Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Any Camaro vs Challenger 392 stories out there?

Just wondering. I hear the Chally 392 is pretty bad azz.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hmmm no, not that i kanow of. i dont think i have even seen one yet. from what i have read the new srt 300 and charger and challenger seem to b pretty stout. also the new srt jeep 392 is supposed to be a lil slower than the old srt cherokee

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ive never seen one but i think they run low 13s with a pro driver... Theyre suppose to be pretty bad ass. I want to run one also

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    ive never seen one but i think they run low 13s with a pro driver... Theyre suppose to be pretty bad ass. I want to run one also
    Ummm, a run in the mid 12s stock is pretty routine. I've heard a couple hitting 12.37 - 12.4 also.

I ran an SRT 300 back in the spring. We left a red light and he was trying to keep a car behind him, and I wanted to move over for a semi about a 1/4 mile ahead, so it turned into a "who can get in front first" battle From about 30 mph on up to about 100 mph.
    I should have downshifted back to second ( I was already in third ) But I didn't really know what it was at first, thought it would be easy. All I saw was a big fancy grill that looked like a mercedes benz.

He had it floored with a head of steam coming by 40 mph, I'm still in 3rd with the pedal down. He climbed to my back bumper but I finally started to pull away, hit 4th with 4-5 cars between us and moved over. We all drove around the semi and he moved back over and pulled up along side. By this time we are all cruising 70 mph. He wanted to go again I just let him go, figured he had a run on me and still couldn't get around so I knew what the outcome would be, especially if I had a chance to choose the right gear . He punched it anyway and took off. That's when I saw the SRT8 emblem on the trunk lid and knew it was the big hemi. When he took off at 70 mph I wasn't that impressed. Kind of moved away slower than I expected. He also had this somewhat disgusted look on his face

white

I ran against a friends 2011 challenger with the 6.4. drag was close but a freeway race was a completely different story. It was embarrassing almost like i was standing still.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    Ummm, a run in the mid 12s stock is pretty routine. I've heard a couple hitting 12.37 - 12.4 also.
    keyword "think" lol

Blue
    2002-WS6

havent ran into one yet myself, i do keep my eyes open though, lol
    2011 GS

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

I saw one on the freeway but the guy driving it acted like he didnt see me. I did race an srt 8 challenger from a dead stop, pulled on him about 3/4 of a car length to about 85mph. After that we both got on the freeway. we took off together from about 50 mph roll, He pulled on me pretty good. From a dead stop they are heavy cars and dont take off well even with lower gearing but once that mass gets rolling they have tons of torque and they pull real hard. Now i know not to race on a roll. Those hemis are torque monsters

silver
    2002 ws6

there has been a couple dip into the 12.3's or so. they are a 12 second car and arguably faster then either the camaro or 5.0. but quite a bit more money than either.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

When I just had LT's, exhaust, a lid and 4.11 gears with Nitto DR's I smoked every 300C SRT8 and Jeep SRT8 I ever came across.

Not sure on the new Challenger's, but I really don't have to worry about that now

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    When I just had LT's, exhaust, a lid and 4.11 gears with Nitto DR's I smoked every 300C SRT8 and Jeep SRT8 I ever came across.

Not sure on the new Challenger's, but I really don't have to worry about that now
    You sure wouldnt have smoked my light Bolt on SRT8 with those mods lol I run dead even with my friends full bolt on, geared dyno tuned 02 Z28 that makes 358rwhp

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    keyword "think" lol
    No my friend its not a think....its a I know. The Challenger 392, 300 SRT8 and Charger are all 12.50 cars @112-114 right off the showroom floor. There are many videos out now of this. The fastest time for a stock 392 is 12.2@114 with a handful of others running 12.3 - 12.4. A stock or bolt on LS1 will get beat.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    the 6.4 300 SRT8 just hit dealers last month. So to run one would mean they are showroom stock.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRiderWs6 View Post
    You sure wouldnt have smoked my light Bolt on SRT8 with those mods lol I run dead even with my friends full bolt on, geared dyno tuned 02 Z28 that makes 358rwhp
    No my friend its not a think....its a I know. The Challenger 392, 300 SRT8 and Charger are all 12.50 cars @112-114 right off the showroom floor. There are many videos out now of this. The fastest time for a stock 392 is 12.2@114 with a handful of others running 12.3 - 12.4. A stock or bolt on LS1 will get beat.
    the 6.4 300 SRT8 just hit dealers last month. So to run one would mean they are showroom stock.
    I would tend to agree. The one I played with was very early this year, so I'm certain that was the smaller SRT8 version (6.1) It was a 300 SRT8, and even that thing ran pretty damn strong and surprised me. My wifes SS has a small cam, headers, etc....and traps 111+ in the AZ heat, and it took me quite a while to start pulling away. I certainly wouldn't have stood a chance with a stock LS1 or even mild bolt ons. Those SRT's are nothing to sneeze at, that's for sure.
    For the record, they don't quite run that fast out here in the AZ heat, the stock 392's I've seen out here are low 13's at about 110 mph at best. Better conditions of course would yield better times.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-21-2011 at 03:06 PM.

silver
    2002 ws6

well you aren't going to run into one with much more than mild bolt ons since you cant tune them.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My best friend has a Jeep SRT8 and from a slow roll (20-30mph) I left him standing still.

300C SRT8 I raced from a dig and was up over a car length by the middle of 3rd gear and was pulling on him before I had to slow down due to traffic.

He (friend) was running mid to high 13's at the track. I was running a 13.1 with a lot left on the table trapping at 109. That, to me, is beating someone pretty badly.

Definitely were not 1 car length beats.

Maybe me being a stick and instantly grabbing versus an auto had something to do with it? No idea, just stating the facts. This was also after all my suspension mods.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My best friend has a Jeep SRT8 and from a slow roll (20-30mph) I left him standing still.

300C SRT8 I raced from a dig and was up over a car length by the middle of 3rd gear and was pulling on him before I had to slow down due to traffic.

He (friend) was running mid to high 13's at the track. I was running a 13.1 with a lot left on the table trapping at 109. That, to me, is beating someone pretty badly.

Definitely were not 1 car length beats.

Maybe me being a stick and instantly grabbing versus an auto had something to do with it? No idea, just stating the facts. This was also after all my suspension mods.
    Yea but were you stock when you beat those vehicles??? If you had bolt ons and they were stock then its not too surprising that you beat them

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As I stated above, I had LT's, 3" ORY, catback, lid, 4.11 gears, and drag radials. Car was tuned and put down 330rwhp and 342rwtq on a Mustang Dyno with a Moser 9".

white
    1998 Pontiac firebird

It's always amazing how when a new car comes out everybody got one that is so BAD ASS and nothing else is even close. The new camaro's came out and were blazing into low 12's stock auto or stick wow. Then the 5.0L mustang GT's were running low 12's and spanking the SS camaro's ass everywhere running anyway they wanted to run now the big 392 hemi is running low 12's and is spanking everything with it's lead filled ass. I have been a poor country boy racing everything I can drive against any thing that wants to race. Does anyone believe that the new cars that come out first might be a little more powerful than the rest for bait to sell more units or just lies to sell more units?? I've seen new SS's running flat 13's high 12's stock. I've heard that the 5.0's run well into the 12's but I have not seen that with my own eyes. I've seen the 6.1L hemi's in the chanenger run 14.10's stock. I've seen the SS's also running low to mid 14's stock and new 5.0's running mid 13's. If a powerful car or truck has traction problem off the line it will be hard to run better than low 13's unless the power level is really high and it hooks really good for the rest or the 1/4.
    My car is a formula 98 model with LS1 auto 273 gears. Mostly stock has a SLP cold air kit lid. EGR delete. Old school tuner HPT power programmer III 160k miles with street tires 2.3 60' 13.70@105 with ET street tires runs 13.40@105.55
    Getts 26mpg with AC

Thread Information