Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

another civic story...

soooo.... this guy at work has this civic with either a k20 or k24 swap. all motor... and some suspension mods. a quick wiki of the k20 and there is a 260hp version out, which i would imagine in a light car could be a little pesky. the k24 however is 180-200, not to worried about that.

im not too worried, pretty much all i have is a catback. ive run at 12.8 before at the track, and i doubt hes anywhere near that.

it was pretty funny, he said im done for when i said all i had was an exhaust, he said his truck could beat me. then said his truck ran high 14's, and his civic was a little faster. kinda scary though, i almost choked on my chicken nuggets, thought i was gonna die for a second. he said he has never run it at the track.

hopefully he beats me, that way i have an excuse to get a cam.

white
    2000 Z28

just a k20 is near 260 fwhp tops. without boost it isnt a big deal. unless that car is at crx weight you have no worries. besides fwd plus a lil power equals no traction with a newb driver

white

First off smack him across the face for being ignorant. Second run a race and play with him then for double or nothing and let it loose. If you've run a 12.8 then I don't think there is a chance in hell unless hes got some huge tricks up his sleeve which would be hard to hide.
    Last edited by pk222; 01-30-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    soooo.... this guy at work has this civic with either a k20 or k24 swap. all motor... and some suspension mods. a quick wiki of the k20 and there is a 260hp version out, which i would imagine in a light car could be a little pesky. the k24 however is 180-200, not to worried about that.

im not too worried, pretty much all i have is a catback. ive run at 12.8 before at the track, and i doubt hes anywhere near that.

it was pretty funny, he said im done for when i said all i had was an exhaust, he said his truck could beat me. then said his truck ran high 14's, and his civic was a little faster. kinda scary though, i almost choked on my chicken nuggets, thought i was gonna die for a second. he said he has never run it at the track.

hopefully he beats me, that way i have an excuse to get a cam.
    I personally drove a swapped Civic hatchback with a K20 swap (bolt-ons only with drag radials) to a 12.8@109mph. I did three 12s passes pretty easily that night.

Careful, make sure your work mates car is on street tires and you run him from a dig. If not, it may very well play out like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiog1IQUoZs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiog1IQUoZs[/ame]

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Yes they can be fast, any car can be made to be quick. However, in the end, you're still driving a 4 cylinder FWD econobox. Ugly. When I go out to get in my car, I still think it's a cool design, with the bonus of V8 and RWD.

But OP, sounds like you won't have any problem beating that particular Civic.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^Yes they can be fast, any car can be made to be quick. However, in the end, you're still driving a 4 cylinder FWD econobox. Ugly. When I go out to get in my car, I still think it's a cool design, with the bonus of V8 and RWD.

But OP, sounds like you won't have any problem beating that particular Civic.
    I prefer the RWD myself.

white

Not to get off subject but how long did that motor last superluminal? Don't take that as me bashing on civics I'm not, I'm kind of amazed

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    Not to get off subject but how long did that motor last superluminal? Don't take that as me bashing on civics I'm not, I'm kind of amazed
    What do you mean? It was a totally stock motor with bolt ons. How long did it last? It would probably last forever with regular maintenance. He sold it to some guy in Georgia. He brought it down for an event at the end of last year. Still running great 4 years later.

My friends car has a totally stock K20 in it running a GT35R turbo kit on 12-14psi. His best run to date is a 10.69@133. The valve cover has never been off the car. Only regular maintenance has been done. It's just has good supporting mods and tuning. This setup has been in his car for more than 2 years now. It has made around 60 track passes (that I've witnessed), and is driven all the time on the street.

50-110mph pull:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsg2HZskXbk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsg2HZskXbk[/ame]

Here is an older run we have recorded (12psi):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em2gdW6pddY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em2gdW6pddY[/ame]

Catching the speed of a 10s Supra and 240SX:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxVsgWc07w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxVsgWc07w[/ame]

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    What do you mean? It was a totally stock motor with bolt ons. How long did it last? It would probably last forever with regular maintenance. He sold it to some guy in Georgia. He brought it down for an event at the end of last year. Still running great 4 years later.

My friends car has a totally stock K20 in it running a GT35R turbo kit on 12-14psi. His best run to date is a 10.69@133. The valve cover has never been off the car. Only regular maintenance has been done. It's just has good supporting mods and tuning. This setup has been in his car for more than 2 years now. It has made around 60 track passes (that I've witnessed), and is driven all the time on the street.

50-110mph pull:

Here is an older run we have recorded (12psi):

Catching the speed of a 10s Supra and 240SX:

thoroughly impressed

white

I've never seen anything like that honestly. Its either stock civics that think their the shit or really heavily modded ones that actually are but didn't think that could be possible with just an engine swap and turbo. Might have to pick up a project car as a sleeper to go along with my own ignorance haha. Also I was thinking going to 7000 rpm or over that often wouldn't last very long, not just on hondas but anything

Back to the op, Whats the outcome?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Also interested in knowing the outcome!

Buddy of mine I went to high school with had built a pretty sweet 80s model turbo RX7 that was wicked fast. He's now got some early 90s civic hatch w/ a K-series engine, turbo/IC all that good stuff. Apparently, THE CAR has run a best of 6.8 at the local 1/8th mile track w/ no traction. So he's been stocking up on factory axles and plans on trailering the car every time he goes to the track. Should be interesting to see what he runs for sure (without breaking it)

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well good luck and post up a video of yall racing

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I've never seen anything like that honestly. Its either stock civics that think their the shit or really heavily modded ones that actually are but didn't think that could be possible with just an engine swap and turbo. Might have to pick up a project car as a sleeper to go along with my own ignorance haha. Also I was thinking going to 7000 rpm or over that often wouldn't last very long, not just on hondas but anything

I know a couple of guys with 60-100kmiles on there 01-03 f4is, those engines rev to 15,000rpms

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^15,000 RPM? On a street engine? What am I missing here? 60-100,000 miles on that engine? I don't believe it. Or, educate me and tell me what car that engine is in, I've never heard of a f4is.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^15,000 RPM? On a street engine? What am I missing here? 60-100,000 miles on that engine? I don't believe it. Or, educate me and tell me what car that engine is in, I've never heard of a f4is.

This is because most people don't know what they are doing. You can't just throw a nice turbo kit on and not spend some serious time tuning it and learning to drive the car properly. I have a group of friends that all have fast imports.

Another one of my friends built a 1.6L B16 motor and put a Full Race GT35R (twin scroll) turbo kit on it. After much tuning and some practice he went 10.9@129mph on 16psi of boost. This is on a 1.6L engine!

Yet another friend, who is our wiring magician, has a K24 motor in his CRX with a custom intake manifold and cam. He's doing 11.3@120mph on the motor only. This is an amazing car to ride in due to the responsiveness.

Also, to my final point. If you do everything right, get a quality setup, with a good tune, and some seat time, there is no reason why an LS1 can't best the cars I listed above given the same money, regardless of your heavy F-body curb weights.
    Last edited by Superluminal; 02-02-2010 at 08:39 AM.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Also, to my final point. If you do everything right, get a quality setup, with a good tune, and some seat time, there is no reason why an LS1 can't best the cars I listed above given the same money, regardless of your heavy F-body curb weights.[/QUOTE]

+1 couldnt agree more

white

Guess all the tuning and drivers are just crap where I live. I know a guy with a twin turbo g35 and thats one of the fastest cars I've been in but wont stay on the street longer than a week It smokes like crazy backfires, bucks and will randomly shutdown from over boosting. But on the occasion it does run right it pulls hard. So I do see your point in the tuning. But then again this is a twin turbo v6 running 25 pounds of boost so I still haven't gotten the sense of a n/a 4 cylinder running 11's and being streetable but I would love to see it.

Guess all the tuning and drivers are just crap where I live. I know a guy with a twin turbo g35 and thats one of the fastest cars I've been in but wont stay on the street longer than a week It smokes like crazy backfires, bucks and will randomly shutdown from over boosting. But on the occasion it does run right it pulls hard. So I do see your point in the tuning. But then again this is a twin turbo v6 running 25 pounds of boost so I still haven't gotten the sense of a n/a 4 cylinder running 11's and being streetable but I would love to see it.
    G35s weigh more than F-bodies in some cases. A little Civic econobox isn't going to have the luxuries that you get in a G35. A fully loaded '92-95 Civic hatchback weighs around 2100lbs. depending on model. You just can't beat that power to weight ratio. The only downside to these cars is the FWD setup.

As far as being streetable, did I not post a bunch of videos above? Stay out of boost, and that car drives like a normal street car all day long. It has full interior, a sprung clutch, a nice stereo unit, and gets well over 30mpg with the 6 speed transmission.

Also my friends N/A K24 CRX is very streetable. It also has a sprung clutch, and the cam isn't overly aggressive. This car is also full interior and has a nice stereo unit.

Here's a video of my friend's 1.6L Honda running 10s, and the K24 CRX running low 11s:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Wk7_okKwM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Wk7_okKwM[/ame]

If you have any questions let me know.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

we havnt raced yet, theres a foot of global warming on the ground. my car is stuck in the garage.

Thread Information