www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

98 z28 vs 07 Cl63 AMG

I found this guy in a black cl63 amg on rims one night driving around quite quickly. I turned right, he followed. I goosed the throttle, he was right there. I stuck my hand out the window and gave the thumbs up, he flashed his lights.. WE GOT A WINNER HERE.

I flagged him down and pointed towards the airport, he followed. I hammered it and got the z squirrelly just to give him a preview of what he was getting himself into.. Traction control kicked in when it hammered into first, and then the second curve perfectly timed got it squirrelly again going into second, which traction control kicked in perfectly. I would have loved to see my car from behind slide to the right a nudge, and then to the left a nudge as the gears ripped through. The scream of my motor was enough to scare off any critters that may have been lurking in the surrounding floridian jungle. Night time, wild tail lights and tire smoke... Ahh i love it... The benz persisted, and followed, but not very close after smashing it to the floor through those corners. I thought, wow, I'm going to smoke this one...

We lined up, and someone was pulling behind us a couple of blocks.. I got out of the way, courtesy, and let them through. I relined back up and we sat... Honk, Honk, Honk-GO!!!!

I couldn't hear his motor until it got whined up, and then it sounded like a bee.

Well I raced, and lost. But! I had him until about 65-70mph. I dont know by how far but it was enough not to see him next to me anymore. Then he creeped up, and slowly passed as I went into third. He started to pull away slowly, and I gave up.

with my hp mods, it says im 4.2 in the 0-60, which racing this dude and the specs on his car its about right~

I was in shock. A $100k benz coup, AMG, I kept up with it... and I actually had it out of the hole! The guy was really nice though, didn't rub it in my face too badly... I stated "Dude, that car is f*ckin fast! I'm even cammed out!!!!!" he said, "I know, I hear it."

I had to ask what he paid, he said about $100 grand... I only paid $8k, but kept it to myself because I didn't know this guy and well lets face it.. A young dude in a 100k benz in florida, willing to race, doesn't send the safest signals. LMAO, I did not want to get shot b/c im a mouthy red neck.
    Last edited by eautocad; 10-27-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

A good death!

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

i was happy he let me see that benz in action... truly amazing!

"The CL63's 6,208cc V8 makes 514 hp and a whopping 465 lb-ft of deep-seated torque, which makes it the world's most powerful, normally aspirated, series production V8"
    Last edited by eautocad; 10-11-2007 at 12:51 PM.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

theres nothing better than a good racing story!

Red
    2002 T/A Firehawk

Thumbs up

Nice dude! I've always loved racing those Mercedes AMG cars..

2007 Mercedes CL63 AMG

2002 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk
    Hooker LT Headers | Magnaflow HF Cats | Corsa Exhaust | SLP STB | Ported TB
    ASP UD Pulley | EFI Live Tuned | 17x9/17x11 Gunmetal ZR1s | 275/315 GY GSD3's
    344rwhp/356 rwtq - Video | Sheet

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

What are your mods?

I'm figuring an F-body with 425 or more rwhp will beat these MB's. They are quick, no question, but I'm also fairly certain that MB is being very generous with their performance specs.

The v12 in the 600 series rates 517 hp, but they weigh almost 4900 pounds. MB is not real quick to mention that. They are also limited to 155 mph here in the US (but I'm sure there are programmers ready to fix that).

I found it sad in a recent road test to 200 mph with a selection of supercars that the DRAG limited McLaren failed to break into the 200 mph club although MB claims it is capable of 207 mph. Excuses abounded. A bunch of people brag that their 500 and 600 series can hit 200 mph. Do the math, even without a speed limiter, 517 crank horsepower ain't gonna move almost two and a half tons to that speed. Look at the new Viper; 600 hp, 3400 pounds, way more slippery in the air, and it only does 202 mph according to a recent test. I think MB has reached a level where their cars can't produce the performance that their mouths claim.

The AMG's are great cars...way too expensive....but I guess if you're filthy rich, what the hell.

Of course, just think how the owner would feel when a $10,000 F-body with another $5000 in mods smokes them!!!

white
    92 Talon

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    What are your mods?

I'm figuring an F-body with 425 or more rwhp will beat these MB's. They are quick, no question, but I'm also fairly certain that MB is being very generous with their performance specs.

The v12 in the 600 series rates 517 hp, but they weigh almost 4900 pounds. MB is not real quick to mention that. They are also limited to 155 mph here in the US (but I'm sure there are programmers ready to fix that).

I found it sad in a recent road test to 200 mph with a selection of supercars that the DRAG limited McLaren failed to break into the 200 mph club although MB claims it is capable of 207 mph. Excuses abounded. A bunch of people brag that their 500 and 600 series can hit 200 mph. Do the math, even without a speed limiter, 517 crank horsepower ain't gonna move almost two and a half tons to that speed. Look at the new Viper; 600 hp, 3400 pounds, way more slippery in the air, and it only does 202 mph according to a recent test. I think MB has reached a level where their cars can't produce the performance that their mouths claim.

The AMG's are great cars...way too expensive....but I guess if you're filthy rich, what the hell.

Of course, just think how the owner would feel when a $10,000 F-body with another $5000 in mods smokes them!!!
    Im new here, have read here for awhile and generaly enjoy the information thats available so with that said im not a troll. However the comment above doenst make much sense to me do you really think the mercedes owner cares if his 100k car got smoked by a 10k f-body with 5k in mods?. The same thing could be asked, do you care that a 2k dsm with 5k in mods smokes your modded f-body? Probably not since the F-body is the car you own and like, also I might add that technologically speaking GM has a long way to catch up to Mercedes.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetalon92 View Post
    Im new here, have read here for awhile and generaly enjoy the information thats available so with that said im not a troll. However the comment above doenst make much sense to me do you really think the mercedes owner cares if his 100k car got smoked by a 10k f-body with 5k in mods?. The same thing could be asked, do you care that a 2k dsm with 5k in mods smokes your modded f-body? Probably not since the F-body is the car you own and like, also I might add that technologically speaking GM has a long way to catch up to Mercedes.
    Wow, you chose your first post to counter me. I'm touched.

I agree that MB's are way ahead in the comfort and technical aspects of luxury cars, but this site is about performance more than anything. That's what I'm speaking of.

BTW, I'm in the Charlotte area and we are absolutely inundated with wealthy folks driving expensive cars. You will see fifty $100,000 cars for every F-body. They are everywhere!!!

Lastly, yes I wholeheartedly believe that when a man unloads 100K or more on a car, figures a little old LSx is easy pickings, and then proceeds to get schooled, he ain't gonna be happy.

And I don't street race, I'm a cop.

Pewter
    99 Z/28

this thread is getting interesting! where's teh popcorn smily?

opcorn: , gone ! Ed !!!!

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    What are your mods?

My mods are

Formato install&tune
    comp cam 224-581
    intake manifold port
    throttle body port
    maf descreened
    kn&lid
    ram air mod
    egr mod
    3400 stall
    rebuilt trans
    c6 rims
    mid length headers
    true dual dump h-pipe
    2 magnaflows
    no kitty cats
    Max energy tune
    MSD Wires

If you have a fbody that's more modded than mine, chances are you'll beat him. If I had a better rear end, a FAST intake and TB, and some heads... Shoot i would have won! Might have needed NOS though for the top end. The mercedes is faster at top end than low.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetalon92 View Post

LOL in no way is any Fbody even comparable to that Mercedes. GM vs Benz is like comparing apples to oranges. The mercedes is BY FAR SUPERIOR, BUT IT COSTS MORE. Considering performance, the fbody offers more bang for the buck than the mercedes. That is the only positive I see when comparing GM's fbody to a Mercedes CL63AMG.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by eautocad View Post
    LOL in no way is any Fbody even comparable to that Mercedes. GM vs Benz is like comparing apples to oranges. The mercedes is BY FAR SUPERIOR, BUT IT COSTS MORE. Considering performance, the fbody offers more bang for the buck than the mercedes. That is the only positive I see when comparing GM's fbody to a Mercedes CL63AMG.
    I wholly agree with that, except that an F-body that is really thought about can turn heads even easier. Around here, F-bodies are much rarier than MB and only the more involved enthusiasts know the difference with the AMG packages.

I swear that MB has to be in cahoots with car magazines when it comes to performance ratings. All that luxury means a lot of added weight and THAT is where the performance takes a hit. Obviously, AMG stuff is cutting edge, that's their forte, but weight is the enemy of horsepower and MB's have loads of it.

A prime example of another builder's car is the Shelby Cobra Mustang that was just tested by R&T. It has 607hp, but the best they could do was 0-60 in 4.4 seconds (presumably limited by lots of wheelspin in first and second) and a mid-12 run in the 1/4. It said that the car dyno'ed around 570 rwhp, but it also weighs just under 4000 pounds. That gives it a power to weight ratio of about seven pounds per rwhp, yet it only does a 12.4?

Take an F-body around 3450 pounds and using the same 7 pounds per hp figure and it would take 494 rwhp to be technically "equal" to that Mustang. Now tell me how many F-bodies out there with 494 rwhp can't run better than a 12.4 with a decent driver?

Which brings us back to the MB's. The weight of those cars is tremendous. They are magnificent cars where luxury abounds, but from a performance standpoint, it's like having a fast NFL defensive end in a sprint with Carl Lewis.
    Last edited by jad628; 11-19-2007 at 04:57 AM.

Thread Information