Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duramax???

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Duramax???

Not really a kill story, althoug the Duramax driver might say differently.

So I'm the way home the other night, doing 70 in the right lane. All the suddent this D-Max comes flying up behind me, must have been doing 90. I get out of the way, and he's followed by a RX7. I'm like WTF? These guys are racing?

D-Max signals and slows to take the exit, and the RX7 flys by him. I'm taking the same exit as the truck, it's a ramp with 2 curves, one at the start, followed by a straight stretch. The exit curve is a sharp corner that puts you onto another highway, going uphill.

I, annoyed at the D-Max for coming up behind me like that, decide to give him a dose of his own medicine. At the start of the ramp he's a good distance ahead of me, but I quickly close the gap and get on his ass after the first turn. As the second turn comes up, I drop back, figuring I'll give him some room to make the turn, then I'll take it and pass him on the highway.

I guess he saw it coming, and romped on it as soon as he made the turn. I come around the turn, he's already on the highway, and he's on it too, I can tell by the black smoke he's trailing.

I romp on it, intending on catching and passing him. The car's running good, I'm passing everyone else, but I COULD NOT pull on that damn truck!!! I couldn't believe it! He wasn't running away from me, but I wasn't closing the gap very much either. Now granted, my foot wasn't flat to the floor, but still.

I had no idea those trucks were that quick. I took my foot out of it at the top of the hill when I hit 85, and he was still going.

Kinda embarrassing, actually. I blame my 2.73's.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

dont be embarrased. those trucks especially with the allison can be easily make power north of 1000 rwhp and 1000rwtq. scary fast. i know a guy with a cummins here at school with me that at only half throttle is boosting 76psi

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

lol

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

anything can be fast-- trucks too- they already have tons of power and huge engines, whats to say they can't be fast too right?

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Them duramax's when chipped are quick, I havent lost to one yet while I had a cam, but there was a couple that were very close.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Yeah, no shame in not being able to pull on one of those. My cousin works on them up in Indiana; they can definitely be fast.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah, but it is still a [I]truck.[I] Can it stop, go around a corner? They can make tons of torque, spewing all that black smoke. They think that is cool!?!?

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Yeah, but it is still a [I]truck.[I] Can it stop, go around a corner? They can make tons of torque, spewing all that black smoke. They think that is cool!?!?
    I've seen them driving pretty damn fast around corners here before; among other things too I've raced some trucks/suvs down roads and they aren't as awful at it as you'd think. I hate all the black smoke from those diesels though, but the drivers usually do think it's pretty cool - especially with stacks.

Black
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Yeah my buddy owns one of the biggest desiel shops in the country and he puts out some REAL fast trucks. he has a duramax puting out 1400 hp and almost 1900 torque! its easily one of the fastest street cars ive been in!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Still, I'll take the curves of my car. Trucks are for hauling things, not for haulin' ass IMO.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

and whats funny is that black smoke means over fueling=power loss

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Yeah, I ran a big Ford on the way to Myrtle beach with my 01 Cobra, I pulled him by a car or two to 140. That was one quick diesel, that is for damn sure. All I could see was a big ass chrome grille that filled up my rear window.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

White
    1999 SS

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    thats why theres propane injection, burns it all up! My buddies dirtymax kept up with me in the 1/8 pretty close, just chiped, exhaust and intake. He launches in 4 though. and I had to go through the water box with street tires,

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

ya dont feel bad those can be damn quick , you lovin the weather here in mn today MNLS1??

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    not in a diesel though....
    '70 Buick GSX Yellow matching #'s
    '87 Buick GN, 10.66 @ 128... looks stock
    '06 Jeep SRT8

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

Those trucks very easily can be 10sec trucks. Some of them can even pull a trailer and still roast alot of the cars on this site! I don't mean it to offend anyone, just the truth. Alot of people on here can't admit that their car can lose, hence the guys that claim to roast bikes... come on get out of here. But that's a hell of a story, just goes to show you can't underestimate anything anymore!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

There are a couple of those running around in town that can hop a 2l bottle. One pulled up next to me and my bud while cruising one day and i happened to look back and noticed a 4 inch window level tailpipe and told him to roll up his window now.. When the light turned green he eased through and dumped it in neutral. Black covered the car. So we cut him off later down the road.. lol

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

last year when i visted mexico some guy rolled up to the crappy track there, in one it was big 6.0 twin turbo I think me was pushing 80lbs9(according to him) but man was that beast fast. one thing though i wouldnt of raced it, his tires where just as tall as my car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Well, I'm very aware of how fast diesels can be. I guess I was just surprised to come upon one. From all appearances, the truck was stock. I guess that's cool, it's definitley one hell of a sleeper!

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

ive never seen a fast one in person. it takes 600-700hp for one to beat a stockish ls1 powered car. they have over 300hp and like 600tq stock and run about 15 flat

my numbers might be a tad off though

lots of people love em, i don't care for them too much. i think diesel sounds horrible and the idiots who put mufflers on them and floor it everywhere and barely move are just as bad as ricers to me
    Last edited by random-strike; 04-14-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Thread Information