Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Did I not get the memo RE: racing?

My ability to find a good race must have been killed a couple months ago! I'm going through a pretty rough dry spell in the kill section.

Over the past month, I've revved at the following and couldn't get any to bite: BMW 335i, the new Audi R8, a Ferrari F430, a couple Porsche 911's and 3 different Mustang GT's (at least it was American muscle). There have been occassional victims in a Porsche Boxter, Infinity G35 and a BMW Z4 however those don't really count.

Last night I was cruising down the highway on my way home and a guy in an obviously modded (definitely exhaust, however it's tough to tell what else) 335i passes by me. He seemed to give it a spirited blip of the throttle as he passed by me (at about 80 mph). I gladly obliged, sped up and pulled to his door, threw him a rev, dropped down a couple gears and paced him. Nothing. I tried simply honking it off -- three beeps didn't mean anything to that guy. I eventually had to slow down as I approached a car ahead of me in my lane so he pulled ahead pretty far. After getting around the other car, I caught back up, rolled down my window and tried to get his attention. He waved -- exciting, maybe now he'll play! Wrong. Again I dropped down, threw a couple more revs out at him and the guy still wouldn't bite on anything. Finally I just took off and went on about my way.

That has been the same story for the past month. I can't even begin to imagine how much nitrous I've had to purge from the line simply because I thought I was going to have a pretty cool race and I just couldn't get the other guy to take off!

Sorry for the rant, but it's driving me freaking crazy!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

I wonder if the purge played a role in the attempted races??

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

im supprised the stangs didnt want any

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

It kind of sounds like you made an ass out of yourself and no one would even give you the pleasure at that point. Sit back and relax someone like you will come up and want to race you. On a side note if I had a R8 or a 430 I wouldnt waste my time with you either.....

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    My ability to find a good race must have been killed a couple months ago! I'm going through a pretty rough dry spell in the kill section.

Over the past month, I've revved at the following and couldn't get any to bite: BMW 335i, the new Audi R8, a Ferrari F430, a couple Porsche 911's and 3 different Mustang GT's (at least it was American muscle). There have been occassional victims in a Porsche Boxter, Infinity G35 and a BMW Z4 however those don't really count.

Last night I was cruising down the highway on my way home and a guy in an obviously modded (definitely exhaust, however it's tough to tell what else) 335i passes by me. He seemed to give it a spirited blip of the throttle as he passed by me (at about 80 mph). I gladly obliged, sped up and pulled to his door, threw him a rev, dropped down a couple gears and paced him. Nothing. I tried simply honking it off -- three beeps didn't mean anything to that guy. I eventually had to slow down as I approached a car ahead of me in my lane so he pulled ahead pretty far. After getting around the other car, I caught back up, rolled down my window and tried to get his attention. He waved -- exciting, maybe now he'll play! Wrong. Again I dropped down, threw a couple more revs out at him and the guy still wouldn't bite on anything. Finally I just took off and went on about my way.

That has been the same story for the past month. I can't even begin to imagine how much nitrous I've had to purge from the line simply because I thought I was going to have a pretty cool race and I just couldn't get the other guy to take off!

Sorry for the rant, but it's driving me freaking crazy!
    Uhh...if you want a race, GO TO THE TRACK!!!.

You'll have better luck there.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

[QUOTE=98T/Aformula.;1721905]It kind of sounds like you made an ass out of yourself and no one would even give you the pleasure at that point. Sit back and relax someone like you will come up and want to race you. On a side note if I had a R8 or a 430 I wouldnt waste my time with you either.....[/QUOTE]

lol got to agree with you on that, Not everyone that drives a fast car wants to race. I barely run my vette ever.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

here is an idea, put porsche sucks or ferrari is slow in your back window, i'm sure they will bite.......nothing like pride

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    here is an idea, put porsche sucks or ferrari is slow in your back window, i'm sure they will bite.......nothing like pride

^What he said.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive noticed through the years what really makes someone race you is, just driving by them going about 30-40 mph in 2nd gear or be around 3000-4000 rpms just loud enough to annoy them. Now there will be a couple of reasons why they might race you after doing that, one would be there annoyed by the loud exhuast if yours is loud, two they might think just because you have a loud exhuast you think your SH*T is fast and they wanna put you in your place and im not saying they wont there are much faster cars out there or three they just wanna race, lol. Fact is youll never know, when i put nitrous on my 93Z i raced 4 times before my nitrous set up i would have beater civics pulling up next to me begging to race not that i would waiste my time but you get the idea. Sometimes its really luck maybe if you raced one of those cars something bad wouldve happened and thats why the races never went down either way stay safe and dont worry youll get a sucker pulling up next to you thats gonna wanna race.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

I hope your kidding, other wise you sound like an idiot. Porsche/ferrari sucking? Wow now iv heard it all. Anyone with half a brain would not bite just because of a stupid ass sticker. I would look at someone with that on there car and figure there complete trash or some imbred hick.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Uhh...if you want a race, GO TO THE TRACK!!!.

You'll have better luck there.
    I agree.............I'm actually impressed that the other drivers were smart enough not to risk mayhem on the street, especially when it's the innocents that usually pay the price.

black
    99 z28 a4

im ordering that sticker first thing 2maro morning...lol

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    It kind of sounds like you made an ass out of yourself and no one would even give you the pleasure at that point. Sit back and relax someone like you will come up and want to race you. On a side note if I had a R8 or a 430 I wouldnt waste my time with you either.....

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Could be that maybe there was something not right with their cars... too much traffic.. or in my case.. can't get another infraction or bad things would happen... but before that.. there have been several cars that wanted to.. but I didn't feel they were worth my time or gas.. so I just let them rev and gun it past me... slow down.. rev.. gun it past me.. etc... got to the point it was commical to watch.

I had something that was more general on my daily driver,,,it was a license plate frame that read,,,

"This monza eats fords and shits mopars"

That got all the attention I could have ever wanted,,,and then some.

It hangs on my wall now,,,I'm getting too old for that kind of attention.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-22-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I had something that was more general on my daily driver,,,it was a license plate frame that read,,,

"This monza eats fords and shits mopars"

That got all the attention I could have ever wanted,,,and then some.

It hangs on my wall now,,,I'm getting too old for that kind of attention.

That sounds like a pretty effective technique! I was hoping to be a little more subtle in my approach. HAHA!

I would certainly imagine that most of the folks that read in this section would know what to do if someone slowed and started to honk it off. Can you guys remember the last person you raced? I imagine it involved someone revving at you (or you at them) and/or simply honking it off or going at a stoplight.

As for the N2O purge -- that didn't come out until AFTER the attempted race. I haven't been purging pre-race -- I'm trying to do the opposite of intimidating the driver before the race!

Regarding the exotics -- I can understand that. Most of those guys aren't up for playing around on the street. In all fairness, most exotics would obliterate our LSx cars in stock form. I figure a guy in a Ferrari running a guy in a Camaro is similar (at first glance) to a guy in a Camaro running a Honda Civic. That being said, there are plenty of Camaros on the road that would hurt a Ferrari owner's feelings, just as there are plenty of Civic's out there that would hurt a Camaro owner's feelings. I'm just hoping to find that one guy on the road that's willing to lower his standards enough to run me!! Win or lose, it sure would be fun. My odds of finding that will be much better at the track.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    It kind of sounds like you made an ass out of yourself and no one would even give you the pleasure at that point. Sit back and relax someone like you will come up and want to race you.
    Fair enough. I figured a guy in a modded 335i that speeds up and feathers the throttle when passing you just for the sole purpose of making sure you hear his modded exhaust would be up for the task when the guy in the Camaro returns the favor. I was obviously wrong.

In his eyes, I might have looked like an ass. I can't explain why he did what he did -- regardless of his motivation, it's pretty clear now that he didn't want to race and (albeit disappointing) that's OK with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    That sounds like a pretty effective technique! I was hoping to be a little more subtle in my approach. HAHA!

I would certainly imagine that most of the folks that read in this section would know what to do if someone slowed and started to honk it off. Can you guys remember the last person you raced? I imagine it involved someone revving at you (or you at them) and/or simply honking it off or going at a stoplight.

As for the N2O purge -- that didn't come out until AFTER the attempted race. I haven't been purging pre-race -- I'm trying to do the opposite of intimidating the driver before the race!

Regarding the exotics -- I can understand that. Most of those guys aren't up for playing around on the street. In all fairness, most exotics would obliterate our LSx cars in stock form. I figure a guy in a Ferrari running a guy in a Camaro is similar (at first glance) to a guy in a Camaro running a Honda Civic. That being said, there are plenty of Camaros on the road that would hurt a Ferrari owner's feelings, just as there are plenty of Civic's out there that would hurt a Camaro owner's feelings. I'm just hoping to find that one guy on the road that's willing to lower his standards enough to run me!! Win or lose, it sure would be fun. My odds of finding that will be much better at the track.
    Actually we never honked our horns for races,,,,as a matter of fact I had never heard of it until I joined this forum. Must be a young crowd kind of thing.
    Back then you hung out at the burger stand and picked a car, you lined up from a stand still on a predetermined vacant road and went. None of this honking off and going at 50 mph stuff.
    Shucks even from a roll if it did happen on occasion,,,,we would just go when one or the other took off,,,no honking involved. I usually just wait or motion the other guy to go,,,and then proceed to run them down if I'm in the car capable of doing so.

Probaby why you youngin's get funny looks from older people when you honk on the highway,,,we just don't know what that means
    If ya wanna race then rev the engine or jump forward a few times,,,,that usually works for us older folks

Thread Information