Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

6.0 V12 SL600 vs SHELBY GT500

About a month ago. I was going down the road as usual. All of the sudden a car starts coming up fast from behind. This guy in a white with blue racing stripe's GT500 pulls up next me/slam's on his brake's. He say's what can that thang do. I have not run my vehicle like that before head to head. So I really didnt know. I told him I wouldnt go from a stop. His vehicle probley 3400lbs just guessing. Mine 4,400lbs. So no DIGS. He said he had a vette before and he gets better traction with the Stang. I thought it would be the exact opposite.

So we go from 40. He has a manual obviously. Mine auto obviously. He got 1/2 lenght right off, since I didnt manualy down shift. Numbers climb very fast!!!!!!!!! At 100mph I started to pull back hard. At 105mph I had almost all of that 1/2 lenght back I was at his Door. He let out and would not run me again. I told him I was in 4th when I punched it and want to go again. He would not.

"Something has to be said about any vehicle that pulls as hard from 100mph as it did to 100mph." That is a quote from TOPGEAR when they test drove it in january 2001.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

sweet! gotta love the amg's. well is yours an amg? i ran a cl65 one time from a 70 roll. some old guy. biggest mistake i made

Black & Brilliant Silver

No AMG. Just BADASS!!!!

Thinking about putting renntech exhaust on, but I dont want it to be obnoxious. My truck is obnoxious, and I luv it. Ceramic long tubes, true dual's no cats, and flow's with 4" dump's. Tree Fitty

I just want the SL to sound more like most other V12's. It sounds great above 3500rpm, but you are going way to fast at that engine speed, in every gear.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I would say good race if you didn't already seem to have a big head about it. So instead, here's a couple thoughts on the race:

GT500s have a curb weight of just under 4000 lbs.

Holding off a GT500 in 4th at 40 mph is a little too stout to believe if the guy was in the right gear (2nd). GT500s make 500 hp and weigh less than your car. You make, correct me if I'm wrong, 389 hp and weigh ~400 lbs more. Perhaps he was in 5th?

I don't wanna say that it didn't happen, because anything can on the streets, but I was hoping you could clear up any misconception that I have about your car.

Thanks,

Chris

Black & Brilliant Silver

Exclamation

Dude I am not an idiot. I have an auto. It took a less than a tenth of a second to down shift. AUTO VS STICK. That is where he got the 1/2 length.

also the 500 hp is BS. Check out motor trend where the 500 hp beast got stole on by the ls2 400hp 400tq vette.

Anyways I probley shouldnt have responded to this.

go troll somewhere else, leave me and my BIG HEAD alone.

You really thought, that I thought I was racing a guy that didnt down shift. and I drive an auto that doesnt down shift and we were tearing it up a 1,200rpm's????? roflau

Some people's kid's man.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by D!ck View Post
    also the 500 hp is BS. Check out motor trend where the 500 hp beast got stole on by the ls2 400hp 400tq vette.
    Yep, this incredibly dense statement confirms my suspicions about you. The GT500 makes the full 500hp....no BS. And, don't compare your 389hp (assuming my limited research is correct) to the vette's 400, because the vette has you by over 1000 lbs...

You very well might have a performance advantage over a GT500, but I would like you to pull your obnoxious head out and help me to understand why. I can see that you're too high-class to discuss such topics with the lowly dregs of society like me.

Since I actually own an LS1 and have been on this board since 2001, maybe you should be the one to go troll elsewhere, ass. I'm sure there's a Mercedes board around where you'd have the members unquestioningly drooling over this story.

Chris

+ 1 , take your benz attitude somewhere else.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/mer...740/specs.html

Can this be right? .83 g on the skidpad? 5.7 seconds to 60mph? This is "badass?" Handles as well as an Abrams battle tank, and doesn't accelerate as fast as my 2 year older bone-stock vette (let alone a GT500)? At least it's holding its value well. Wait, not that either, its worth 14-19k now. Well, at least it gets good mileage, if you consider 19mpg good.

Ouch!

Chris

Black & Brilliant Silver

Smile

My other vehicle is a nitrous truck. I have been on this board for years aswell.

I put up a thread in the kills section about a kill. So I am talking about my car to much?

The GT500 got destroyed by the vette, but not off the line they were close at 60 then at 100 vette starts to leave hard at 120 talkin major lengths. Its more about power curve, aroe dynamics, and 421tq doesnt hurt.

if you dont like a thread the best thing is not to post in it, less flame's

Black & Brilliant Silver

Dude what is your problem?

http://www.topgear.com/drives/C7/K6/...sts/01/01.html

It's not an outright sportscar like the Porsche, not a sexy looker like the NSX, not as outrageous as the Diablo, and not a piece of hand-built luxury like either the Bentley or Aston Martin. So what is the point of the hugely expensive SL600?

To discover the answer, press your right foot down. To the backing of a mellow moan, the surroundings go into reverse and dots on the horizon zoom into focus. There is something special about a car that accelerates from 100mph as fast as it accelerates to 100mph. Something even more special about a V12 engine whose power delivery is so smooth it doesn't break sweat.

The SL600's less powerful V8 and six-cylinder siblings are still unconventionally priced but offer more conventional performance. The SL600 itself is hard to appreciate on a single day - its virtues are subtle and easily overlooked. Even that magnificent engine purrs rather than roars out its power. It would probably be easy to live with for a year, though, thanks to its immaculate build quality.

And as for the sheer prowess of the machine, well, that can't fail to impress. Its steering and handling don't have the precision of the NSX or Porsche but the full weight of Mercedes technology is always on your side. Automatic skid control to prevent wheelspin and adaptive damping that stiffens up the suspension are everyday assets, while a roll hoop that flips up in milli-seconds as well as side and front airbags could save your life. The SL's detachable hardtop could come in useful in a British winter, too.

For Subtle, safe, civilised, fast
    Against Only the price

Black & Brilliant Silver

you cant compare 0-60 numbers. I said no digs!!! thats right it does 0-60 in 5.7 and it come's in at 4473 lbs and it rides like a mercedes. On the highway it never even thinks about slowing down, till the limiter hits. oh you dont have one of those can you do all of 155?

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Don't dish it out if you can't take it... I asked for you to clear up any misconceptions in my first post, and you tried to slam me because I misinterpretted your meaning when you said, "since I didnt manualy down shift." Based on the numbers alone, I'd say you don't have a chance in hell of running down a properly driven GT500. Before, I was asking nicely for you to tell me about your car. Since you didn't, I took the initiative and have already done the research, and what I see is a tank with 4 more cylinders than usual, yet a relatively weak power/weight ratio. It can't get out of its own way in acceleration or handling, and you beat the driver in a GT500, not the car. I'd be interested to see if you could get better than a mid 13 from your SL600 in the 1/4. 0-60 or 1/4, that weight doesn't magically go away.

Yes, my vette, though stock, can do about 20 more than 155mph. I don't really see much point in that, because there's no autobahn here in the states, but I've opened it up on nice straight highways a few times and have personally seen just shy of 170, and it was still going. That's not bragging, just answering your question.

Chris

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

Dude I am not an idiot. I have an auto. It took a less than a tenth of a second to down shift. AUTO VS STICK. That is where he got the 1/2 length.

Anyways I probley shouldnt have responded to this.

go troll somewhere else, leave me and my BIG HEAD alone.

You really thought, that I thought I was racing a guy that didnt down shift. and I drive an auto that doesnt down shift and we were tearing it up a 1,200rpm's????? roflau

Some people's kid's man.
    do you have the link to that page I'd like to read up on that

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Sorry dick, but lol at this thread.

And good kill...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

oh you dont have one of those can you do all of 155?
    Just about any car that has an LS engine in it will do more then 155 before the gov kicks in. And to have been on here for several years and to have as many posts as you do and not know that these cars can do that kinda speed just seems like you are on here to be snob and rub the fact that you own a benz in our face. Also I could care less about what the guys at top gear say if it is not a $100000 car they trash it.

10's N/A

Nice kill (and nice car) to the Mercedez guy! Those GT500's are such a dissapointment.

Black & Brilliant Silver

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    you beat the driver in a GT500, not the car
    Chris
    No I actually got beat by the driver. He was ready to race and I was cruising down the road in D.

When you are pulling em in. In third you are beating the car.

I wish I could just find you on a highway show you some speed and that would settle it all, but this is the net and you gota do your flame thing.

You did not just want to ask me about my car.

FIRST SENTENCE FIRST POST!!!

Dont misremember, you said "I would say good race if you didn't already seem to have a big head about it."

Ya you were totaly impartial out of the gate????

your right your just a nice guy that wants to know some spec's.

Got all your spec's right here

Do you really have a gm? or just another F O R D acronym

yes 13's would be fast for the tank, but that aint its game. I got a n2o 350 that is more that speed. stop light KILLA

you cant even do burnout's in the benz, ESP flips the fuck out. I guess they dont think anybody would want to fry pilot's?

Black & Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Nice kill (and nice car) to the Mercedez guy! Those GT500's are such a dissapointment.
    thank you. that looks like one bad ass lt4.

Black & Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris7000 View Post
    do you have the link to that page I'd like to read up on that
    I was wrong its not motor trend it was car and driver. I just google'd vette vs gt500.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

However, when it comes to pure performance, the GT500 has trouble hanging with the Vette. It prevailed in only two tests, beating the Vette in the lane change by 1.3 mph and outgunning the Chevy in the 50-to-70-mph top-gear acceleration run — 8.8 seconds versus 9.1.

I should go out and by a ricestang. IT ALREADY HAS THE STICKER!!!!!!

Black & Brilliant Silver

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/mer...740/specs.html

Can this be right? .83 g on the skidpad? 5.7 seconds to 60mph? This is "badass?" Handles as well as an Abrams battle tank, and doesn't accelerate as fast as my 2 year older bone-stock vette (let alone a GT500)? At least it's holding its value well. Wait, not that either, its worth 14-19k now. Well, at least it gets good mileage, if you consider 19mpg good.

Ouch!

Chris
    AND IT WAS ALSO STOLEN IN "Gone in Sixty Seconds"

Thread Information