Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am M6

But its not a ram-air!?!?

So long story short, a friend of my (now ex)girlfriend comes in to denny's as im waiting for her to get off and starts talking to me about how his stock WRX has me after 3K rpm's because my 2000 is not a ram-air

I'm like "man ive ridden in your car before. It just doesn't have it", but i offer him a run down a two lane street by both of our houses.

So we line up at the light and its been raining earlier that day so its a little wet still. We went on the green and he was right with me while i spun in first, but once i hooked second it was about two cars, then third and he was about 6-7...

He says he wants to go one more so im game. We hit the same light and this time i have a PERFECT(considering the weather) first gear launch (my girlfriend is all screaming at me to floor it but she obviously has no idea how to handle a RWD launch on wet pavement) and roll into WOT in first, i get a bit sideways on the first-second shift and hook again, keep on it till about halfway through 3rd and hes buslengths back.....

But its not a ram-air guys...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I get that all the time, even buy a guy who had a 2002 WS6 once, he was like but mine is supposed ot be faster lol.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am M6

lol...thats pretty ridiculous from a fellow F-body owner...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

He was just some 40 year old guy who bought an automatic WS6 and thinks that the 325hp rating and the 305hp rating on our cars is real.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    thinks that the 325hp rating and the 305hp rating on our cars is real.
    lol you mean they are not???? what about the e-bay intakes that promise me to gain atleast 25hp to the wheels? :

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    lol you mean they are not???? what about the e-bay intakes that promise me to gain atleast 25hp to the wheels? :
    lol...

98T/Aformula
    I hate the guys like that lol I ran two ws6s when I was stock and took um by about two cars haha the ram air is more for looks then anything most ppl just dont undersatnd that I guess...Nice kill, always fun to walk a shit talking import...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

nice kill, that guy is an idiot. sooo glad you schooled him

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Racing in the rain or on wet streets is pretty much idiotic too, so I don't think 'that guy' has a monopoly on such things.

Anyway....about that ram-air stuff....

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Racing in the rain or on wet streets is pretty much idiotic too, so I don't think 'that guy' has a monopoly on such things.

Anyway....about that ram-air stuff....
    wow...that's really interesting stuff... I can't believe I read through all of it...

but it just proves what I've been discusing with a friend of mine all along... his dad's T/A Ram Air...doesn't feel any faster then my car...because it really isnt... (1999 just as mine, I got Lid, and Cat delete)

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What about the shakers that they have on the mach1?

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Looks, heritage, and marketing.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i do agree that ram air does not have the advantages everybody makes it out to have but, i know mine helps as it is more of a cold air system

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What about the whole "cold air" effect...since colder air is denser so there's more air per volume. Is there any gain from the ram air or mach style hoods/intakes since it's taking cold air directly from outside? Especially on a 40* day when the air is so much cooler then the air in the engine bay.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Getting cold air into the intake is good.

tater_salad
    The shaker hood on the Mach just goes around the engine into the air box. IMO, and what I've seen, it doesn't really help that much. The fact that it's a 32 valve helps it a lot more.

My buddy with a red 00 SS M6 raced another buddy in his Mach 1. The Mach lanched a little better, but by second gear, the SS raped him. They're both basically stock.

Also, I can't remember the thread, but I believe it was Nitrox28 that stated how fast the car had to be moving to fill the 600cfm scoops on the hoods of the SS/WS.6, but I can't remember how fast it was. All I remember is it was ungodly fast.
    Last edited by tater_salad; 08-26-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

just get a little gas powered weed blower and hook it up to the intake. a 60 dollar supercharger

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I read that whole thing, still ram air on our cars is just a form of a more direct cold air intake. The WS6 does have a small advantage over the stock TA. The WS6 air box has a larger opening allowing more air into the box to begin with. It is also tilted and raised for a more direct path out of the lid to the TB. I cut out my box for a larger opening in the front, made some difference but not much. Still going to take some weather stripping and seal in my lid to the hood, so no hot air from the engine compartment can get in, even if it wont increase the pressure enough to RAM AIR it in. I think beating a WS6 with a stock TA is more driver vs driver than it is car vs car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

or do the bigger openings slow the car down as in aerodynamics...

i dont think it'll make a difference, i have heard some people say this

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The car seems more responsive at anything over 2,000 RPM. What I think is that if the air way from the nostrils back is sealed and the air comming in has nowhere else to go it has to have some sort of impact on performance. I think that if the air comming in the ports at the front of the hood at say 60mph has to become compressed some what, because it has nowhere else to go. Then that air is still being pushed toward the motor because of the force of the air pushing on it as the car moves. That air is funneld into the air box/lid and then into a smaller outlet, this also has to increase the density of the air, allowning more air to be pushed in. If this idea is correct would the increase of pressure be greater than the vacuum pull of the motor? Mabey I dont know what Im thinking...but I want to believe lol

Thread Information