Thread: beastly prelude

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

beastly prelude

Ok well today I was on my way home from just buying my new speakers, rocking out to some Killswitch Engage doing 45 on a 3-lane road(one way)
    when this p.o.s looking green prelude with chipped paint, ugly black rims, and a dented to hell hood gets up next to me and starts blip-ping his throttle. I didn't hear a turbo, just a gay sounding can. So I give him a nod with a little smirk, slow down to 35(my sweet spot) drop it into first, honk 3times and let him have it. At about 80 I look over and nearly shit myself, we're dead EVEN!. Granted I was pulling away VERY slowly but shit he was keeping up and I still couldn't hear any turbo or BOV. during his shifts. We get to the next light and both take a left, I leave it in first get to 10mph and wait for him to get next to me. He catches up and gives me a nod and I give him a thumbs up. This time he honks three times and I'm off, but this time I look left and realize i'm the only one going WOT lol. I turn right into my neighborhood and he goes his own way.

How the heck is this possible if he didn't have a turbo....or maybe he did but I just couldn't hear it? IDK it just seems like if a prelude is keeping up it must have a turbo at least the size of a boulder so it should be loud as fuck right?

white

you still got the win but some of those lil bastards are fast. Even without turbos.
    When I went to the track there was an n/a civic that ran 12.7. I don't know what he had but I walked by when the hood was popped and it didn't have a turbo

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

My friends RSX Type S not really the same car as a Prelude but he had cams and full bolt ons and was keeping up with my 310rwhp 01 E46 M3, later he went turbo and was 480fwhp. There not heavy cars and if you can get them to about 250+fwhp they are pretty good competition. What mods do you have on your Camaro.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    My friends RSX Type S not really the same car as a Prelude but he had cams and full bolt ons and was keeping up with my 310rwhp 01 E46 M3, later he went turbo and was 480fwhp. There not heavy cars and if you can get them to about 250+fwhp they are pretty good competition. What mods do you have on your Camaro.
    sig. I made like 315/315 on the dyno with these mods
    M6, MS3 Cam, FAST 92/92, LS7 Clutch, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, Lid, K&N, OBX LT's, 3in ORX True Duals, KYB AGX shocks, BMR 3-Point SFCs, BMR springs, BMR Adj. PHR, LCA Relos, STB, 315 NT555Rs, DeepDish C5Z06s.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Seems kinda simple to me. I don't see any performance mods on your list. Performance mod Head's,Cam,Nitrous etc... On top of that you roll raced with a A4. If you had a bigger converter say a 3500 it would have been different.

What model Prelude was this? Is it possible you mistaken the car for another model Honda?

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    What model Prelude was this? Is it possible you mistaken the car for another model Honda?
    if I'm not mistaken it seemed like a late 90's body style. I may be wrong but i'm not too terrible when it comes to import body styles. Why? Are preludes unusual platforms to build off of in the import community?

probl spraying the balls outta that little car

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Seems kinda simple to me. I don't see any performance mods on your list. Performance mod Head's,Cam,Nitrous etc... On top of that you roll raced with a A4. If you had a bigger converter say a 3500 it would have been different.
    x2...plus he was shifting his a4.....

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    x2...plus he was shifting his a4.....
    no need to shift. I just put in first, floor it, then immediately throw it back into D

Also I find it hard to believe a full bolt on tiny honda motor with no turbo can keep up with me when my friends full I/E sr20det can barely keep up. I'm leaning towards the possibility he was using nitrous. I mean there's no way a full bolt on 4banger with no turbo is going to make more than 4X over stock. They make around 190hp stock, so with bolt ons I can't see it making more than 240frwhp, and that's with shit torque.
    Last edited by LeadFarmer; 08-25-2010 at 08:52 PM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    How the heck is this possible if he didn't have a turbo....
    preludes/crxs/most all 90's hondas gain alot from cutting weight, my buddy has a 90's prelude with damn near everything taken out of it, and has a fiberglass bolt on hood, damn thing scoots.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I bought my ex-girlfriend a 90's style prelude with a 2.4 liter I believe with a 5-speed. For a stock car that would scoot pretty good. I would say he could've had head work and tons of spray. I have a friend who builds hondas and hates turbos. All his cars are N/A and the slowest runs 12.6 at 109. they can be quick

blue
    1999 trans am

sounds like nitrous i have a m6 trans am and i dominated a 5speed 240sx the other day

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I Raced an Accord that had a Super charger, I couldn't hear it at all. And He stayed right with me, I pulled about a half a car and it stayed like that.

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

idk my buddy had a 99 civic with a b-18 gsr that was bored out and camed and had head work done to it. it felt fast until i got my T/A but he got rid of it for a stage 2 srt-4 which felt way slower in my opinion and my car was way faster than it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

no need to shift. I just put in first, floor it, then immediately throw it back into D
    why put it in 1st ?? it will always start in first if you have it on 1,3,D ..so it is a wasted step to put it from 1st to D ....it would be better to put it in 3rd and just go.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    why put it in 1st ?? it will always start in first if you have it on 1,3,D ..so it is a wasted step to put it from 1st to D ....it would be better to put it in 3rd and just go.
    yeh but if your cruising along at let's say 35 and you floor it you have to wait for it to downshift to 1st for you and then shift back up to 2nd a few seconds later. By putting it first while your waiting for your opponent you skip one shifting step. If your going from a dig then yeh no need to put it in first. But from a roll it's necessary if you don't wanna waste time by waiting for the computer to downshift for you after you floor it.

silver
    2002 ws6

yeh but if your cruising along at let's say 35 and you floor it you have to wait for it to downshift to 1st for you and then shift back up to 2nd a few seconds later. By putting it first while your waiting for your opponent you skip one shifting step. If your going from a dig then yeh no need to put it in first. But from a roll it's necessary if you don't wanna waste time by waiting for the computer to downshift for you after you floor it.
    100% true. it astounds me how many people don't do this. it makes all the difference in the world.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    100% true. it astounds me how many people don't do this. it makes all the difference in the world.
    it really does. If you just leave it in D and go WOT it feels like massive turbo lag, especially in 2nd gear with 2.73's. That's why I always try to avoid racing from 2nd, because even if i'm against something like a stock 2v/3v stang if their a manual then they'll be able to keep up with me until I hit 3rd or at least get into the 4.5K+ range.

Good Example: I've raced my bud with an 01 cobra twice. Won once, lost once. The reason I lost once was because we did a roll from 55 and I forgot to put it in 2nd b4 we took off, so he was able to barely edge me out. The second time we went from 55 I put it in 2nd instead of D and I put about 1/2 a car on him. Like you said, Huge difference lol.

Thread Information