Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    01 pontiac transam ws6 m6

Cobalt SS Supercharged!

i just wanted to know how everyone feels about the supercharged cobalt and has anyone ever been beat by a really supped up one or it even came close? what would it take for one to compete in the 13's sec most of us are in stock?

NBM
    '00 Z28

I raced one early April. It had a pulley, exhaust, CAI, bigger injectors, a header, and some other crap. I killed it by a ton! He had about $2500 into the car just in performance. Another $3000 in body mods.

My opinion, I don't like anything about the Cobalt or the Cobalt SS. IMO it's ugly, slow and just another example of domestic rice. Not my cup of tea.

What would it take for the Cobalt SS to run a 13? The above mods with drag radials should have you in the 13's.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

LOL...waste of craftsmanship.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

if someone was to gut it out, get some drag slicks, run a fuel management system with much more boost (idk if stock internals could handle it ), full exhaust, intake, deff in the low 13's possible high 12's

its all power to weight, the forgotten issue with most ricers is traction, they got it even worse than us sometimes, with like 300 FWHP and typically skinny tires < 235mm
    they smoke them up easily

Carbon Black Metallic
    04 GTO

I can't believe someone started a Slugbolt SS Thread!!!

black
    1999 camaro

yea but they are pretty quick of the line 4 what they r. they got like 4. 05 or 4. 08 gears. after like second gear they r pretty sad n traction is an issue. i was in a friend of mine and he was tryin to figure out how to launch n dumped it at alittle under 2,000 n did a smoke, suprized me 4 a 4 bannger

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

I would've hoped these cars would be better competition for the SRT-4.

Sounds like the Neon is kicking the crap out of these for modibility.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, SLP lid, Holley filter, Shaner S3 TB, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs, Edelbrock PHR. Moser 9" 4.11 gears.

**FOR SALE**: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60478

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by T's99BlackLs1
    yea but they are pretty quick of the line 4 what they r. they got like 4. 05 or 4. 08 gears. after like second gear they r pretty sad n traction is an issue. i was in a friend of mine and he was tryin to figure out how to launch n dumped it at alittle under 2,000 n did a smoke, suprized me 4 a 4 bannger
    To make your posts easier to read, please learn to use the word "and" instead of "n". Try to capitalize the first letter in a sentence. That'll help too.

Oh, and stay out of your friend, at least while driving.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by silverTA2002
    I would've hoped these cars would be better competition for the SRT-4.

Sounds like the Neon is kicking the crap out of these for modibility.
    I agree. The Cobalt SS, EVO's, and STI's (to name a few) are getting whipped by SRT-4's, as far as initial price and modability.

Who would have thunk MOPAR would be kicking ass and taking names when it comes to wicked 4-bangers.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Yeah those cars are kinda lame as I love rwd and its a joke that they have a cobalt and not a camaro until like 09, but if you think about it gm almost has to have a domestic rice car to compete with everyone else. The car has a nice front cradle that counteracts some torque steer and gm is switching to a turbo in the next year or so. Also the ecotec will handle increased boost levels. I'd never be caught dead buying one but some people like that type of thing I guess.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

mopar always did make a good 4 cyl, tho mitsu didnt

my family never had any problems with our mopar vehicles

2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    I agree. The Cobalt SS, EVO's, and STI's (to name a few) are getting whipped by SRT-4's, as far as initial price and modability.

Who would have thunk MOPAR would be kicking ass and taking names when it comes to wicked 4-bangers.

Yes I agree in price the srt-4 is cheaper, it's a cheap car compared to a Evo or Sti. But as for modability the Evo has more mods and makes more power.

Their motor 4g63 has been around since 1990 in the Talon. It's gone through a few changes but is still called a 4g63. A engine that has been around 17 years to a motor that came in a car for three years. Who make more parts for what car??

Let me ask you this who would give you a better run on the street a moded Evo or srt-4?
    Guys with intake full exhaust and boost controler are running mid to low 12's in a Evo. To do that in a srt-4 you need slicks and all of the above and more.

red
    00 camaro ss

I just bought one in march. I got to tell ya that it is a very fast little 4 banger for stock. As for the srt guys I have already beat on stock to stock. I know their is a factor of driver,but he didnt do that bad. And as far as mods go. OMFG there are soooo many mods available for this car. Just the stage II kit from gm ( pulley, injectors, belt, reflash) (covered under warranty) and Dr's will put it in the mid 13's. I have already beaten a 3rd gen F body on the freeway. I just whooped a turbo talon today. yesterday i stomped a 4.8 junkstang. on the freeway, and light to light.

I know everyone in here is like whoopdy do. But that is pretty impressive for a little 2.0 motor. Buy the way the motor is an ls based motor. It is an lsj and is forged!!!!!!!! except for the pistons.

Dont get me wrong, I love my camaro. But for 30mpg and it can do 145 mph. (before mods ofcourse) This car is far from rice.
    00 ss camaro, 6.0 liter iron block, 4" callies crank, 4" Mahle pistons, Howards rods, Comp cam .598/.598, ported polished heads, Fast 90mm intake and tb flp headers and y pipe, lingenfelter muffler and tips, Maf, injectors, frame connectors.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Yes, the Cobalt SS has potential. I've heard that they made the block so strong from the factory that it can support 1400 HP. That's a ton out of a stock block! Though I'll probably never know anyone who can afford to get it there it's cool to know it has the potential.

My issues with the Cobalts has nothing to do with the powertrain really. It's more an issue of styling. It just does nothing for me.

I have no problem with anyone owning one. Buy whatever makes you happy. Though, I'd hold off on singing its praises if you're going to mention the whole beating a third gen part. Those cars were pigs.

black
    1999 camaro

Sorry my English isn't perfect when typing Toneloc60. It's called slang and i ment to say i was in a friends car not a friend, ok my bad. Just trying to give my friends car some respect since he has respect for Camaros and other v8's and he just plans to keep the Cobat till the new Camaro comes out then his son gets the Cobalt.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

I have been wanting to run a stock or modded cobalt for a while now. I hardly see them on the road. I need to test out my new exedy stage 3 clutch off the line. I like how those cobalt SS look stock. Best bang for the buck is the SRT4. But only if you plan to stay under a certain power range. The AMS evo has now gone 988whp.

Torrid Red
    05 GTO

I think Dodge quit makin the Neon, so no more SRT4. Salesman told me they were brining out an SRT version of the Caliber, something like 300hp in that little car.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

There are some reveiws in mags already about the srt caliber. It does 0-60 in the high 5's and 1/4 in the high 14's.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Take the massive wing off of the Cobalt SS S/C, get some tints, and black out the headlight bezels.

It becomes one nice looking sleeper

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver
    There are some reveiws in mags already about the srt caliber. It does 0-60 in the high 5's and 1/4 in the high 14's.
    Not surprising really. Dual variable valve timing and a snowmobile clutch. Seriously, I think these things have a lot of potential. Just like on a snowmobile, you want more acceleration, all you have to do is reclutch it. I'd bet these things are going to own a lot of ricers.

Thread Information