Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Z28

Bench Racin'... 500+rwhp Rx-7?

Hey guys, had a guy come into work this evening who wants to run my in his rotary... can't say I know much, and my interneting isn't helping... Haven't seen the car yet, but I gathered that it's a single turbo 3rd gen with the stock rotary (not sure of internals) that made over 500 to the ground... Just wants to go for 50, from a 40-140 roll... so I know I'll get brake boosted to hell.... but I really don't know. I'm being told that his car should be an 11-flat car? Does that sound accurate? It'll be a few weeks before anything will happen, so I'm just tossin' the idea around wondering what to expect...

I'm just a bolt-on and cammed car (XER281HR) with HSW dry kit... ran an 11.73 on street tires, trapped 123 mph on motor... spraying a 175 (roughly 150 on standard "to the wheels" system, HSW seems to inflate a little, lol) Haven't been to the track with the bottle, I'm suffering from clutch hydraulic issues and lack of any safety equipment. So what should I expect? Anybody have experience with these little things?
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    Hey guys, had a guy come into work this evening who wants to run my in his rotary... can't say I know much, and my interneting isn't helping... Haven't seen the car yet, but I gathered that it's a single turbo 3rd gen with the stock rotary (not sure of internals) that made over 500 to the ground... Just wants to go for 50, from a 40-140 roll... so I know I'll get brake boosted to hell.... but I really don't know. I'm being told that his car should be an 11-flat car? Does that sound accurate? It'll be a few weeks before anything will happen, so I'm just tossin' the idea around wondering what to expect...

I'm just a bolt-on and cammed car (XER281HR) with HSW dry kit... ran an 11.73 on street tires, trapped 123 mph on motor... spraying a 175 (roughly 150 on standard "to the wheels" system, HSW seems to inflate a little, lol) Haven't been to the track with the bottle, I'm suffering from clutch hydraulic issues and lack of any safety equipment. So what should I expect? Anybody have experience with these little things?
    RX-7's are fast cars. modded RX-7's are VERY fast cars. Sounds like you should be in the 10's, but keep in mind that you can get a lot out of going from a dig... you should be able to stomp him out of the hole, but turbo cars + non-dig high up racing = very tough competition. make sure the bottle is at full pressure and run him just to see

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

itll be much of a drivers race

Blown 5.7

So what should I expect?
    Expect to be $50 lighter in your wallet. Should be fun anyway.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Well heres the deal, RX-7s weigh under 3000lbs, and with 500rwhp it should be a low 11 high 10s with a good driver, there only problem is rotarys cant make torque, 500rwhp=390rwtrq

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

lol no shit, we were just talking about that today at school. Someone mentioned that a built RX7 was racing some Camaro

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Well heres the deal, RX-7s weigh under 3000lbs, and with 500rwhp it should be a low 11 high 10s with a good driver, there only problem is rotarys cant make torque, 500rwhp=390rwtrq
    well...this is one I can actually contribute too... seeing as... um... Puerto Rico seems to be Rotary Heaven... fastest Rotary around here runs um... 7.2secs... in a little DeathTrap... at the Local Dyno... the dude has a 600+whp Rotary (last body)... told me at those HP levels the STOCK internals last about 20 passes down the track... and that he has run 9.8 in the past...

Race him... you'll probably get your ass handed to you on the highway... just hope he didn't build it right, and that it spits out a Blade or something...

GOOD LUCK

2000 Corvette

Nice little old school RX-7 (datsun looking) running around here. Has a 402 in it. Would be a hell of a sleeper if he'd quiet it down.

You got gears? 123 on motor is impressive, with a 175 shot that could get crazy. Hope the clutch holds.

Silver
    2002 Z28

No gears now, running stock 3.42s.... last 10-bolt had 4.10s in it.... so did the one before that... *sigh* Yeah, I need a 9 inch, I know.

I've got really mixed feelings on this now- if he's a low 11, high 10 car, I'm not too worried........although I am well aware of the benefits of a roll race with a good size turbo.

I'm going out there tomorrow to hopefully look- I'll snap a few pics and see if anyone can spot something I may miss. I'm getting some 10 spokes this weekend, should have rubber on them by next week, so maybe something will happen then. I may just wait until I get everything straight on my car and see if he'll go to the track... though I have a feeling I know his answer already! I'll keep everyone updated, please continue to voice your opinions or knowledge!

2000 Corvette

Was the 123 with the 4.10s?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

No gears now, running stock 3.42s.... last 10-bolt had 4.10s in it.... so did the one before that... *sigh* Yeah, I need a 9 inch, I know.

I've got really mixed feelings on this now- if he's a low 11, high 10 car, I'm not too worried........although I am well aware of the benefits of a roll race with a good size turbo.

I'm going out there tomorrow to hopefully look- I'll snap a few pics and see if anyone can spot something I may miss. I'm getting some 10 spokes this weekend, should have rubber on them by next week, so maybe something will happen then. I may just wait until I get everything straight on my car and see if he'll go to the track... though I have a feeling I know his answer already! I'll keep everyone updated, please continue to voice your opinions or knowledge!
    By any chance are you talking about the white RX-7 with the carbon fiber hood?

Silver
    2002 Z28

yeah, 123 was with motive 4.10s;

And no, I don't know the color, but since I don't live in MB anymore, I doubt we're talking about the same thing, lol...

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

lol oh yea, I forgot you moved. Well good luck, I hope you beat his anyways

2000 Corvette

yeah, 123 was with motive 4.10s;
    Wonder what MPH the RX starts getting out of its pulling gear.

With 3.42s you should be in third until the 1 teens and fourth should be good until about 150 depending on your rev limiter. Knowing his top mph pulling gear can help I think if the race parameters have not been set yet.
    Last edited by powermad; 09-29-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: mis-spelled 4th.......

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

Knowing as little as you do this one could get intense, you should throw in a dig race for kicks. Are you guys racing for money or what?

Silver
    2002 Z28

He wants to go for $50, so nothing serious... and as I said before, he wants a 40-140 roll, so I'm sure that's in his prime...

I'm love to dig race him, but my personal feelings on diggin are that it's for the track, where it's safe, and there's no excuses; I've got to make a trip to Trails in a few weeks to settle an argument with someone else, so maybe I'll just bulk 'em together... ran a kid on a Zx10R, 4 pulls on the hwy, pulled him 3x, held even once... now he wants to go from a dig... Worst part is that my bottle was empty and off... really emphasizes the notion of "driver mod" Should be a low 10, high 9 bike, and I'm holding him off on motor? Makes my night!

2000 Corvette

He wants to go for $50, so nothing serious... and as I said before, he wants a 40-140 roll, so I'm sure that's in his prime...
    Alright.. Well, make sure you have run on the road before that the run will take place on. With nitrous so there are no suprises and you know the soonest you can hit it. Is the guy with the bike you beat cool? If so maybe set them up a run and see the outcome so you know better where you stand vs. this guy.

Silver
    2002 Z28

No, the kid with the bike doesn't know anybody. The more I think about it the more I'm just wanting to take this to the track.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

No, the kid with the bike doesn't know anybody. The more I think about it the more I'm just wanting to take this to the track.
    That's your best bet man. Most people I set up races w/ back down or stand me up once I mention the track.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Thumbs up

On the bottle, perhaps you've got a better 'shot' than you think! No question though, I've heard those rotaries are wicked motors with boost... this one NEEDS to be videotaped!! You've got my vote. Win or lose, +1 for the PushroD equipped small block!!

Thread Information