Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

black
    1996 ws6 ram air formula

formula ws6 ram destroys svt cobra

i have a 1996 firebird formula ws6 with factory ram air. black 6spd with tan leather. has flowmaster exhaust msd ignition system granatelli maf new clutch new 285 gforces n the rear. just destroyed a 2003 svt cobra yesterday. this guy followed me around town and finally i said forget what my wife says n the passenger seat i gotta teach the stang boys a lesson lol. i let him get on it n pull a lil...then dropped it down to 3rd n it was all over after that. lol you could c him shiftin his heart out n it lookd like his car just stopped. he tried revenge several times. i told him he wasted perfectly good premium. lol.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Nice kill, hard to believe, but it was a nice story.

A 305 Horse engine LT1 vs a 390 Horse Cobra, I dont think so.
    Ive owned 2 LT1 Trans Am 6 speeds with basic bolt ons, I couldnt even beat an auto LS1 Vette. And remember the LT1 was NOT under rated like the LS1, so it really has the advertised 285 horsepower regular/305 horsepower Ram Air.

96 Formula is a 14 sec car
    03 Cobra is a 12 sec car

Your story is probally true, but you are wrong about the year or make of the other car, or the other guy was not racing you. Or maybe posible the other guy missed a gear or 2, but you said he tried you several times with the same results.

Sorry to be the non believer, but I dont believe the physics of the scenario.

'03 Mach 1

Grey
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by blakdws6formula View Post
    i have a 1996 firebird formula ws6 with factory ram air. black 6spd with tan leather. has flowmaster exhaust msd ignition system granatelli maf new clutch new 285 gforces n the rear. just destroyed a 2003 svt cobra yesterday. this guy followed me around town and finally i said forget what my wife says n the passenger seat i gotta teach the stang boys a lesson lol. i let him get on it n pull a lil...then dropped it down to 3rd n it was all over after that. lol you could c him shiftin his heart out n it lookd like his car just stopped. he tried revenge several times. i told him he wasted perfectly good premium. lol.
    You had a passenger, let him get the jump & you blew past him with 100+ less hp?

Sounds fishy to me...

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

haha u raced a mustang GT of the same body style with cobra badges on it.....even IF and IF it was an 01 cobra he woulda at the VERY minium kept up with u......sry bro.....03-04 snakes would eat u ALIVE from a roll.......shoulda made your story from a dig and said he sat and spun for yrs to make it believable

It's a shame a guy can't post a win on here without people bashing about how it can't be possible. Anything is possible on the street. I have beaten plenty of cars on the street I shouldn't have,,,even a car in particular that was a friend of mine, he is packing 100 more HP than I am (we have both been to the dyno) and I can take him from a dig and a roll. I even beat an 11 second mustang in my 13 second LT1 jeep on the street,,,it can happen,,,been there done that. And you never know how sneaky some of these street racing veterans can be,,,not telling you everything etc....
    Dyno's are great for tuning and HP numbers are nice to have but they don't mean squat when the green flag waves. Whether it happened or not,,,it's still nice to see an older LT1 out there gettin it done. Larry.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's a shame a guy can't post a win on here without people bashing about how it can't be possible. Anything is possible on the street. I have beaten plenty of cars on the street I shouldn't have,,,even a car in particular that was a friend of mine, he is packing 100 more HP than I am (we have both been to the dyno) and I can take him from a dig and a roll. I even beat an 11 second mustang in my 13 second LT1 jeep on the street,,,it can happen,,,been there done that. And you never know how sneaky some of these street racing veterans can be,,,not telling you everything etc....
    Dyno's are great for tuning and HP numbers are nice to have but they don't mean squat when the green flag waves. Whether it happened or not,,,it's still nice to see an older LT1 out there gettin it done. Larry.
    enjoy your kill............real drivers rule the pavment...many on here think the most hp is on auto pilot for the win

pewter

he raced from 3rd gear on..kinda hard to fuck up shifting 3rd to 4th in a roll race with ANY car.....theres no chance in hell his nearly stock lt1 beat an 03-04 cobra in the race he describes.......its a shame on here we bash mustangs the way we do on here..especialy terms ....if he said he beat up on an 01-04 z06 like that everyone and there mother would be callin bs

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    he raced from 3rd gear on..kinda hard to fuck up shifting 3rd to 4th in a roll race with ANY car.....theres no chance in hell his nearly stock lt1 beat an 03-04 cobra in the race he describes.......its a shame on here we bash mustangs the way we do on here..especialy terms ....if he said he beat up on an 01-04 z06 like that everyone and there mother would be callin bs
    were you there ???

pewter

nope......going by what he told us in his story.....nearly stock lt1 beat a term cobra over and over from a roll...thats what im reading....maybe i missed the part where he has a supercharger or some juice???

black
    1996 ws6 ram air formula

it might not have been an 03 thought it was but i definitely raped him. it was red wit tan leather interior. my torque was what pulled him and to tell u the truth i thought i would get ate 2. i do not lie and will tell when i lose. i will even go as far as 2 admit an import almost pulled me. it was a tsi..guess i underestimated awd. once again was pretty sure it was an 03 but i do know around that year svt cobra wit a stick..i will swear on my life on that.

pewter

nice kill then

I'm not going to bash any car,,,the same principle would apply if he beat an LS1 4th gen,,,or an old school muscle car,,,my point is this....so many people nowadays put an emphasis on HP numbers,,,"what did your car make",,,well mine made this blah blah blah,,,but it really doesn't mean squat.
    I have a 638 hp chevelle,,,doesn't mean I can't be beat by a car making 500 hp. None of this matters. I just enjoy reading this section no matter what is winning or losing,,,,this is supposed to be fun guys,,,geeewiz. Larry.

Although the story sounds fishy...

I don't care what your HP is, if you cant put it to the ground its worthless. A fine tuned suspension is worth more in my book than big HP numbers with bad traction.

Just the other day I finished working on a 80 Camaro with a 383 stroker. That car sounded down right nasty. However he can't get the power to the ground. He wouldn't shut his mouth so me and his buddy rode out into the country for a little run. Needless to say he lost repeatedly because he couldn't launch the car.

pewter

agreed but this kid was talkin about a 3rd gear roll race and a 150hp deficit....lol big diff.......i wouldnt make claims in any way if the race was from a dead stop to 60 or 80 or somthing....i got beat by an lt1 in my near stock 99 z28 .....lt1 vert as a matter a fact...but he had 410s and drag rads when we talked at the next light....i nearly caught him by 80mph but he had way to much of a head start....and we hit traffic

black
    1996 ws6 ram air formula

yeah i think having the ws6 suspension helps out because i had a 6 spd 96 ta and it was a lot slower than my new bird. then again 285s hook a lot better than my old 245s. that 2nd gen camaro sounds nice like you said i almost bought an 80 wit 500hp but it wouldnt hook for anything.

Lakewood

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

he couldve been in the wrong gear or it couldve been a a cobra badged GT, either way good kill...

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Anything can happen on the street, and only you and the other driver know the story.

Then again, any 99-04 Mustang (V6 or GT) can be easily made to look like a Cobra, and many do.

...my torque was what pulled him...
    Common mispercetption. LT1s do make good power down low. However, low rpm torque is only good at low rpm. If you race from 1500-3000 rpm - and require your opponent to do the same thing - then you have the advantage. Otherwise, it makes no difference.

For racing, Torque matters most when multiplied by RPM. We call that horsepower.

One more quick thing....a 96 LT1 WS6 makes 335 lb/ft torque at 3200 rpm. An 03/04 Cobra makes 390 lb/ft torque at 3500 rpm - meaning there is no torque advantage for the LT1 anyway (at any rpm).

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

yeah i think having the ws6 suspension helps out because i had a 6 spd 96 ta and it was a lot slower than my new bird. then again 285s hook a lot better than my old 245s. that 2nd gen camaro sounds nice like you said i almost bought an 80 wit 500hp but it wouldnt hook for anything.
    Neaither car should have had trouble hooking up in 3rd gear, you dont need 285's to get traction in 3rd. As long as your horsepower is under 400 rwhp. Also your WS6 suspension is not as good as his SVT suspension, especially if it was an 03 model. Suspension doesnt even matter on either car at those speeds in a straight race. In the twisties, yes, but still the 96 WS6 wasnt as good as the 98-02 WS6 models.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

it might not have been an 03 thought it was but i definitely raped him. it was red wit tan leather interior. my torque was what pulled him and to tell u the truth i thought i would get ate 2. i do not lie and will tell when i lose. i will even go as far as 2 admit an import almost pulled me. it was a tsi..guess i underestimated awd. once again was pretty sure it was an 03 but i do know around that year svt cobra wit a stick..i will swear on my life on that.
    If your not sure it was an 03, then dont say, "I destroyed an 03 SVT"
    Just say I killed a Cobra, not sure the year, Hell a 95 Cobra is slow as hell. I only question your story because you were sure it was an 03 SVT.
    Either way, you raced a car and won, good kill, just get to know your enemy a little better. just my opinion.

Thread Information