Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

brothers new 5.0

So I have been giving my brother shit over owning a mustang and all the usual car guy talk... even though I love the car and new 5.0 mustangs Haha. I've been trying to get him to race me but he's very hesitant Idk why but he is. I have got him into a highway race but he didn't know enough to downshift and got trashed. So my question is he right in being 'afraid' of racing me with his 11 5.0? Its a m6 I'm a4 I just don't get why he's not wanting to run them. He even asked if he'd have a chance against a new camaro. I think after his cai cat back and tune it'll make him wanna race Ahahaha Idk just wondering if I have a chance if I can launch perfect.
    2002 WS6 A4 Slp lid,
    longtube headers w/ high flow cats,
    loudmouth exhaust, SLP y-pipe,
    799 Heads, TSP Tv2, Dual valve springs, titanium retainers,
    Chromoly pushrods, 12 Bolt rear 3.73 gears
    torque thrust II black 17-9.5" front 17-10" rear

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

maybe it's because he doesn't like to race?!? Not everyone likes to do so or has the skill to do it safely (more the later then the former).

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Without gears and a converter you may have trouble beating a 5.0 6m. Keep trying, maybe he will give you another chance at victory.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

I do have 3.73 gears but was still looking at a 3-3400 stall. But on the other hand I think he just likes the car for a cruiser. Can't get a race with s 5.0 but every jackass with a 4.6 revs at me around here :/ but just wondering what the outcome might be if we ever went to a track thanks guys

Your car is fairly stock, I'd venture to say you might get whipped if he can drive it. Darn things trap about 110 or better and can easily dip into the 12's in stock form. They pretty much have it all over the new camaro's if he's wondering, providing the new camaro is also stock.

My neighbor bought one, and we played. In my wifes 6speed SS, baby cam, headers etc...I've gone 12.60's in the car at 112 mph on street tires. His 5.0 was fresh off the lot and we were neck and neck.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Your car is fairly stock, I'd venture to say you might get whipped if he can drive it. Darn things trap about 110 or better and can easily dip into the 12's in stock form. They pretty much have it all over the new camaro's if he's wondering, providing the new camaro is also stock.

My neighbor bought one, and we played. In my wifes 6speed SS, baby cam, headers etc...I've gone 12.60's in the car at 112 mph on street tires. His 5.0 was fresh off the lot and we were neck and neck.
    damn that's quick for a factory car around 30,000. his is also a 2011 so it is the 415 or whatever 5.0 idk if they got faster having the extra ten ponies or what but for sure it's a cool car. makes me wish I would've bought it now...

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    damn that's quick for a factory car around 30,000. his is also a 2011 so it is the 415 or whatever 5.0 idk if they got faster having the extra ten ponies or what but for sure it's a cool car. makes me wish I would've bought it now...
    Yeah, probably what we'll buy next when the time comes for a new car. The performance and good looks it offers for the price is hard to beat.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    So I have been giving my brother shit over owning a mustang and all the usual car guy talk... even though I love the car and new 5.0 mustangs Haha. I've been trying to get him to race me but he's very hesitant Idk why but he is. I have got him into a highway race but he didn't know enough to downshift and got trashed. So my question is he right in being 'afraid' of racing me with his 11 5.0? Its a m6 I'm a4 I just don't get why he's not wanting to run them. He even asked if he'd have a chance against a new camaro. I think after his cai cat back and tune it'll make him wanna race Ahahaha Idk just wondering if I have a chance if I can launch perfect.
    if he's not a good driver you'll beat him with ease. those mt-82's can be a nightmare to shift at high rpm, and if you short shift them they fall out of their powerband real quick. don't be worried just have fun.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

To the o p does your bros 5.0 have the 3.73 rear end??? If it does its gona be hard to beat him . If it doesnt have the 3.73s then they really arent that quick. Ive raced 2 5.0s in my bone stock 02 ss and beat them both by about a fender to 100. Maybe they didnt really know how to drive their mustangs.

A fender is a pretty slim margin. Not much difference between the 2 in that instance.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Yea being ahead by a fender isnt much but it was a street race and the way i see it if they werent ahead of me at 100 mph then they probably wouldnt of beat me by much if at all in the quarter mile. ive seen a few run at our local track and not one that i have seen has done better than a 13.7 at 106.

What elevation is the track, or DA? That time is a bit on the weak side for a new 5.0 in decent conditions.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

We are 5600 feet above sea level unfortunately.

Oooo, that explains it. You are going to be nearly a second slower at those altitudes. Use the correction factor to get a time that is more in line with better conditions and that will at least give you an idea of what's possible.

I live at 5,000 ft as well, but our track is close to sea level (about 1,000 ft.) and in good weather we can see DA's below 1,000 ft during the winter months (they race year round) I've seen the auto 5.0's here with their 3.15 rear gear run bottom 13's stock, and with just a tune bottom 12's. Those auto's however have a rediculous 4.17 first gear ratio so that 3.15 rear gear is of no consequence, they are pretty damn quick. The 6 speed manuals get either a 3.31-3.55 or 3.73 but that manual 6 speed has a first gear of 2.85 or something close to that. Even with a 3.73 rear gear the manual doesn't have the first gear multipication advantage that the auto has. And since these engines are high strung with a 7,000 red line, they need gear multipication. That auto just needs a tune to come alive.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

I believe his has 3.73s but after a converter and cam I think it'll be me any run. if I can get tires to grab. suspension is on my list of must haves.

If 3.73's then it would have to be a manual trans 5.0. Now that I went back and read that I see you mentioned it.

I worry more about an auto car than I do a manual car, any car, because most people can't shift to save their life anyway.

If you plan a camshaft and converter (I'd toss some gears in too), then it's going to be a pretty good race.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If 3.73's then it would have to be a manual trans 5.0. Now that I went back and read that I see you mentioned it.

I worry more about an auto car than I do a manual car, any car, because most people can't shift to save their life anyway.

If you plan a camshaft and converter (I'd toss some gears in too), then it's going to be a pretty good race.
    I already have a 12 bolt with 3.73 and Eaton so after this winter cam I'm about done with mods ( I still owe on the car)

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have drives a 5.0 manual with 3.83 and the 6apd it's a beast. I would run one with my canned TA a4 but not with kuT bolt ones even with my 3.83's and btw if it's a stock 5.0 and a stock camaro it is a mustang win hands down. I am a GM guy but I would take a new 5.0 over a new SS any day of the week. I raced a m6 SS I. 2010to 110 and pulled a fender every time and that was without a cam before the cam just bolt ins and tune from 60 to 120. Even the new mustang V6 with a m6 is a pretty quick car. Took them a while but they finally built another good 5.0. I would get one if I wasn't saving for a C6 LS3 vette

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I have drives a 5.0 manual with 3.83 and the 6apd it's a beast. I would run one with my canned TA a4 but not with kuT bolt ones even with my 3.83's and btw if it's a stock 5.0 and a stock camaro it is a mustang win hands down. I am a GM guy but I would take a new 5.0 over a new SS any day of the week. I raced a m6 SS I. 2010to 110 and pulled a fender every time and that was without a cam before the cam just bolt ins and tune from 60 to 120. Even the new mustang V6 with a m6 is a pretty quick car. Took them a while but they finally built another good 5.0. I would get one if I wasn't saving for a C6 LS3 vette
    One reason I wouldn't buy a new mustang four GOD DAMNED CAMS. only reason they are as fast or a bit faster than a ss is the hp/lbs. same reason the r/t challenger is so hard to compare to the two its heavy now an srt I would own, its powerful and makes up the weight advantage the other two cars has, But the price tag hurts I looked at a 2010 with 24k on it and they wanted 31000 bucks. i'll stick to my 13 second trans am give or take. Out of the three I would still go with the mustang best price speed and second best comfort bellow the SRT. Also i should have mentioned my brother is 100lbs heavier than me so that swings in my favor lol.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Yea being ahead by a fender isnt much but it was a street race and the way i see it if they werent ahead of me at 100 mph then they probably wouldnt of beat me by much if at all in the quarter mile. ive seen a few run at our local track and not one that i have seen has done better than a 13.7 at 106.
    my brothers 13 5.0 a6 was running an average of 8.8 @ 80 in the 1/8 @ 3800 DA. that would be mid 13's as well.

Thread Information