against a bike, should be fun, if I lose then it's an excuse to mod some more. I wonder what those bikes run the quarter mile in?

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1
    We'll see what happens, I got a feeling I'll get a better reaction time and 60ft since he's only been riding for a week or two. It takes some skill to roll out of the clutch on a bike without flipping it over on top of you. If he beats me then we'll go from a roll. This will be my first race against a bike, should be fun, if I lose then it's an excuse to mod some more. I wonder what those bikes run the quarter mile in?
    My guess is it's somewhere in the 11s. I hope that guy rides safe - a 1000cc bike and 2 weeks of riding experience usually means "statistic".

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lol
    he's gonna rev it to like 11k and dump the clutch, and the bike is gonna flip out right from underneath him, just hope he doesnt launch it or crash it right into you
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    lol
    he's gonna rev it to like 11k and dump the clutch, and the bike is gonna flip out right from underneath him, just hope he doesnt launch it or crash it right into you

I hope not, the boy ain't too bright! We'll see what happens, by the numbers he should take me but I'm pretty confident

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

keep us posted

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

I sure will

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Our 1/8th mile track doesn't let bikes and cars on the track at the same time. You sure they're gonna let y'all do this?

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

If the guy has got half a brain on him I think he'll take you from a dig, you're gonna need to take this from a roll to win this one. Good luck...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I don't race bikes. That is like me going up to a transfer truck and asking for race. 500 lbs (more like 300 for newer bikes) vs 3500 lbs, puhleeez. Tell that aggravating numbnut that there are plenty of street bikes out there that will pull the paint off that 25 year old rag when they go by him.

That said, if you must race him, race him in the 1/4 or somewhere you can get well into fourth gear. Those older bikes are heavy, and down on power. You might whup his ass. I give you a 75% chance of victory.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
    Our 1/8th mile track doesn't let bikes and cars on the track at the same time. You sure they're gonna let y'all do this?

They'll let us run, might get him to go from a roll though after reading this. I would have a better chance on top end especially as hard as my car pulls up top. We are racing next Thursday night so I'll post the results

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    I don't race bikes. That is like me going up to a transfer truck and asking for race. 500 lbs (more like 300 for newer bikes) vs 3500 lbs, puhleeez. Tell that aggravating numbnut that there are plenty of street bikes out there that will pull the paint off that 25 year old rag when they go by him.

That said, if you must race him, race him in the 1/4 or somewhere you can get well into fourth gear. Those older bikes are heavy, and down on power. You might whup his ass. I give you a 75% chance of victory.

I don't race bikes either but this guy keeps on talking shit so we're going to settle it. Consider this though, 70 hp vs. 350hp. This is just for fun mainly. Can't wait till next week!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I don't race bikes either but this guy keeps on talking shit so we're going to settle it. Consider this though, 70 hp vs. 350hp. This is just for fun mainly. Can't wait till next week!
    Tell him to put his money where his mouth is. Let's see, 70 hp for a 500 lb bike (I think those are real heavy), and 350 for a 3500 lb car, that adds up to 7.14 hp/lb for the bike, and 10 hp/lb for the car. RACE HIS ASS!

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

that bike has to have more then 70 hp. i still think he will win. unless a roll. i could be wrong and i hope i am but just need to be realistic.

Legend Lime
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    Tell him to put his money where his mouth is. Let's see, 70 hp for a 500 lb bike (I think those are real heavy), and 350 for a 3500 lb car, that adds up to 7.14 hp/lb for the bike, and 10 hp/lb for the car. RACE HIS ASS!
    Maybe I'm having a long day and am totally screwed up...but

wouldnt that be 7lbs per HP for the bike and 10lbs per HP for the car? That makes things a little different.

registered cobra eater

black
    2000 Trans Am

gotta love mustang drivers hanging out on an ls1 site correcting people.... nothin like it

Legend Lime
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by KillerTA00
    gotta love mustang drivers hanging out on an ls1 site correcting people.... nothin like it
    Sorry, didn't want the guy to go into the race with the wrong info....I apologize for correcting someone.

I was a Camaro owner looooonnnggg before I was a Mustang owner so please be nice.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by s197
    Maybe I'm having a long day and am totally screwed up...but

wouldnt that be 7lbs per HP for the bike and 10lbs per HP for the car? That makes things a little different.
    My bad, misplaced units! DON'T RACE HIS ASS!

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

It doesn't matter to me if I win or not, hell, it's a bike. I just want to run him so he'll shut the hell up. I know for a fact that I can get him on top end, btw, after doing some research a 1980 KX1000 only made 70hp, it's just a plain old bike with a carbed inline four

Thread Information