C5 Z06 vs. exploding turbo RSXs

So yesterday, I'm riding in my buddies Corvette ZO6. We are going to dinner to meat up with some workmates. We hop on the interstate to save some time. As we're cruising along a black RSX Type S rolls up. It looked pretty good, not riced out or anything. As he lets off I hear a BOV, apparently this mystery RSX is turbo. So of course my friend drops it in 4th and punches it for a second to instigate a race. The RSX sure enough is game. My friend slowly cruises down in speed, since the traffic was fairly light, to get the car into 2nd gear. As soon as he puts it in 2nd the RSX dumps it into 2nd roasts the tires through the gear and takes off. My friend hits it but the RSX is already out. My friend hits 3rd gear we catch his speed, hit 4th and we're reeling him in slowly. He lets off. We let off at about 115mph at his door about to pull away. The RSX is pretty stout! My friend of course wants another run and drops it into 3rd. This time the RSX drops it in 3rd. The RSX starts the 3 honk. On the third honk we both hit it and we start to pull slowly in 3rd............. and then........ the RSX miss shifts and puts it back in 2nd. The RSX immediately roasts the tires, goes "bang", and falls back. He pulls over to the side of the interstate and we pull off the exit. My friend and I contemplate whether we should stop and help, but we figure he can get it towed. Oh well.

Mystery turbo RSX Type S - exploded

C5 ZO6 - parks at Outback Steakhouse and we have a tasty meal with our coworkers and a story to tell.

My friends ZO6 has headers, exhaust, intake, untuned.

The RSX looked like it was sporting a decent turbo kit. I heard the external wastegate crack open pretty loud. Hopefully he got anyway with only some bent valves, but from the way it sounded I don't think he was so lucky.
    Last edited by Superluminal; 02-23-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

ouch, yall shoulda turned around to see if he needed help

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    So yesterday, I'm riding in my buddies Corvette ZO6. We are going to dinner to meat up with some workmates. We hop on the interstate to save some time. As we're cruising along a black RSX Type S rolls up. It looked pretty good, not riced out or anything. As he lets off I hear a BOV, apparently this mystery RSX is turbo. So of course my friend drops it in 4th and punches it for a second to instigate a race. The RSX sure enough is game. My friend slowly cruises down in speed, since the traffic was fairly light, to get the car into 2nd gear. As soon as he puts it in 2nd the RSX dumps it into 2nd roasts the tires through the gear and takes off. My friend hits it but the RSX is already out. My friend hits 3rd gear we catch his speed, hit 4th and we're reeling him in slowly. He lets off. We let off at about 115mph at his door about to pull away. The RSX is pretty stout! My friend of course wants another run and drops it into 3rd. This time the RSX drops it in 3rd. The RSX starts the 3 honk. On the third honk we both hit it and we start to pull slowly in 3rd............. and then........ the RSX miss shifts and puts it back in 2nd. The RSX immediately roasts the tires, goes "bang", and falls back. He pulls over to the side of the interstate and we pull off the exit. My friend and I contemplate whether we should stop and help, but we figure he can get it towed. Oh well.

Mystery turbo RSX Type S - exploded

C5 ZO6 - parks at Outback Steakhouse and we have a tasty meal with our coworkers and a story to tell.

My friends ZO6 has headers, exhaust, intake, untuned.

The RSX looked like it was sporting a decent turbo kit. I heard the external wastegate crack open pretty loud. Hopefully he got anyway with only some bent valves, but from the way it sounded I don't think he was so lucky.
    thats one BADASS rsx
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

who knows could have made a friend, I surely wouldn't have left him there alone.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

should of helped, but other than that good kill.

Yeah, I actually wanted to go back and see if he needed help, but I wasn't driving and my friend didn't want to turn around and backtrack onto the interstate for another 15 min.

Oh well... I would have helped him out and given him a lift in my car, but in a 2 seater Corvette it wouldn't have worked. Seriously, other than standing around chatting, waiting for a toe truck.... I don't think we'd have been much help.

pewter
    2002 camaro

wow sounds like a fast rsx, it happened to me once when i had my 04 gmc 2500, i was on the highway, and it was i riced our honda accord maybe like a 95, and we went at it a few times, i beat him every time up to 100, which was my top speed, the funny thing is i had a 4" lift with 33" tires, strong 6.0 though, anyways on the last run i let off and he did the ricer flyby but kept on accelerating, untill there was a loud pop, didnt know what happend but i stopped and let him use my cell phone.

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Sounds like one quick little bastard, and you guys were probably thinking easy kill...

Sucks that he blew the motor, I probably would have headed back as well but like you said, you weren't driving.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Yeah, I actually wanted to go back and see if he needed help, but I wasn't driving and my friend didn't want to turn around and backtrack onto the interstate for another 15 min.

Oh well... I would have helped him out and given him a lift in my car, but in a 2 seater Corvette it wouldn't have worked. Seriously, other than standing around chatting, waiting for a toe truck.... I don't think we'd have been much help.
    he coulda sat in your lap

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    he coulda sat in your lap

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

sorry i had to

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

Probably just blew off an intercooler hose. It makes the car limp and makes LOUD noise. It can happen often with a lot of bolt-on kits, especially if they arent put on absolutely perfect.
    2008 Lexus IS250 AWD (sold)
    2005 EVO8 - 460awhp (sold)
    1994 Nissan Sentra XE (beater)
    2002 Electron Blue Corvette Z06
    Performance |Halltech Venom, 3:73s, LS7 Clutch
    Exterior |Chrome wheels, ECC Clear corners, Lowered, Tint

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    Probably just blew off an intercooler hose. It makes the car limp and makes LOUD noise. It can happen often with a lot of bolt-on kits, especially if they arent put on absolutely perfect.
    No, he went from 3rd to 2nd. I heard it. I know what a intercooler pipe sounds like when it blows off. I have a 10s turbo car.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

No, he went from 3rd to 2nd. I heard it. I know what a intercooler pipe sounds like when it blows off. I have a 10s turbo car.
    My cousin swears he has a 10 second turbo Colt, but it has only ever ran in the 14's since he keeps blowing his intercooler pipe... How would one fix this problem?

Anyway, nice races and sucks for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    My cousin swears he has a 10 second turbo Colt, but it has only ever ran in the 14's since he keeps blowing his intercooler pipe... How would one fix this problem?

Anyway, nice races and sucks for the OP.
    Make sure the intercooler and piping has a beveled lip on the end, and use T-clamp bolts. Make sure the intercooler is mounted via bracket to the frame, and not just hanging from the charge pipes. Also make sure the motor mounts are in good shape, because if your motor is flexing too much in the engine bay it can pull a coupler off the piping.

I found this all out the hard way, since at the time I just wanted to get the car together. You shouldn't have too many problems as long as you're running T-bolt clamps on beveled charge pipes.

Also, the car isn't a 10s car until it runs 10s. My car is capable of 9s according to the trap speed, but as it sits it's currently a 10s car. His Colt is 14s unless he can get it down the track without blowing couplers off.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Make sure the intercooler and piping has a beveled lip on the end, and use T-clamp bolts. Make sure the intercooler is mounted via bracket to the frame, and not just hanging from the charge pipes. Also make sure the motor mounts are in good shape, because if your motor is flexing too much in the engine bay it can pull a coupler off the piping.

I found this all out the hard way, since at the time I just wanted to get the car together. You shouldn't have too many problems as long as you're running T-bolt clamps on beveled charge pipes.

Also, the car isn't a 10s car until it runs 10s. My car is capable of 9s according to the trap speed, but as it sits it's currently a 10s car. His Colt is 14s unless he can get it down the track without blowing couplers off.

Yea, I know. It was a sarcastic comment...He talks so much shit, but every time we tell him to meet us at the track or bring his car down there's always something wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Yea, I know. It was a sarcastic comment...He talks so much shit, but every time we tell him to meet us at the track or bring his car down there's always something wrong with it.
    Be careful though. Those 4G63s are some wicked motors if built right, and I'm sure that Colt is very light. His only handicap is the FWD layout.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Be careful though. Those 4G63s are some wicked motors if built right, and I'm sure that Colt is very light. His only handicap is the FWD layout.
    I know, but his handicap is his brain. Again, he always has some kind of excuse why it isn't running. He told me one time that he did all the work in his driveway, then the next time I saw him e told me one of his friends owns a "shop" and did all the work for him. He also thinks he is gonna get 100 hp from a tune and I told him no way in hell unless someone tuned out 1 cylinder already

Thread Information